Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

I hate the FROOT era... The melodies are boring (except FROOT and Happy) , the lyrics are awful (except FROOT and Happy), Her vocals are beautiful but not interesting at all and the videos are boring....

I AM MY ONLY GOD

The thing about FROOT is...

For me, it's honestly just kind of a little weird, how she's putting out the songs and the videos. She knows it's different and I guess it /is/ for the fans, but it kind of beats the album hype when you've already heart most of the tracks. The quality of the music isn't bad at all, so much better than Electra Heart so far, and "FROOT" and "Happy" are both excellent songs.

The visuals and themes for this album is just a little confusing to me. One, she has this 'sci-fi technicolor fruit in space' theme as a visual introduction to FROOT, but absolutely nothing else follows up with it. There's no link between the visuals of any of the videos or even photography/single covers. I'm not saying everything has to be the same, but for me there's a huge disconnection between everything she's putting out. Is it just me? Also, whoever designed the new "Marina And The Diamonds" logo needs to stop.

The FROOT Video, which was beautiful, was a bit boring-- but then again, the more I think about Marina's videos, they're all mostly just her looking pretty and that's about it. Minimally boring but still visually pleasing, the video for "I'm A Ruin" is similar to FROOT in that way, it's pretty to look at, but that's mostly about it. She also looked kind of awkward in the water and even though I wanted more of that scene, it definitely took a lot of CGI/After Effects to add on to her.

I'm still excited, though. Hoping for more songs like FROOT and Happy.

tumblr_ni9eu5I7Qh1qzmb8eo5_500.png

The thing about FROOT is...

For me, it's honestly just kind of a little weird, how she's putting out the songs and the videos. She knows it's different and I guess it /is/ for the fans, but it kind of beats the album hype when you've already heart most of the tracks. The quality of the music isn't bad at all, so much better than Electra Heart so far, and "FROOT" and "Happy" are both excellent songs.

The visuals and themes for this album is just a little confusing to me. One, she has this 'sci-fi technicolor fruit in space' theme as a visual introduction to FROOT, but absolutely nothing else follows up with it. There's no link between the visuals of any of the videos or even photography/single covers. I'm not saying everything has to be the same, but for me there's a huge disconnection between everything she's putting out. Is it just me? Also, whoever designed the new "Marina And The Diamonds" logo needs to stop.

The FROOT Video, which was beautiful, was a bit boring-- but then again, the more I think about Marina's videos, they're all mostly just her looking pretty and that's about it. Minimally boring but still visually pleasing, the video for "I'm A Ruin" is similar to FROOT in that way, it's pretty to look at, but that's mostly about it. She also looked kind of awkward in the water and even though I wanted more of that scene, it definitely took a lot of CGI/After Effects to add on to her.

I'm still excited, though. Hoping for more songs like FROOT and Happy.

the froot visuals had/has nothing to do with the videos and that annoys me, like she could be doing some futuristic era with the colorful fruits and spacey theme. 

i'm not a marina fan (I casually listened to her first album back when it was released 2010?, could not steer further away from her on her last album (which I never listened to)) have been low-key listening to the songs every month and Froot (the song) is actually really good dare I say clever, the rest are just painfully dull and awful. She is so boring and her lyrics are extremely basic and cliche and just general trash, she seems very misguided and unclear of what she wants to achieve

I loathe the overall idea of whenever an artists releases half the album before it's out, it's such perfect way to suck all of the life and enjoyment out of an album cycle lmao. I do not see the sense in it at all, if anything it completely detracts from the idea of an album being an entire body of work, it just becomes a collection of singles subliminally. 

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

I am a huge Marina fan, I loved the EH era and the TFJ era but Froot seems so messy so far ...

Froot set an interesting start for the era, the disco-esuqe, future-esque sound and the photoshoots with these glamorous looks, the mix of nature and artificial, the vibrant colours .. However, what we had so far rarely fit this setting. Happy is more TFJ-like, and a strange way to start the record. The transition to Froot is also meh. Usually, a ballad that goes into an upbeat song is a nice transition, but Happy features these ethereal sounds in the outro, which take away the power from the Froot-intro. I'm A Ruin is quite shoal for a lead single, compared what Marina is capable of. The transition from Froot to IARis boring, it's just like the one song stops and the next one begins. I don't need gapless transitions or anything, but I like it if either way a mood is carried from one song to another, or there is some kind of style-break (Numb to Guilty for example). Also, the music video is super boring, nothing really interesting concerning the visuals and not really much interesting symbolism. Also, it's neither fitting the lyrics nor the sound of IAR. Immortal is quite good, though, it's so ballroom-y and a ballad like I would have imagined it for the record. I think the lyrics are actually quite good and I love the mood and music video for it. It fits the disco-esque era but also keeps the emotional atmosphere.

So, I am still looking foreward to the record and i know we still haven't heard alot, but I am definitly less excited about the whole Froot-era-thing.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

I hate the FROOT era... The melodies are boring (except FROOT and Happy) , the lyrics are awful (except FROOT and Happy), Her vocals are beautiful but not interesting at all and the videos are boring....

"I hate the FROOT era", yet she has her best vocals and instrumentals to date. And ony 4 songs have been released. Chill. :eartha:

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

"I hate the FROOT era", yet she has her best vocals and instrumentals to date. And ony 4 songs have been released. Chill. :eartha:

All the lyrics leaked and they were all extremely badly written... And yes she does have the technically best vocals to date but they're not interesting anymore. In TFJ era she had one of the most special and interesting voices in the music industry, but now her voice just sounds like everything else on the radio...

I AM MY ONLY GOD

All the lyrics leaked and they were all extremely badly written... And yes she does have the technically best vocals to date but they're not interesting anymore. In TFJ era she had one of the most special and interesting voices in the music industry, but now her voice just sounds like everything else on the radio...

Really? Her voice sounds like Pitbull and Taylor Swift and Iggy Azalea and HAIM and Tove Lo and Nicki Minaj and Sam Smith and 5SOS and Kelly Clarkson and ???????????????

Who the fuck even uses the radio as a valid comparison to anything considering how shit 99% of the music it plays is??

as if her voice has changed at all :facepalm:

why can't people just be blunt about not liking something anymore, instead of saying dumb shit like that. is she supposed to get vocal chord surgery so her voice drastically changes to appease you on a new album? I'm sorry but that's the most ridiculous and redundant criticism I've ever heard

no offense

14417469274.gif

Well, she definitly changed the way she sings with every record. On TFJ she varied alot between high, "medium" and low notes, which sounded very good but often ended up with not-so-great-moments during live-performances (at least if you are not a fan). During EH she was not using her voice in the "extreme" ways, and in the Froot era she uses her voice in a very .. clear and high way. And her background vocals sound very ethereal and angelic this time.

But I don#t think this is bad, I think this is what makes an era and she still definitly is the Marina we fell in love with.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

I just want the album to leak so I can move on.

This era's becoming more and more boring as each song goes by.

She lacks the realism, emotion and individuality that made me fall in love with her back in the TFJ era, I'm so disappointed.

b19Ibls.png i'll pray for you kathi- you and that disgusting mouth of yours. god bless 

Really? Her voice sounds like Pitbull and Taylor Swift and Iggy Azalea and HAIM and Tove Lo and Nicki Minaj and Sam Smith and 5SOS and Kelly Clarkson and ???????????????

Who the fuck even uses the radio as a valid comparison to anything considering how shit 99% of the music it plays is??

why can't people just be blunt about not liking something anymore, instead of saying dumb shit like that. is she supposed to get vocal chord surgery so her voice drastically changes to appease you on a new album? I'm sorry but that's the most ridiculous and redundant criticism I've ever heard

no offense

Even on emotionally charged songs like Immortal and Happy, her voice is emotionless (pretty nonetheless).

I miss songs like Obsessions and Numb where she sang with emotion. Don't get me wrong, I'm so glad she's happy now but I just miss her realism.

b19Ibls.png i'll pray for you kathi- you and that disgusting mouth of yours. god bless 

no offense

Yeah I think her voice now sounds like Taylor Swift and Katy Perry... And if you don't think her voice has changed since TFJ you're delusional.

Even on emotionally charged songs like Immortal and Happy, her voice is emotionless (pretty nonetheless).

I miss songs like Obsessions and Numb where she sang with emotion. Don't get me wrong, I'm so glad she's happy now but I just miss her realism.

This

I AM MY ONLY GOD

This is shaping up to be 900 times better than Electra Heart so I don't understand why you guys are being so whiny and harsh.

EH had a story and a concept, so far FROOT just seems to be random songs that don't fit together and just seem out of place and messy.

EH had a story and a concept, so far FROOT just seems to be random songs that don't fit together and just seem out of place and messy.

??????????????????????????? that's because it was a concept album and the whole point was that it was supposed to have a story???? she said Froot wasn't a concept album so that's why there is no concept to it lol...besides, a lot of the songs do subtly link to each other (there's a post on MB about it somewhere) in their lyricism

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

I just want the album to leak so I can move on.

This era's becoming more and more boring as each song goes by.

She lacks the realism, emotion and individuality that made me fall in love with her back in the TFJ era, I'm so disappointed.

but you like Taylor Swift....she's one of the most benign and uninteresting celebrities in mainstream music

BzhmW.png

Her pre-fame music will always be her best imo. The quality of the lyrics COMPLETELY made up for the shit production/low quality. Her clever metaphors and wit were just fantastic, now she's using metaphors like "a flower in a gun, a bird in flight", like what the fuck does that even mean? I used to worship her and I'll always be a fan, but I'm not as much of a stan as I once was.