Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

Her pre-fame music will always be her best imo. The quality of the lyrics COMPLETELY made up for the shit production/low quality. Her clever metaphors and wit were just fantastic, now she's using metaphors like "a flower in a gun, a bird in flight", like what the fuck does that even mean? I used to worship her and I'll always be a fan, but I'm not as much of a stan as I once was.

I usually don't do something like this, because i think it's super shallow but ... you are a Swift fan and talk about deep lyrics and interesting metaphors?

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

but you like Taylor Swift....she's one of the most benign and uninteresting celebrities in mainstream music

Her music is shallow and low quality, but it makes me happy and she's a nice person so I stan.

??????????????????????????? that's because it was a concept album and the whole point was that it was supposed to have a story???? she said Froot wasn't a concept album so that's why there is no concept to it lol...besides, a lot of the songs do subtly link to each other (there's a post on MB about it somewhere) in their lyricism

That's not the point. The point I'm trying to make is that even TFJ had underlying themes, and to a point, the first four songs contradict themselves.

b19Ibls.png i'll pray for you kathi- you and that disgusting mouth of yours. god bless 

I usually don't do something like this, because i think it's super shallow but ... you are a Swift fan and talk about deep lyrics and interesting metaphors?

I'm not expecting deep lyrics from Tay, I'm expecting a happy song that I can jam out to.  :facepalm:

b19Ibls.png i'll pray for you kathi- you and that disgusting mouth of yours. god bless 

She doesn't sing with emotion in Happy?... Have you been to the ear doctor lately?

EH was a concept album that did not live up to its concept musically. A lot of the songs were emotionally empty (or just didn't seem genuine) because of the production & they were very forgettable. FROOT is not a concept album, so you can't compare it to EH in that sense. Only when it comes to the music, which is so far shaping up to be a much more original-sounding album with good lyrics despite the lack of overall "concept" for the album.

And seriously.. you need to listen to Happy again if you think she sings it without emotion.

14417469274.gif

Not to beat a dead horse, because my opinions are similar to many of them posted before me, but here's what I think of the era so far.

1. The VISUALS of this era, froot/neon/space/nature, were a very strong choice on Marina's part, but I think they are loosing a bit of translation in the visuals actually being made. For the most part, I think the photography has been on point with her vision (especially the album cover and Immortal cover), and obviously the icons of the Froots and website/packing designs. The videos is where visually things have gotten a bit messier, but I don't think that is all M's fault, if at all. With the videos, she isn't really the top dog in charge anymore. There's directors who want their vision to come to life, and may disagree with M's (even though they should do what she wants). In the interview that came out today from the German website, M said that she wanted the Froot video to be more futuristic, but the Director insisted that they make her look old hollywood glam. Now with the content of the videos themselves, I think M has always had the problem of videos without much action and plot. Almost all of her videos look really beautiful, but it's just M looking nice and twirling and making grand arm gestures. She really needs to work on this. There doesn't necessarily have to be a plot since this isn't a concept album like EH, but often times just more scenes or actions for M to do would help tremendously. Also stop cutting out portions of the song for God's sake. You wouldn't have to do that if stuff actually happened in your video that took up more time. I also fully realize the M doesn't have tons of money to throw at her videos, and I think the fact that she has had visuals for every song so far is a great achievement.

2. LYRICS- I'm not going to take into much consideration the lyrics of the unreleased songs, in case things had been changed since they were posted. Looking at the songs that have been releases thus far, I think they are pretty strong and lyrically a hybrid of TFJ and EH. The themes are more general like EH, but have the hint of eccentricity and snark that TFJ had. Marina's strong suit has always been he use of description language and metaphors, and in that I think Froot is the most well written song. Happy lacks a bit of something to me, but I love the verses. IAR doesn't have the best chorus. I don't think I would change anything lyrically about Immortal.

3. SONICALLY- I am not over impressed with the production so far, but not displeased either. I think he vocal mixing has been great, and the melodies have been pretty strong (not crazy about Immortal though). Her voice sounds nice, but I don't feel like she is vocally challenging herself. I would like to hear more experimenting with the instruments tbh. That is something great in TFJ, and I think Froot would really benefit from a few weird instruments since she's trying to take us to another world that's a bit kooky at times. It totes has more life than the EH instrumentals though.

Overall, I am really happy with this era. I think she's putting out solid quality work, and I haven't been wholly dissatisfied with anything yet. I also admire her marketing plans. Truthfully, I am most happy that Marina is happy. To know that she really believes in this and is in love with what she's doing is the best feeling for me. Something that makes it difficult to be a Lana stan at times. That is all. For now. :hae:

2dt29zc.jpg

I think people feel the way they do because she stopped using her lower register as much as she did in TFJ, it was very unique and she jumped back and forth a lot

A lot of what she does is higher and there's not as much variety, so maybe you think she's not showing as much emotion? 

people are bemoaning her lyrics right now and acting like she's changed her vocals to appear more commercial when it's pretty clear she's

1. made it obvious she doesn't care

2. says she's most proud of how she's grown

3. had a chance at chart success with HTBAH and failed

You're entitled to dislike something, but don't make it sound like everything was intentional. 

BzhmW.png

I think people feel the way they do because she stopped using her lower register as much as she did in TFJ, it was very unique and she jumped back and forth a lot

A lot of what she does is higher and there's not as much variety, so maybe you think she's not showing as much emotion?

people are bemoaning her lyrics right now and acting like she's changed her vocals to appear more commercial when it's pretty clear she's

1. made it obvious she doesn't care

2. says she's most proud of how she's grown

3. had a chance at chart success with HTBAH and failed

You're entitled to dislike something, but don't make it sound like everything was intentional.

I didn't say that she changed her vocals to appear more commercial! All I'm saying is that she changed her vocals to something that sounds like Katy Perry and Taylor Swift which I personally don't like at all! I prefer her vocals on The Family Jewels because I find them more interesting and special!

And her lyrics on most of the songs on FROOT are really bad! I'm not saying this to hate on her, I'm saying it because I know she's capable of writing much better lyrics than she did on FROOT. I mean look at masterpieces like Obsessions and Hermit The Frog and then look at songs like Immortal and I'm A Ruin.

I AM MY ONLY GOD

~

:gclap:

I agree with you on almost everything, apart from the fact that I think Immortal is flawless, I think it's unfair to say EH is lifeless (or at least less lively than the Froot stuff we have) because i think EH exceeds in creating the feeling of bitterness and the best part about Happy are the first two choruses.

But yeah, you really sum up a lot of correct stuff here, especially the thing about the visuals.

That's not the point. The point I'm trying to make is that even TFJ had underlying themes, and to a point, the first four songs contradict themselves.

FROOT - sexuality, death and relationships

Happy - happiness and relationships

Immortal - death and relationships

I'm A Ruin - relationships

i literally cannot see your point

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

~

:gclap:

I agree with you on almost everything, apart from the fact that I think Immortal is flawless, I think it's unfair to say EH is lifeless (or at least less lively than the Froot stuff we have) because i think EH exceeds in creating the feeling of bitterness and the best part about Happy are the first two choruses.

But yeah, you really sum up a lot of correct stuff here, especially the thing about the visuals.

FROOT - sexuality, death and relationships

Happy - happiness and relationships

Immortal - death and relationships

I'm A Ruin - relationships

i literally cannot see your point

I'm not going to argue my point, music is open to interpretation by anybody and my opinion doesn't really matter.

I think it's unfair to say EH is lifeless (or at least less lively than the Froot stuff we have) because i think EH exceeds in creating the feeling of bitterness and the best part about Happy are the first two choruses.

Sorry, just to clarify: I think some of the instrumentals of EH were lifeless (definitely not the lyrics). It was just a bit too squeaky clean pop for me, although M did want that and it did fit the whole "everything is perfect on the outside but inside i wanna die' vibe. I digress though. :w8ing:

2dt29zc.jpg

She went from being a self taught singer that caused a near permanent vocal injury to someone who knows their singing lane (check videos from the last leg of her last tour, she's been singing like that for at least the recording period of the album). Marina is clearly a talented lyricist who can stand on her own two feet and completely showcase her production, writing and vocals and creation of a concept almost exclusively without any other hands in the project (while maintaining an enjoyable atmosphere). I can't say that about any other pop stars (or even Lana at this point, but I digress. :lmao:

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

I hate the FROOT era... The melodies are boring (except FROOT and Happy) , the lyrics are awful (except FROOT and Happy), Her vocals are beautiful but not interesting at all and the videos are boring....

this is based on 4 songs, two of which you like

VyIsfwC.jpg

I'm not going to argue my point, music is open to interpretation by anybody and my opinion doesn't really matter.

please explain, i want to hear how exactly she is "contradicting" herself, how the album has "no underlying themes" and is worse than the previous two 

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

This is shaping up to be 900 times better than Electra Heart so I don't understand why you guys are being so whiny and harsh.

Because there's the flawless TFJ that came before Electry Hard (Ha ha ha ha *pats self on back*)

I love the girl and her music and how sweet she is but that doesn't mean I can't critique little things. Besides, it's not like I can do anything about it but complain anyway. Let the people have it all out~

tumblr_ni9eu5I7Qh1qzmb8eo5_500.png

Four videos in four months in the era immediately following her almost bankrupting her label? Who gives a FUCK if they match her album campaign or are to a certain visual/plot standard, the fact that we're getting anything in that department is a miracle. Otherwise the themes and visuals have been like really consistent so????

Four videos in four months in the era immediately following her almost bankrupting her label? Who gives a FUCK if they match her album campaign or are to a certain visual/plot standard, the fact that we're getting anything in that department is a miracle. Otherwise the themes and visuals have been like really consistent so????

Her old label is actually nonexistent as of now (defunct and operates as 37 Adventures). And I agree, for her to come back with not only 1, but 4 (released) videos in 4 months is a miracle. Along with 6 pre album singles, an upcoming album, various contests and shit. Marina is marketing way more than before. And I think the videos serve their purpose, visually stunning while remaining in a minimal color spectrum.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

so why did you post it in the first place :derpna:

LMAO I don't understand how people can hate on the FROOT era. I also looooove both TFJ and EH but I think FROOT is amazing. I feel like it is still too early to judge completely on the whole album, since we only have 4 songs as well.... idk I guess I'm just too far up M's ass currently but I think every song so far is respectively great, and I love Happy and Froot the most. What makes me the most happy about this era is that M is happy and shes doing what she wants and enjoying herself. I think all of the videos have been great and I'm really proud of Marina honestly. 

so theres my 2 cents  :P

CRYu-l5UcAEhjM4.jpg

AHHH I cannot with these basics shitting on Marina's FROOT...

The songwriting is fantastic, I don't understand the haters. Happy almost made me cry the first time I heard it, and I don't get that kind of uncontrolled response to music usually. You guys honestly just don't get it and/or don't enjoy it and that's fine. But stop with the BS about how she's changed and her lyrical quality has declined.

She wrote every song on this album ENTIRELY herself... She has never done that before and it's very rare. She also coproduced every song. This is not a heavily planned creation of her and a team of strategists and hit producers and songwriters, this is Marina creating a 100% HER masterpiece and I don't understand how you all can be so ungrateful for that...

Get it through your heads: Marina did not have NEARLY as much artistic freedom with her first two albums as with FROOT. The Marina you fell in love with on Electra Heart is not the true Marina...