Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

She used to be an indie artist with pop goals. Now she's becoming a pop artist with indie goals.

Really hope it was her conscious decision to make this song sound like L+F and her new project will be completely different, as she stated once that her albums do sound and will sound differently.

original.gif

Pretty boring overall. :( I actually don’t mind the verses and bridge, it’s just that damn chorus and the bland mainstream edm-esque beat that really brings the song down. When she sings the chorus it’s like there’s no emotion in her voice at all?

I hate saying this, because Marina’s music has meant SO much to me over the years and has helped me through a lot, and I respect her so much as a person and artist. But if she doesn’t wow me with this next era, I might have to jump off the Marina stan train. TFJ/EH and even Froot are iconic eras that felt so “her” in different ways. It’s depressing to feel like she’s going backwards in artistry and is becoming so generic...

giphy-1.gif 

Pretty boring overall. :( I actually don’t mind the verses and bridge, it’s just that damn chorus and the bland mainstream edm-esque beat that really brings the song down. When she sings the chorus it’s like there’s no emotion in her voice at all?

I hate saying this, because Marina’s music has meant SO much to me over the years and has helped me through a lot, and I respect her so much as a person and artist. But if she doesn’t wow me with this next era, I might have to jump off the Marina stan train. TFJ/EH and even Froot are iconic eras that felt so “her” in different ways. It’s depressing to feel like she’s going backwards in artistry and is becoming so generic...

agreed. it's so painful to see cause her work was literally the soundtrack to my entire teen years and now as an adult it makes me sad to see her regressing as an artist. 

Do you guys think I'm Not Hungry Anymore might be on M5? I mean she spoke about re-recording it and releasing it, it got registered not long ago (but David's credits are removed) and everyone just assume she meant she was just releasing it as a stand-alone but since shes been working on M5 recently as well then it's not far fetched

You know, I first thought this track was cute, but when I came here, I had to confront the truth and that was a) she should’ve never sent a song to this movie soundtrack cuz it would’ve never let her flex her strengths and b) it seems like....she doesn’t want to change from the L+F sound. Such a shame. It really makes me sad, cuz as I see my favorite artists improve and mature in their music like Lana, who was part of and created the tumblr-y era of music, it just seems like she never seemed to reach there.

agreed. it's so painful to see cause her work was literally the soundtrack to my entire teen years and now as an adult it makes me sad to see her regressing as an artist.

sigh agreed. it was already sad for me personally to see her fandom become smaller and smaller as the years went by, but now her music quality as well?? out of all the alt-pop girls, I related to her music the most, so it would be very hard for me to have to accept that she’s probably not gonna change.

still weird to me that she said since she’s at peace now, she’s not cynical anymore. you don’t...have to be cynical to have creativity, curiosity, and imagination.

That’s gonna have to happen if she keeps doing this. I don’t know how I could move on though

I hadn't listened to that song fearing that I'd hate it, and I feared correctly. It sounds like the kind of music that would be played at a mall's kids playground. What the fuck has happened to her....

i agree with what a lot of yall are saying in this thread. its hard to admit it even to myself but yeah.. if this next album doesn't meet my expectations, i will probably end up unstanning. which is sad cuz she's my favorite artist ever.. im not mad at her for getting her life together, im happy for her figuring things out, but it seems she's growing as in artist in a way that most of her fanbase don't relate to anymore.

Friendly reminder that TFJ is gonna turn 10 in a week :creep:

I hope she will at least acknowledge it

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

I want to cry. I don't want to end up unstanning her! She's my favorite and she helped me going through a lot too! Her music resonates to me in a level no one ever reached before. I still remember when I first heard her and I was thrilled with how cathartic she made me feel...  :(

32c003478b7ec35a4b8ae368a22ebabc5be17593

Let's not blame Marina's own artistic decline on Captain Cuts because they produced Lonely Hearts Club (a bop)

...which sounds similar to the rest of Electra Heart. And now they produced a track that sounds similar to the rest of Love + Fear, so yeah.

original.gif