Greeeeen

The Album BTD is emotionless .......

In my opinion, BTD isn't emotionless, that's why she doesn't sing the "same and equal"notes live, like they are in the album, and you know why? She doesn't give a f**k, she sings it in her own way, in her "own mood".....You can see that she is feeling the songs when she sings them live......Just look for Million Dollar Man or Blue Jeans live in YouTube :love:

tumblr_mhzjal5z1N1rab19lo1_1280.png

I think people say that because they feel the need for her to make unnecessary stuff with her voice and reach high notes in every single song like a lot of popular artists do this days (that's not bad), when she's clearly not that kind of singer she just stays in the same mood through the whole song (something she doesn't do live), so people don't find it "entertaining" enough. In my opinion her voice has more soul and feeling than others who just sing about partying or that stuff they don't really feel but may be more fun to some people, when she needs to be soft and simple with her songs she does it, and when she needs to high up her voice she does it too, there's too much examples of this: Big Spender, Off to the races, Cola, Is it wrong, etc... Its just the only songs people know about Lana are Vg, Born to Die, bj and maybe ride, so they make a judgement only thinking of those.

I think people say that because they feel the need for her to make unnecessary stuff with her voice and reach high notes in every single song like a lot of popular artists do this days (that's not bad), when she's clearly not that kind of singer she just stays in the same mood through the whole song (something she doesn't do live), so people don't find it "entertaining" enough. In my opinion her voice has more soul and feeling than others who just sing about partying or that stuff they don't really feel but may be more fun to some people, when she needs to be soft and simple with her songs she does it, and when she needs to high up her voice she does it too, there's too much examples of this: Big Spender, Off to the races, Cola, Is it wrong, etc... Its just the only songs people know about Lana are Vg, Born to Die, bj and maybe ride, so they make a judgement only thinking of those.

Amen.

tumblr_mhzjal5z1N1rab19lo1_1280.png

This topic is pointless.

We all have our different opinions Lana, which unites us as a board.

If you don't even like her singing, then why are you here in the first place?

The emotional quality (or lack thereof) in music is a purely subjective point, yes, but a large part of the premise of this thread/argument is absurd because Lana Del Rey has a relatively big vocal range, and i'm talking about her tessitura, so i'm not even including the extremes of her register where she still hits notes that are outside her vocal comfort. Yeah, she's not Yma Sumac, or even Mariah Carey, but those singers are rare in pop forms of music. She is also known for switching seamlessly between vocal styles, tone quality, and octaves within a song, sometimes even within one phrase. I wish people were familiar with the definition of a word before tossing it around so that is has absolutely no meaning.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

I think she is cold and distant an yes emotionless even almost souless in many songs. Not all but most. I think also that there is a reason for this absence of heart: she posiotened herself as a narrator, a storyteller not particularly a singer. Songs like BTD and even videogames or blue jeans or Ride gain the emotion through the videos. The image brings emotion to the story (the music in this case).songs just mark.. That was one of the reasons I liked Lana and find her interesting in a way. The connection between image and songs are used by every artist all the time but in Lanas case i think they dont play a supporting role they are one of the main caracthers

glgcDdT.gif

I love her, I just think in certain songs (in particular some of the album tracks) her voice lacks any strength or backing. Usually that would make vocals airy like Ellie Goulding's but that's my mother's main complaint about Lana.

She doesn't think she can sing because she doesn't have a strong voice.

I think that's why I like Noir, there's something in the tone and inflection that shows she's angry.

BzhmW.png

It's certainly not emotionless but the vocal style on the album is a lot more subdued than her live performances (best example being Million Dollar Man). I wonder if part of that is the studio setting, for someone who is very shy (like myself and she definitely seems it and has said she is) it could be quite confronting having to belt out high and loud notes with no backing and engineer(s) watching and listening. You're in the spotlight with no distractions from other musicians.

It's certainly not emotionless but the vocal style on the album is a lot more subdued than her live performances (best example being Million Dollar Man). I wonder if part of that is the studio setting, for someone who is very shy (like myself and she definitely seems it and has said she is) it could be quite confronting having to belt out high and loud notes with no backing and engineer(s) watching and listening. You're in the spotlight with no distractions from other musicians.

I think if anything she needs to work her ass off with promo worldwide which will only make her a better vocalist and I long for the day she goes toe-to-toe with her critics in the US and finally shuts them up

BzhmW.png

Of course she could do with more promo but how will that improve her vocal abilities or performances?

She would gain confidence by confronting her anxiety and that would carry through to her vocals. She'd be more self confident and less timid onstage and deliver stronger performances.

I'd love if by chance she was ever invited to SNL again or whatever, she gave a performance that made everyone rethink their ideas about her

BzhmW.png

She would gain confidence by confronting her anxiety and that would carry through to her vocals. She'd be more self confident and less timid onstage and deliver stronger performances.

I'd love if by chance she was ever invited to SNL again or whatever, she gave a performance that made everyone rethink their ideas about her

Hmm. I'd worry that she'd be just as nervous, if not more than before her first appearance after all the backlash...it'd be hard going back to that and knowing everyone is waiting for you to fail.

Hmm. I'd worry that she'd be just as nervous, if not more than before her first appearance after all the backlash...it'd be hard going back to that and knowing everyone is waiting for you to fail.

Hmm, that's a tough matter in fact...

another Saturday Night Performance would be fair,

but if everyone there is so malicious and expects a failure, then it's not a good show

http://www.youtube.com/user/lovelanalikelife ♥Music For Lana&Lana's Fans♥