Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,073 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

2 hours ago, Chemtrail said:

Does anyone else remember one of the insiders saying that Lana changed most of the song titles not long before the album was released?

Three White Butterflies => Grandfather......

American Whore / AW / AW&J => A&W

Genesee => Sweet

Bonita => Taco Truck x VB 

You Wanted Me Sadder => Fishtail

as i remember

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

family, living in the moment and letting the magic just exude of out you. identity vs public perception, understanding the things that you want, and what are truer for you. 

such a comforting yet still so active and dynamically sounding album. it feels like a giant psychic ocean wave, washing you clean and having you fresh for whatever's next. 

FSiy5w3.giftumblr_nv0881L0Od1s4fz4bo1_500.gifVvJr.gif

I've sat on this thought for the last couple days and I finally wanted to share it: choosing Candy Necklace over Zodiac was a right move from Lana. Yes the track is phenomenal (from what we can tell from the edited version :teehee:) but narratively it would've made the record's concept a little overdone. I hope it see's a release one day because of the subject matter but I realized that Fingertips did a similar thing with the concept of remembering and it makes more sense as the people she was memorializing in that song were personal to her (even though one could argue the victims of those tragic murders hit close to home considering they occurred in her vicinity from the time she was living in Long Island). Candy Necklace not only presents another layer of subject matter for the album but also successfully substitutes the ominous and dark atmosphere Zodiac presented. Like we could all agree that Zodiac could've been an interesting addition sonically too but shit happened. Glad with what the record ended up becoming and I hope we could get to hear even more outtakes (I'm looking at you Sunshine ;))

Also sorry if this came off as insensitive in anyway I just wanted to convey a thought 

48 minutes ago, ComebacktoCalifornia said:

A&W Should've been the opening track her best intro that piano and guitar is peak

I feel like it would've been too heavy to start with like The Grants is a perfect introduction to the record's main idea as it segways to Ocean Blvd

On 7/30/2024 at 11:04 AM, meIanchoIia said:

Do we know if Tack Truck was always meant to be mashed up with Venice Bitch? Is there any chance that longer version of TT (without VB) exists?

i would love this sm, i always end up skipping VB because it just makes me want to switch to nfr and listen to venice bitch

On 7/27/2024 at 7:41 PM, Bonita said:

I've sat on this thought for the last couple days and I finally wanted to share it: choosing Candy Necklace over Zodiac was a right move from Lana. Yes the track is phenomenal (from what we can tell from the edited version :teehee:) but narratively it would've made the record's concept a little overdone. I hope it see's a release one day because of the subject matter but I realized that Fingertips did a similar thing with the concept of remembering and it makes more sense as the people she was memorializing in that song were personal to her (even though one could argue the victims of those tragic murders hit close to home considering they occurred in her vicinity from the time she was living in Long Island). Candy Necklace not only presents another layer of subject matter for the album but also successfully substitutes the ominous and dark atmosphere Zodiac presented. Like we could all agree that Zodiac could've been an interesting addition sonically too but shit happened. Glad with what the record ended up becoming and I hope we could get to hear even more outtakes (I'm looking at you Sunshine ;))

Also sorry if this came off as insensitive in anyway I just wanted to convey a thought 

I 100% agree, zodiac would have been top 3 favorites (or at least most replayed) for me off of ocean blvd, but the theming on the album as it is is so tight. it's perfect and smooth like water. i think including zodiac instead of candy necklace would have thrown a wrench into this and would have made it feel more like a collection of songs than a succinct work. though zodiac really deserves a release as a single-- her love and remembrance for victims is something i really resonate with

i think the editing on Fishtail's vocals should've faded from the quiet sound at the very beginning into more clear by the first "you wanted me sadder" 

it would've given dreamcore rather than bad mixing. i still like the fuck out of that song and need the stems to leak so we can edit it and make the good version

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

On 7/28/2024 at 4:32 AM, ComebacktoCalifornia said:

A&W Should've been the opening track her best intro that piano and guitar is peak

No, because it would have made everyone think it's a Radiohead-esque/trap record. You can't start an album filled mostly with ballads with a half-trap banger.

I wonder which songs that were shelved from this record will ultimately go on her next record (if she even reworks it). I'll never get over black beauty leaking and still seeing it in Ultraviolence's tracklist the following year.

A&W would've only worked as an opener (track 2) if she had an interlude opener (track 1). Personally I would've loved the Judah Smith interlude (instrumental), without the sermon if not most of it, reworked to be a bit shorter. It would've been heavenly for me since I feel he's too loud on the track, and talks for too long, which sort of takes you out of the album. 

tumblr_nh6ydfmbFE1tj3p7zo7_r1_250.giftumblr_nh6ydfmbFE1tj3p7zo4_r2_250.giftumblr_nh6ydfmbFE1tj3p7zo5_r1_250.gif

still cant believe how insanely good this record is and how well it has aged. listening to the instrumentals and it’s just so gorgeous :wowcry: 

i remember my first listen walking along the beach where i was living at the time and my god... what a moment. the emotions of it all henny

our girl still has it in her a decade later and the fact she remembered how to do orchestral

sweet HIT

the grants HIT

title track HIT

every other song HIT

:true:

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23 - 10/7/23