Chris Cuomo

Katy Perry

6 minutes ago, DeadSeaOfMercury said:

Still waiting for someone to press Katy Hudson - But nice quality like my AKA

Fr. Actually speaking of ootb really wish katy did a studio version of brick by brick for the 10th Anniversary Edition

Edit: Oh and remix / remaster (it's what's it called for the bonus tracks so :shrug:) for the other 12 tracks.

Hello KitKats and sane users of Lanaboards, I come with yet another exclusive abloom review and inside-her tea for y'all, this time on one of my most anticipated releases of the year. 

CRUSH: I think you've all heard the chorus of this, but the verses are at least listenable. It's a synth driven, thumping dance track. She's serving a high, girly voice - a flirtatious vocal performance which I prefer to her belty shtick or "sexy, c*nt-fident" vibes. Although the lyrics sound like they were written by a teenager, even more than the rest of the alboom. 2/5

Even all the birds are singing
Yeah I, I got those palpitations, those boom-boom-booms
I'm on a new vibration
Yeah I, I need some medication, your ooh-ooh-ooh
I need no explanation
Is it a crush, making me blush?

ARTIFICIAL: This sounds like a Kim Petty song (just like the rest of the album), it has a similar vibe to brr/BAIT. There's a darker hyperpop sensibility that Katy tries to pull off but fails. I guess it's not too far from some of the urban/r&b leaning songs she tried to do before, but her cringe vocal performance and personality prevents any sort of cuntiness from being served. And yes it sounds like Gorgeous too, which we've all unfortunately heard bits of. 1.5/5

Artificial, say what you're thinking
Do you put emotions over reason
Are you gonna love me like a human
Can you touch me in a simulation
Who's gonna save us from losing our minds
Oh you're so dangerous, devil in disguise

TRUTH: This one is extremely, disgustingly boring. This is my least favourite as it serves the most filler on an alboom full of fillers. I truly believe she AI'd this one, because there's no other reason why pop music is being desecrated like this. 1/5

You treat me different
Tell me what's going through your mind
You act so distant
Who you see when you close your eyes
I wanna know the truth, even if it hurt-hurts me

ALL THE LOVE: Yet another cheesy, empowerment style song with a dancier mid-tempo production. I'm honestly out of words to describe them at this point, as nothing new is being offered to my ears on this repetitive, saccharine, almost AI'd journey. I can't decide if Truth or this one made me plead in agony, "Katy Perry please stop." 1.5/5

WONDER: This one sounds like a classic Stargate song, there's a euphoric euro-pop quality to it. This is the least offensive out of everything I've heard and it would have probably smashed in 2013. Acoustic guitars on the chorus, synth driven, thumping beat, it's a nice listen and a cute song for her daughter. But nonetheless extremely dated and nothing new from the queen of cheesy empowerment songs. 2/5

Be heavy on your wings
Stay pure, beautiful girl, woah
Don't let the fear in the world
Burn out what you believe
Cause one day when we're older
Will we still look up and wonder?

Overall, an incredibly generic and dated offering with the most surface level lyrics you could ever dream of. Each song sounds like a copy-paste of one another with minimal variations, sometimes she tries to serve "c*nt" on songs like Artificial and falls flat on her face. Though I think her fans will enjoy and hype mid tracks like Crush and Nirvana (the latter being my 'favourite'), there's zero artistic growth being displayed on here. She is phoning it in and pandering to gays on demos that were probably leftover in Ava Max and Kim Petras folders, in a desperate attempt to revive her and Dr Luke's career. I genuinely think there are much better cuts on Whiteness and Smile, while 143 is exactly the musical junkyard that we were promised with Woman's World.

45 minutes ago, 111 said:

Hello KitKats and sane users of Lanaboards, I come with yet another exclusive abloom review and inside-her tea for y'all, this time on one of my most anticipated releases of the year. 

Spoiler

CRUSH: I think you've all heard the chorus of this, but the verses are at least listenable. It's a synth driven, thumping dance track. She's serving a high, girly voice - a flirtatious vocal performance which I prefer to her belty shtick or "sexy, c*nt-fident" vibes. Although the lyrics sound like they were written by a teenager, even more than the rest of the alboom. 2/5

I'm on a new vacation
I need no explanation

ARTIFICIAL: This sounds like a Kim Petty song (just like the rest of the album), it has a similar vibe to brr/BAIT. There's a darker hyperpop sensibility that Katy tries to pull off but fails. I guess it's not too far from some of the urban/r&b leaning songs she tried to do before, but her cringe vocal performance and personality prevents any sort of cuntiness from being served. And yes it sounds like Gorgeous too, which we've all unfortunately heard bits of. 1.5/5

Artificial, so what you're thinking

TRUTH: This one is extremely, disgustingly boring. This is my least favourite as it serves the most filler on an alboom full of fillers. I truly believe she AI'd this one, because there's no other reason why pop music is being desecrated like this. 1/5

You treat me different
You act so distant

ALL THE LOVE: Yet another cheesy, empowerment style song with a dancier mid-tempo production. I'm honestly out of words to describe them at this point, as nothing new is being offered to my ears on this repetitive, saccharine, almost AI'd journey. I can't decide if Truth or this one made me plead in agony, "Katy Perry please stop." 1.5/5

WONDER: This one sounds like a classic Stargate song, there's a euphoric euro-pop quality to it. This is the least offensive out of everything I've heard and it would have probably smashed in 2013. Acoustic guitars on the chorus, synth driven, thumping beat, it's a nice listen and a cute song for her daughter. But nonetheless extremely dated and nothing new from the queen of cheesy emporwement songs. 2/5

Be heavy on your wings

Overall, an incredibly generic and dated offering with the most surface level lyrics you could ever dream of. Each song sounds like a copy-paste of one another with minimal variations, sometimes she tries to serve "c*nt" on songs like Artificial and falls flat on her face. Though I think her fans will enjoy and hype mid tracks like Crush and Nirvana (the latter being my 'favourite'), there's zero artistic growth being displayed on here. She is phoning it in and pandering to gays on demos that were probably leftover in Ava Max and Kim Petras folders, in a desprate attempt to revive her and Dr Luke's career. I genuinely think there are much better cuts on Whiteness and Smile, while 143 is exactly the musical junkyard that we were promised with Woman's World.

knowing your historical track record of having less than stellar music taste WE WON AOTYYYY OMGGGG 

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23 - 10/7/23

2 hours ago, 111 said:

I'm on a new vacation
I need no explanation

You treat me different
You act so distant

WONDER: This one sounds like a classic Stargate song, there's a euphoric euro-pop quality to it. This is the least offensive out of everything I've heard and it would have probably smashed in 2013. Acoustic guitars on the chorus, synth driven, thumping beat, it's a nice listen and a cute song for her daughter. But nonetheless extremely dated and nothing new from the queen of cheesy emporwement songs. 2/5

Be heavy on your wings

Overall, an incredibly generic and dated offering with the most surface level lyrics you could ever dream of. Each song sounds like a copy-paste of one another with minimal variations, sometimes she tries to serve "c*nt" on songs like Artificial and falls flat on her face. Though I think her fans will enjoy and hype mid tracks like Crush and Nirvana (the latter being my 'favourite'), there's zero artistic growth being displayed on here. She is phoning it in and pandering to gays on demos that were probably leftover in Ava Max and Kim Petras folders, in a desprate attempt to revive her and Dr Luke's career. I genuinely think there are much better cuts on Whiteness and Smile, while 143 is exactly the musical junkyard that we were promised with Woman's World.

There's a little review in this hate rant

2 hours ago, 111 said:

I'm on a new vacation
I need no explanation

You treat me different
You act so distant

Be heavy on your wings

Not gonna lie I loved the brutal honesty here :slayty:

2.gif

Katy in the absolute most FLOP tv show in Brazil is so ironic in some way. this is the most awkward video I watched this month, I can't stop replaying it

Edited by Lasso
ETA: I wish I was eloquent and not high to give more context but I literally can't, bless Katy she was so nice, but she looked like she wanted the helicopter to fly in and just take her, also this TV show is a MESS, it's like Big Brother but with aspiring

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚ if you can't stand the heat, then stay out of the fire, or you might get what you desire boy ˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

omg "katy perry eats cookie and throws herself on the bed" I hope they paid her a couple millions to do this

nah apparently she did it for free

Edited by Lasso
boninho i hate you

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚ if you can't stand the heat, then stay out of the fire, or you might get what you desire boy ˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

Went to the listening party! Still gathering my thoughts :makeup: Meanwhile someone already leaked the whole thing so probably it doesn't even matter what I think but here's my review of the new tracks!!

Spoiler

GORGEOUS ft. Kim Petras

Decent song, decent verses, but Kim 100% outdid Katy... it's really embarrassing IMO that Katy is getting so eaten up by all the young up-and-comers on her own album. Kim's verse is more lyrically and melodically complex, her voice is better, and in general she makes me wish it was her song. IK I have the Kim icon but :rip: Also love how she goes "KP!" right at the start because this has been my dream collab for soooooo long!! KP²! There's an annoying ass squeak on the instrumental during the chorus though and honestly this is pretty filler. If it was on Feed the Beast it'd be a deep deep deep cut.

Crush

Okay maybe my taste is just different from the person above but I really liked this one!! This was a nice surprise to me. I think Katy did a much better job writing a more interesting melody on this one vs the others. And the hook is really cute, like the sample in IHHM. "I need some medication" lowkey giving Your Love Is My Drug vibes plus the "Catchin my breath whenever we touch" is the new "this throat Lady Gaga" controversy bait. (Or maybe I'm a conspiracy theorist-)

All the Love

More filler but the post-chorus compels me I won't lie... Kind of feels like if a song off Smile got a dancepop makeover??

Nirvana

Sorry to all the girlies who were so excited for this one but I just don't see it... literally the beat just feels like yet another thing holding Katy back. I do love her delivery on "found you in paradse" though, sounds so classically Katy :wub:  Literally any other producer would have eaten this up but ESPECIALLY SOPHIE. I'm not even the first to say this but I have to agree because Dr Luke is what held this entire record back.

Artificial ft JID

Oh she thought she popped off with this... IDK why she made this track when E.T. is right there (the lyrics in this one are like, "are you gonna love me like a human" / "can you touch me in the simulation") but it is really hard to listen to and not in a cool experimental way just bad and it jumpscares me every time the crazy weird sounds come in. Also least understandable rap verse since Carti in I LUV IT. Sorry Katy...

Truth

Kind of Prism/Witness scrap energy? Feels like maybe it was intended for one of those to be about Russell Brand. Putting it right after Artificial was a really bad move though because they have really similar themes with the "you're so artificial" vs "you're hiding things from me" (not lyrics just the themes of the songs) vibes. My biggest hot take of the album is that Dorian Electra would have eaten this up but only Katy could do these faux-deep repetitive lyrics. "My father told me the truth will set you free / I read your history / now it makes sense to me" Katy what is this. Sample of a voicemail message at the end and then Katy leaving a message. I couldn't tell whether this was growing on me or if it was Stockholm Syndrome.

Wonder (ft Daisy!)

Okay so Daisy can sing!! She has a couple of lines on this one and they were really cute even though I'm not into child features. Kind of reminded me of the P!nk song that featured her daughter. "One day when we're older / will we still look up in (and?) wonder." "Stay wild beautiful child." "Stay free little Daisy." "Stay joy (??) beautiful boy." People who liked the songs at the end of Prism or Smile will like this, I think. It feels very real and genuine to Katy's feelings and I'm kind of sad it's on an album that's not going to do well because it deserves to be a closer on an album people are willing to take in good faith and that's all out the window now. Poor Katy...

Honestly if I worked in an H&M I'd be pretty thrilled. It's a totally listenable album, just not even close to holding its own against everything else this year. If I want dancepop or house or electronic music, I can go so many other places, especially this year. I'll definitely play the album once or twice, but I already know I'm not going to think of it when I want to dance-- I'll think of Tove Lo or Charli or Chappell or even Camila Cabello. Katy Perry is capable of so much more than "slightly above mid" or "danceable when somebody else plays it in full out of good speakers." Also somebody tried to take a phone call (I was in a record store) and I felt bad for them. Hope you guys like the album though!! :)

afd75b92a106afc7ae42e7c6aff46bd6.gif

Just now, ChaoticLipster said:

I can’t wait for the reviews tbh should be a laugh riot 

When 143 wins album of the year then what?

Just now, LunaeManifestum said:

stans recorded the listening party and leaked the session

Oop