Thought I’d do a short review and brief opinion about each song.
1. Textbook - 7.0 (it’s a bit all over the place in terms of structure and lyrics)
2. Blue Banisters. - 7.5 (A solid title track but drags in parts)
3. Arcadia 7.5 (beautiful song, but another piano ballad we didn’t really need)
4. Interlude - The Trio 7.5 ( just so random but I love it makes you shake your ass)
5. Black Bathing Suit 9 (An epic song, definitely should have more like this on the record)
6. If You Lie Down With Me - 7.0 (Catchy but a little repetitive, love the outro trumpets)
7. Beautiful - 8.0 (I just love the lyric’s in this one simple but meaningful)
8. Violets for Roses 8.5 (this feels like a classic Lana song, like BBS we needed more of this)
9. Dealer - 8 ( For me Lana killed it here with Miles they work so well together)
10. Thunder -9 ( This reminds of Ultraviolence a little and I adore it)
11. Wildflower Wildfire -9.5 (HOT FIRE HOT WEATHER HOT COFFEE-…what else can I say)
12. Nectar of the Gods -7 (repetitive & generic on the chorus but it can get stuck in your head)
13. Living Legend -6 (Never really likes this song it drags, but it’s ok)
14. Cherry Blossom - 5.5 (horrible boring production compared to YT versions)
15. Sweet Carolina - 6.5 (cringe inducing lyrics about iPhones and crypto but emotional)
Overall it’s an 8 out of 10, It’s definitely an album I’m enjoying, but it was never the direction I wanted her to go in and I’m a bit fed up of piano ballads as I’ve said 1000 times already. I don’t know how anyone could call this album a ‘masterpiece’ as it has glaring flaws but I respect this opinion. Living legend and Cherry blossom should never have been added to the record they don’t really add anything.
I’d have preferred she did something with more energy ‘Rock Candy Sweet’ grabbed my attention. A psychedelic alt rock album with lots of songs like Dealer and Thunder is really what I’d love..an Ultraviolence inspired album. But Blue Banisters still fits well in her discography and it’s better than COCC in my opinion. I just hope on the next record she makes a change in direction and I’m sure it will pay off.