Elle

Jimmy Buffett dies at 76 - September 1st, 2023

Legendary musician and businessman Jimmy Buffett dies at age 76 on September 1st, 2023.

Best known for his hit song Margaritaville which was inspired by “island escapism”, Jimmy Buffett created an empire of chain restaurants, hotels, resorts, shops, and tequila named after the hit tune. Earlier this year, he faced illness which caused him to be hospitalised and reschedule live performances. A cause of death has not yet been released, but he was said to have passed peacefully while surrounded by loved ones. He will be greatly missed by his friends, family, and loving fanbase known as the Parrotheads, but his legacy will live on and on and on. 

When I'm gone, make them play my favourite song
It's Jimmy Buffett, to remember
Life's a beach, baby, enjoy it
When I'm done, let the music play on…
& on & on & on

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

I never heard about him and i didn't know much about him since i'm not too familiar with American culture but i remember Lana referenced his name in "If i die Young" so he must be a legend.

RIP sir, I wish i knew about his music before...

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

He had such a huge influence over my generation—I grew up in South Florida, so my family went to Key West yearly, and Buffet was a frequent sight around Miami in those years. Though I was quite young, my older sister and I saw him perform at the the Maurice Gusman Cultural Center, a concert which was recorded for his 'You Had To Be There' album. 

To me, 'Changes in Attitudes' is still a perfect album, especially the slower/sadder songs, like 'Banana Republics' and 'Biloxi.' I still listen to that album, and so many of his other, like 'There's A Woman Going Crazy on Caroline Street,' 'Life Is Just a Tire Swing,' 'Come Monday,' 'Island,' 'Livingston Saturday Night,' 'Havana Daydreaming,' 'Mañana,' and many others.

Musically, he sort of became a parody of himself as time went on, but the 70s Jimmy Buffet never faded for me, and I thought of him a great deal when I was in Key West for two weeks two summers in a row. 

I was thrilled when Lana mentioned him in 'If I Die Young.'  

Thanks, Elle.