Elle

Lana to be featured on upcoming Bleachers album on song ‘Alma Mater’ - song out November 15th, 2023

5 hours ago, Embach said:

I listened to the song for the first time yesterday and.....it was probably the cringiest song I've ever heard. Like what the fuck was that:

She's my alma mater

Chasin' lines all night

Smokin' me outta sight

Well, summer's gettin' hotter

Threw her T-shirt down the pike

Screamin', "Fuck Balenciaga"

Right past the Wawa

Threw on "Heartattack and Vine"

As she alligator cries

I'll make it darker

2003, sad all the time

:oprah2:

This isn't even camp, it's like something what a pretentious nerdy Instagram kid in high school, who thinks they were born in a wrong generation, would write. Sorry this was too specific, I know that Jack isn't like this but I know that he's capable of doing better music. The production reminded me of Midnights album a lot. Like the song isn't bad, it's just so weird, the whole time I listened to the song my face was like this :wtfney: Lana's part was good though, the "I'll make it darker" part. I wouldn't mind listening to this part for 10 hours, it was like so smooth.

I can't lie, the writing reminds me of what an AI-written stereotype of what a bad Lana song would be like. 

The "summer's getting hotter," is a Lana mainstay, "screaming fuck baleciaga" (screaming black lives matter?), heartattack and vine is an album but it also reminds me of "hollywood and vine," I'll make it darker is probably a Leonard Cohen reference  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0nmHymgM7Y), but the way the last line is framed in the song sounds almost mocking.

I don't know, it's a really weird one, I can't vibe with it at all and like you said it does come across as pretentious (and strangely unauthentic). I wonder what Lana wrote on it. 

Edit: I'm very rarely critical and overly negative like this, but I just don't like the song. The most annoying thing is I feel like it had so much missed potential lyrically. It's almost there, but it's just not hitting the way it should. 

Edited by The Sun Also Rises

The cicadas in the sunset are your guide

Just now, The Sun Also Rises said:

I can't lie, the writing reminds me of what an AI-written stereotype of what a bad Lana song would be like. 

The "summer's getting hotter", "screaming fuck baleciaga (screaming black lives matter?), heartattack and vine is an album but it also reminds me of "hollywood and vine," I'll make it darker is probably a Leonard Cohen reference  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0nmHymgM7Y), but it feels almost mocking of the sad Lana lyrics. 

I don't know, it's a really weird one, I can't vibe with it at all and like you said it does come across as pretentious (and strangely unauthentic). I wonder what Lana wrote on it. 

I have a  theory that this was a random little demo lana had jotted down that she wouldn't have released but jack liked it, and then to finish the song he was attempting to write like lana which is why it feels a little disingenuous from them both. I don't actually hate it but dissecting it lyrically alone sure doesn't make it look great :um4:

giphy.gif

20 minutes ago, americangothic said:

"Something a pretentious nerdy Instagram kid in high school, who thinks they were born in a wrong generation, would write" is the best way to describe the lyrics of this song, lol. What in the actual world. But I really dig the vibe, tho. The video is super cool. I like this song way better than "Secret Life" imo, even if Lana's barely in it.

Oh it's definitely better than those two Bleacher collabs from 2021

url%5D

Preview of “alma mater from the day it was written” which is exclusively on the Bleachers alternate cover vinyl -

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

44 minutes ago, Elle said:

Preview of “alma mater from the day it was written” which is exclusively on the Bleachers alternate cover vinyl -

I just ordered it !

Maybe it's unpopular but I love this song, and the two other singles Tiny Moves and Modern girls.

18 hours ago, Unidentified Major Tom said:

I just ordered it !

Maybe it's unpopular but I love this song, and the two other singles Tiny Moves and Modern girls.

Where did you find it? 

So this is another version of the album, and the only difference is that it features Lana on the cover Pic? 

Update: ok, finally understood it. These alternate vinyl covers (without Lana on it) in their shop include another track called "alma mater the day it was written". 

https://store.dirtyhit.co.uk/bleachers

It was expensive watch it 

Do we know if there are more Lana features on the album maybe? I actually like "modern girl" and another track, thinking about getting a copy. The standard cover looks really cool, would prefer to get this cover. However, these vinyl colors of the alternate versions look really amazing 

Btw, does anyone else thinks that Jack looks a bit like Anthony Perkins/Norman Bates in Hitchcock's Psycho on this pic? 😂❤️

2 hours ago, Olympia said:

Btw, does anyone else thinks that Jack looks a bit like Anthony Perkins/Norman Bates in Hitchcock's Psycho on this pic? 😂❤️

🤣🤣🤣

I don't know, it's a bit extreme !

But I always thought he looked like Rick Moranis in Ghostbusters.

li-rick-moranis.jpg

The snippet gaves me "Jon Batiste Interlude" vibes, and I wanted it.
It is available on the alternative vinyls, so I ordered it with the dirty hit store.

There are 4 alternative covers, including one or two with Margaret and without him, in case you fear for your safety when you take a shower.

giphy.gif?fit=500,271&ssl=1

12 minutes ago, Unidentified Major Tom said:

🤣🤣🤣

I don't know, it's a bit extreme !

There are 4 alternative covers, including one or two with Margaret and without him, in case you fear for your safety when you take a shower.

😂🚿👍

Collage-20240210-204334.jpg

Unfortunately I'm unable to find a photo of that scene, but I'm 100% sure there's a moment when Norman is waving just like Jack on that pic. 😂

Collage-20240210-205241.jpg

I might order a vinyl but I'm gonna wait until release date to see if they have better bundles available then. I don't like the signed CD is US exclusive only, so if you live outside US, you need to add a cassette to get it 🙄 besides there are 3 bonus tracks on the standard vinyl and 3 other tracks on the three alternate vinyls. I only really want that signed art card because I just adore this Norman Bates cover 🤭😂❤️ hope it won't be sold out in release week. 

21 minutes ago, Unidentified Major Tom said:

Omg you're right !

Lana, please don't talk about hotel rooms in Rosemead or Arcadia or wherever with him anymore and run away !

"serial killer" getting a totally new meaning here. I think they should record a duet version in a Jack production of it 🤣

21 hours ago, lanaismamom said:

wasn’t there supposed to be another version of this song coming today

Yes, I got the exclusive Vinyl from the webstore yesterday and I listened to "Alma Mater from the day it was written".

It's different, it sounds like an early mix where in which Lana and Jack are giggling together and trying to put lyrics on the music. Actually, Lana sings a lot more than in the final version. I like it.

13 minutes ago, Unidentified Major Tom said:

Yes, I got the exclusive Vinyl from the webstore yesterday and I listened to "Alma Mater from the day it was written".

It's different, it sounds like an early mix where in which Lana and Jack are giggling together and trying to put lyrics on the music. Actually, Lana sings a lot more than in the final version. I like it.

Thanks a lot, was coming here to ask about it (if she sings more) 😁

I could imagine these postcards coming with the new yellow CD Pack 2 include pictures of Lana

https://store.dirtyhit.co.uk/format/1465862-bleachers-postcard-pack-2-with-cd

Available to pre-order on a collectors CD + Postcard set format featuring a compilation of 15 photos taken from the Alma shoot.

I'm glad I didn't order one of the vinyls before release day. Just saw the pics of them on discogs, none looks as lovely as on the mockup 🙄 I adored that peachy red marble, but it's just dark pink - white marbled... 

Wanted the variant in the middle 

Collage-20240309-164631.jpg