Strangelove

Lana Abandoning "Dreamy Ballads"

Honestly I think it’s just a natural progression of  her growing as an artist and moving into other directions sound wise.

Though I feel the folk/guitar based songs are a return to form for her anyhow since that’s how a lot of her earlier stuff was written.

The stuff that leaked in that ambient/dreamy vein is probably only a fraction of the tracks she might’ve recorded with that sound. And we know these sessions lasted at least a year so I’d imagine anyone would kinda get tired of sticking with a certain sound for that long. 

I think if she gave it up, it's because there are a lot of artists making this kind of music today. As has already been mentioned, Lana has evolved and her focus is now more on expressing herself in lyrics than on atmospheric music.

10 hours ago, DinahLee said:

Hell it posted before I even started writing nn.

Lana's too caught up with the "Folk/Americana/Songwriter" vibe, that's why. She wants her quick piano chords and acoustic guitar to do the heavy lifting instead of cooking up with the synths, pads, heavier guitars to wash the sound. I do miss it. I've always wanted a full on synth-y dreamy record in the vein of the original Lust For Life demo and these great cinematic soundscape, but she keeps doubling down on taking percussion out and stripping the songs away.

This reads too true. I still can't like comments.

21 hours ago, twinkletoes7 said:

I can't find the original but here's some sort of edit of it 

Reveal hidden contents

also in my search for that I have seen so many fishtail haters. fishtail is my fav song off ocean blvd and one of my fave songs ever. wtf :lange:

I also like Fishtail, it's definitely in my Top 3 from OB. The point I've made about it is that it sounds like the fraternal twin of TJF, and lately too many of Lana's songs sound like fraternal twins. In my experience, this is usually a sign of an artist in a period of decline. 

23 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

I also like Fishtail, it's definitely in my Top 3 from OB. The point I've made about it is that it sounds like the fraternal twin of TJF, and lately too many of Lana's songs sound like fraternal twins. In my experience, this is usually a sign of an artist in a period of decline. 

I didn't realise just how similar they sounded until you said that. That would explain my obsession with the two of them :hide:

not too sure about the demo 

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, twinkletoes7 said:

I didn't realise just how similar they sounded until you said that. That would explain my obsession with the two of them :hide:

not too sure about the demo 

Thanks. 

I feel like she made the production simpler to make the lyrics even more the focal point of the songs (in some of them more than others). Like for example Kintsugi and Fingertips wouldn't hit as hard if they got a big orchestra or a complex instrumentation (and the orchestra in Fingertips is only really noticeable in specific points and lines of the song).

It also makes sense considering the most diverse production appears in the less serious songs like Peppers/TTxVB or for example Judah Smith interlude having the most intricate piano in comparison to other tracks. 

Other personal and deep songs on the album have prominent and beautiful strings (title track, The Grants) but they still have some simpler moments with room to breathe in comparison to BTD (album) for example, where there was something going on in the background at all times.

I prefer that kind of production tho, where even the instrumental on its own was a complete musical piece but I get why she had this switch considering her different approach to music and songwriting now :um2:

giphy.gif