Tammy

Lizzy Grant Re-Release

To add to the original discussion: It really isn't uncommon for albums to be rereleased with a different cover than what was originally used. Happens all the time. I can go count how many records i have in my collection where this has happened--same album with alternate covers. So to use the argument that AKA wouldn't or can't be rereleased because she no longer goes by Lana Del Ray or Lizzy Grant, or further, that the album cover is ugly, is not convincing. I also don't see how the fact that it was released three years ago has any bearing on this. 

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

Yes. Honestly, I don't quite understand why people name the album other than Lana Del Ray.

probably this has been previously discussed, but why is AKA is sometimes called 'Nevada'? I remember a magazine interview in which she was asked how she felt about her first album, Nevada, being available online...

probably this has been previously discussed, but why is AKA is sometimes called 'Nevada'? I remember a magazine interview in which she was asked how she felt about her first album, Nevada, being available online...

I think it started because it was leaked as "Nevada Master Ref 1" or something like that, I'm not really sure.

If she re-released it now, she'd be competing with herself (TPE). I'm hoping she re-releases it some year that she's not releasing another project.

This is interesting. I've read two opposing theories on this. Some do look at it as an artist competing with themselves when they have two products out at once, meaning that one is taking sales/promotion away from the other. Others say that the two products only help each other out and promote each other. My thinking is that with the way the internet and blogs are, there's probably no way that one source would mention one of the records without mentioning the other, so it's free promo right there.

I guess another factor would be how close to each other the release date is. I remember in 2002 Tom Waits releasing two new albums (Blood Money and Alice) on the same day. I've seen other artists release two albums two weeks to about two months from each other. There was a big fuss about Radiohead releasing Kid A and Amnesiac only 8 months apart from each other. I imagine that how far apart the release dates are would affect things differently, if it even affects things at all.

But there's also the fact that sometimes an artist can have two albums out at once, yet each has their distinct market/audience, even though it's the same artist. That may be the case with Lana Del Rey and the AKA album. Either way, i think it's moot because if the album were to be rereleased, i can't imagine it would happen in the next few months, by which time it would no longer be competing against TPE in any significant way. 

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

If she does re-release the album, I'd die. I've always wanted a physical copy of those songs. Listening to it on my computer isn't good enough for me. 

I'd like if they just call the album 'Nevada.' And honestly, I would love if they didn't change the cover. it would be perfection!! :oprah:

VyIsfwC.jpg

I'm pretty sure this store was the one selling it, but I can't find it anymore

http://www.virginmega.fr/musique.htm?RefererId=156

My source http://www.chartsinfrance.net/Lana-Del-Ray/Lana-Del-Ray-a107671138.html

You're right, this was the store that was selling it. Funny how it was available last year and now it's gone. It seems that it was removed from everywhere now... Virgin is a reliable store, so I think getting it in lossless could really have been a possibility.

This link backgrounds the strange case of this CD from perspective of 5 points: 

It doesn't say why AKA disappeared, really. 

Member Myriam and Member IamThatGirlLily translated a recent French interview, which says something about why she doesn't re-release. I think I've quoted Myriam's but the link is to Lily's and Myriam's a little before it:

"Interviewer:  Among these new songs, you chose to revive Yayo, one of the songs of your 2010 album under the name of Lizzy Grant. Will this album ever be re-released?

LDR: Like I did for Yayo, I would like to redo certain songs like Kill Kill and Mermaid Motel. They mean a lot to me, they are the most autobiographical out of all the songs, my sprees to Coney Island …

But I don’t like their production, I can’t re-release them as they are. I recorded them 6 years ago, an eternity… Yayo was a fundamental moment in my life, a trigger, my first video."

Wanting to redo EVERY song on AKA might mean she wants to disconnect AKA's material from 5 points, but apparently it's just certain songs. I'd really hate to think that she'd leave any AKA songs behind. Also, I don't think Yayo was that much changed, supporting a disconnect idea. 

I'd hope she'd just redo what she wants and place it on new releases (like she's doing?). But I'd also hope she'd just let AKA resume at Itunes and Amazon right now. CDs would be nice, but if she's unhappy about it, maybe digital would be less painful. The original artwork and titles, something like "Lana Del Ray aka Lizzy Grant" copyright 2010 by Lana Del Rey, works fine for me, because it says it's not a new release, and historical accuracy is never bad, imo. If ever "May Jailer:  Sirens" (2005?) were similarly released, people would realize that name changing is her authentic strategy (actually, it's the use of her real name that is inauthentic, LOL). 

To me a re-release of AKA is important. I want to get a legal copy, and a commercial buy says "hey, I like songs like this", and with enough of them the album can have an influence. For that reason, it matters more (to me, of course) that AKA have the chance to sell than whether it will sell a lot (rather douchey on my part, because it's not my career). One would also think re-releasing AKA (and releasing May Jailer) would make it easier for her to produce her leaks/unreleased catalog. She'd be less typecast to a style with her older stuff available commercially.  And if she wants to produce newer stuff in parallel, who could complain about that! 

i'd love a re-release, it'd be interesting, and if it's crap, we've always got the original album. btw, why is everyone saying that 'younger fans won't appreciate it'? i'm one of the younger fans on this forum and i had lots of AKA songs before born to die was even released. there's lots of 'casual fans' but it doesn't mean they're young. 

4r9w86.jpg

i'd love a re-release, it'd be interesting, and if it's crap, we've always got the original album. btw, why is everyone saying that 'younger fans won't appreciate it'? i'm one of the younger fans on this forum and i had lots of AKA songs before born to die was even released. there's lots of 'casual fans' but it doesn't mean they're young. 

I think by "younger fans" they mean "new fans," it's not an age matter. Honestly I think there are many casual fans that don't even know that she has had a released album under another name before, so I guess that I'm fine with the album never being re-released because it makes it special (I don't know if it makes sense).

I think it's best if that album stays as it is.

I'm sure I would love to hear the new versions, but I kinda doubt I would like them more than the originals. 

I'm not too keen on song remakes unless they are done years after the original release.

Bird Condo King said: <I can't see a quote button, that post>

"Honestly I think there are many casual fans that don't even know that she has had a released album under another name before, so I guess that I'm fine with the album never being re-released because it makes it special (I don't know if it makes sense)."

Tori Amos and Alanis Morissette both have initial releases that they let go out of print. It didn't make them special; it just made them harder to hear. AKA should not be treated like that, imo. I just worry that not releasing AKA (as it was made) makes the wrong kind of statements, namely: the album was a failure, or that people that don't know it, won't like it, or that pop music should not be given the chance to go more that way. 

Tori Amos and Alanis Morissette both have initial releases that they let go out of print. It didn't make them special; it just made them harder to hear. AKA should not be treated like that, imo. I just worry that not releasing AKA (as it was made) makes the wrong kind of statements, namely: the album was a failure, or that people that don't know it, won't like it, or that pop music should not be given the chance to go more that way. 

Lana has said that she is proud of the album and that she bought all the rights to it after she made it big, and that she was planning on releasing it (as you probably know), but I don't really see why it didn't happen. Probably the label didn't want her to re-release an album that's nearly 3-years-old, I don't see the point in doing it.

Lana knows that all of her big fans have the album anyways, and I think that it not being right there in front of the general public is what makes it special (and not really hard to hear, since you can find any song from it by simply searching on Google or YouTube).

I don't think she will re-release it anytime soon. Maybe when she retires -if she ever does. Maybe for an anniversary, maybe as box set with her whole discography  :flutter:

:derpna2:

If she does re-record LDRakaLG then she should also re-record & release Sirens as a double album. So they could both be released somewhat like Beyonce's 'I Am...Sasha Fierce' album was released.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

maybe 10 years after the release, when she doesn't have any new ideas for music.

or maybe she could like record a track or two from AKA on ever new album. of course she'll only do select songs that she likes.

also, anybody else think Kinda Outta Luck is getting released? since yayo was a video on her youtube (not sure if its still there or not), became a new song, do you also think thats gonna happen with/to Kinda Outta Luck???????????

tumblr_mfdm68imF11rr0s0uo1_500.png

"LG: Strangest performance: Alone in a basement for a handsome record executive. 

Strangest ever written: Back at his office while I was making out with him."

she's so hilarious ahhaa

tumblr_mmkkluK6l81sp6362o1_500.png" />