DeadSeaOfMercury

Sister Albums

Any albums you love released on the same day?

Just some I can think of,

Grimes’ Miss Anthropocene & Allie X’s Cape God

“Which I happened to receive both records early!”

Lana’s DYK & Depeche Mode’s Memento Mori

“2 of my absolute favorite artists fighting for #1 in the uk”

And Today

Justice’s Hyperdrama & St. Vincent’s All Born Screaming

Discuss…

:ma:

IMG-3521.jpg

couldn't think of one at the top of my head

after searching really hard on genius's lengthy album release calendars

i learned that taylor swift's evermore is released on the same day as halsey's "Manic: …Or Are You Normal" i don't listen to the latter a lot but I know all of those songs and they are on my playlist soo i'll count it

also taylor swift's lover album is released just a week before nfr i think and I love both!

here are some links for twin albums sharing bdays (they weren't useful to me because I didn't recognize much- 😭

https://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/classic-albums-came-out-on-the-same-day

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/albums-released-on-same-day/

4 minutes ago, ttulsa said:

couldn't think of one at the top of my head

after searching really hard on genius's lengthy album release calendars

i learned that taylor swift's evermore is released on the same day as halsey's "Manic: …Or Are You Normal" i don't listen to the latter a lot but I know all of those songs and they are on my playlist soo i'll count it

also taylor swift's lover album is released just a week before nfr i think and I love both!

here are some links for twin albums sharing bdays (they weren't useful to me because I didn't recognize much- 😭

https://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/classic-albums-came-out-on-the-same-day

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/albums-released-on-same-day/

I haven’t looked at them all yet, BUT I SOMEHOW FORGOT The Downward Spiral & Superunknown!!!

:bebe:

I’ve Failed…

IMG-3521.jpg

2 minutes ago, DeadSeaOfMercury said:

I haven’t looked at them all yet, BUT I SOMEHOW FORGOT The Downward Spiral & Superunkown!!!

:bebe:

I’ve Failed…

gosh ngl a lot of the albums i saw online were older than me 🗿

i feel as if

I missed out on good music.

54 minutes ago, ttulsa said:

gosh ngl a lot of the albums i saw online were older than me 🗿

i feel as if

I missed out on good music.

You didn’t miss out, You just don’t have to wait for all of it to be released!

:ma:

And I was like -3 for TDS…

IMG-3521.jpg

Emma Louise - Supercry (2016)/Lorde - Melodrama (2017)

I really can't explain that how but I realised in 2021 that they're very similar in terms of the themes and vibes that in my eyes, they could be considered as sister albums.

I kind of want to expand that and explain as much as I can because I'm pretty sure that most of you are unfamiliar with Supercry. Both albums explore loneliness and heartache after a difficult break-up, also anger, anxiety, people and nostalgia, self-problems in general. The themes are also very vulnerable in emotion, they also describe feelings with colors while Melodrama might be chaotic and fast, Supercry is more slower and melancholic. Lyrically, the topics are quite the same, Melodrama might be more graphic and wordy while Supercry uses a lot of allegories and a lot of the lyrics are repeated. In some way, they're also similar in a way that they explore young woman's life in Oceania and also life in the United States since Emma Louise is from Australia and Lorde from New Zealand.

Both albums have very colorful paintings as cover arts (Supercry is also paintes by Louise herself).

But in terms of sound they are very different from each other since Melodrama has a very maximalist production with synths and electro-pop beats while Supercry is more rawer and leans towards rock while it still follows styles of synth-pop and folk. Still, in sound you can "sense similar patterns" in their emotions of their most upbeat or balladic tracks on those albums.

For me, Melodrama is a better album (and also describes me more) but Supercry is definitely the one I've known more and longer and is closer to my heart because it was one of my first favorite albums. They're not exactly the same but as I explained, because of the similar themes and topics, they could be considered as sister albums.

url%5D

I tried to find albums i like released on the same day but i can’t find any :deadbanana:

One little thing i DID find tho was this little spooky fun fact: The album cover for The Beatles Abbey Road was taken August 8th 1969. The Manson Family murders started on August 8th 1969. An incredible coincidence, considering Charles Manson was heavily inspired by the Beatles/thought they were subliminally communicating with him. So i guess Abbey Road and the Charles Manson solo album can be sister albums in spirit 😭

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95237ep20gi51lvjl437x