Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

Oh Lord, this is the first time I've ever read through this thread.

I'm alive, but barely breathing.

So uh . . . here are my opinions that may or may not be unpopular.

-I really dislike her hair bleach blonde and short (like the AKA cover).

-I wish Paradise Edition would end with a super epic song like how BTD's first one was . . . well BTD. Burning Desire just doesn't seem like a good concluding song for the BTD era. Maybe Gods and Monsters could have been last? It's dark, epic, and shows a bit more of a "I'm going to do what I want with my life, and you can't control me, heffa" side of Lana that we don't see much.

-As mentioned above, I want to see more of a badass side of Lana opposed to victim Lana. I want to have a music video with her like murdering Bradley or something lol

-Sometimes I worry for Lana because she seems so nice and naive, and I'm afraid she might legitimately get hurt one day.

2dt29zc.jpg

Oh Lord, this is the first time I've ever read through this thread.

I'm alive, but barely breathing.

So uh . . . here are my opinions that may or may not be unpopular.

-I really dislike her hair bleach blonde and short (like the AKA cover).

-I wish Paradise Edition would end with a super epic song like how BTD's first one was . . . well BTD. Burning Desire just doesn't seem like a good concluding song for the BTD era. Maybe Gods and Monsters could have been last? It's dark, epic, and shows a bit more of a "I'm going to do what I want with my life, and you can't control me, heffa" side of Lana that we don't see much.

-As mentioned above, I want to see more of a badass side of Lana opposed to victim Lana. I want to have a music video with her like murdering Bradley or something lol

-Sometimes I worry for Lana because she seems so nice and naive, and I'm afraid she might legitimately get hurt one day.

I like her bleach blonde hair, too. Burning Desire isn't the last song off The Paradise Edition, it's an iTunes bonus track. Bel Air ist the last song. I'm not scared for Lana. She's been that way for a very long time. Also, I think some of it is just an act to seem like a little girl.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

I like her bleach blonde hair, too. Burning Desire isn't the last song off The Paradise Edition, it's an iTunes bonus track. Bel Air ist the last song. I'm not scared for Lana. She's been that way for a very long time. Also, I think some of it is just an act to seem like a little girl.

Oh, Bel Air is the official last track. . . . . okay I can deal with this. :diva:

2dt29zc.jpg

This is me getting you started. TELL ME ABOUT WHY THEY ARE OVERRATED. I want to know how your mind works. It will be really interesting to read. Please. :3

I'd like to, but i can't, really. It'd be too long, and i don't have the time. It's something i've been mulling over for many years and i have material collected in my mind for an essay of sorts! I don't think this forum is the avenue for that nor is it the time right now.

Except I rank Nirvana at #1. The Beatles are even more worshipped... but they're also a better band imo.

I definitely agree that The Beatles are a better band, but the level of acclaim that they receive in proportion to their merits is much more skewed than anyone in music history. The Beatles can be a GREAT band if one so wishes to call them that, but that doesn't have to exclude how overrated they are. Given where they have been and continue to be placed in music history (and beyond, because their stature extends into many aspects of culture, not just music) there's nothing left for them to be other than overrated--no one can be that good. How can they not be overrated when you consider how cult-like the view of them is? One of the more frustrating things about Beatles idolatry is how it diminishes the efforts of everyone else--people who made significant contributions to popular music and innovated just as much if not more, people who either pushed popular music forward, or just plain wrote better songs. The Beatles, as they've existed since their demise, are a global enterprise, it’s marketing, very effective marketing. It’s scary. I think people just repeat the baby boomer rhetoric--that started developing when rock criticism was starting to be a more serious thing, when it became an industry--because it's so culturally ingrained and, year after year, only solidifies itself more and more. Repetition is a very strong force. Capitalism continues to do wonders for The Beatles, so it works out. There is longevity there. What do i really think of The Beatles? I think they're all right, they have good songs, but they mostly bore me. I think they had, and continue to have, mass appeal because their music is easy and very digestible while having the advantage of being seen as Art. It challenges the general public enough to engage them, but it's still safe. There's also so much nostalgia built into this machine. Consider also timing, luck, looks, style, attitude, personality, etc., wrap it up in a nice package and have it spit out to the public via ceaseless aggrandizement from every corner of the media, and you get the worldwide cult of The Beatles. It's a weird, successful formula that allows them to stay right where they have been for the past four decades. It's a weird thing to listen to their music--it's not really like listening to music, but more like listening to a cultural phenomenon or a sermon. Who the hell wants that?

Otherwise - I get Nirvana, but how on earth are Elvis and Nabokov's literature hipster now?

On to something else: Hipster culture. It's not one defined thing, but rather multifaceted (Nabakov is undoubtedly revered by certain sects of contemporary hipsterdom). When you consider just how much its meaning has changed since 1950s beatnik culture, you realize that, ultimately, the term is pretty useless. It's too open-ended to have any real value. It means different (generally derogatory) things to different people and different generations. It's a catch-all term for easily censuring a group of people whose tastes, interests, and "identity" rub us the wrong way, usually because of their insincerity. That, to me, is what hipster culture is--a culture of insincerity, a culture of cool. I've noticed it comes up around here a lot and how, from person to person, it means totally different things. I myself would never consider Nirvana to be part of hipster culture as we know it today. What's odd about hipster culture is that ANYTHING can be hip, nothing is off limits, anything can appropriated and made "cool" or so uncool that it's cool, or ironic. Let's look at the person for whom we are all here right now. Depending on who you ask, LDR is almost emblematic of hipster culture (probably because, what, she likes "old" things?). But i get the feeling that "real" hipsters scoff at the idea of Lana Del Rey. Yet others probably embrace her only ironically. How do we establish a common meaning? Does it even matter? How about forgetting all that shit and not wasting thoughts and energy on it?

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

Woo. Glad to see I'm not alone in my hatred for The Beetles...

i love the beatles but they really are overrated. the most overrated thing, in my opinion, is james dean though.

...this, however, is pure slander.

34y5p50.gif

Edit: Oh Christ I've missed a Monicker rant. *paces*

Edit #2:

I always feel smarter after reading one of Monicker's posts.

Yes. I always say this. I feel like I'm back in high school.

tumblr_nbdq8rb2Ps1qz85zpo1_400.png

The highlight of any Lana show is the screamy bit in Million Dollar Man. At the Itunes Festival she was so emotional and it was just perfect. Also I live for Radio being performed live.

one time, lana del rey told me that I made her day~ it was awesome

I find the Beatles pretty boring. I listened to some of there songs, I think one was Hey Jude? And did not see the appeal. The only Beatles song I know other than Hey Jude is Helter Skelter for obvious reasons. Also, every time I decide to torture myself and watch MTV - some musician comes on the television and is asked their favorite bands and songs, every musician has labeled The Beatles as their greatest inspiration - it's cringeworthy to me. It seems like the trend is to claim your "influenced" by them. I hope that made sense.

I respect The Beatles for what they have done for music, but honestly, they bore me to tears, i only like 2 songs by them.

As for MDM live, i agree it's an odd one on video, but when i saw her live, the cat dying vocals actually worked really well and it sounded great. The crowd loved it.

I respect The Beatles for what they have done for music, but honestly, they bore me to tears, i only like 2 songs by them.

As for MDM live, i agree it's an odd one on video, but when i saw her live, the cat dying vocals actually worked really well and it sounded great. The crowd loved it.

I don't like The Beatles either and I usually get so much shit for that. I am not alone! Yayyyy! :excited:

I like the Million Dollar Man performances more than the studio version.

sort of ~

The Jonas Brothers revolutionized rock music, expecting a collab soon Lana!!!!

Ahmed was basically a Jonas stan, no joke. On his personal he literally didn't tweet about Lana and lots was about them.

one time, lana del rey told me that I made her day~ it was awesome

That's not A-T on BoaF, Ms. USA :hottie: <----- (this is the first time i ever use this gif...i'm moving up in the world)

Hope this is sarcasm (I'm no good with sarcasm lol) but if Birds of a Feather doesn't use AutoTune I'm fucked. :defeated: However her voice sounds so edited in that song. :imbeingsarcasticbitch2: