brokenfaith

Album Trailer Featuring "Shades of Cool," "Ultraviolence," and "Brooklyn Baby" Snippets

Don't want to listen to a stupid snippet of Brooklyn Baby and that's why I turned the volume down when it came on  :toofunny:

First of all I'm glad that she got a promo video at all ! Oh and shame on me but I like those 2 minutes better than the entire West Coast video  :creep:  Why did they cut out all the cute and exciting scenes ????

lana-del-rey-high-by-the-beach_zpscfcsgx

But we've only heard 40 seconds of "Brooklyn Baby", I don't understand why people think it sucks lyrically?  :erm:

Also, if it really sucks, the vibe makes up for it, like totally imo.

No but you guys really do too much about her lyrics. A verse like "Do you like my fake nails, daddy? / Black palm tree, pink tiger stripes / Used to go to the Comfort Inn, yeah / Will you buy me a slice of cherry pie?" would get ripped to shreds if we'd never heard it and it popped up in 2014 with her deep ass voice and big lips. But no she wuz Lizzy she wuz poor how cute she tried then (?). Not to say Paradise doesn't have some shit lyrics but Brooklyn Baby is not the battle to fight :toofunny:

Ok so I can agree w/ u to a point because I don't think a song has to have amazing lyrics to be enjoyable

but those songs/lyrics you have as examples weren't meant to be deep. they were simple but unique and inventive. It's obvious that Lana is trying to come off as a deep person and wants people to think of her as something more that superificial but I mean name dropping the underground and beatnik poetry? i wear ~feathers in my hair~ I'm deep, i'm unique, look @ me look @ me.

but its not up to you what people ~think~ too much about. to critique a critique is just absurd, especially because some people are fans of lana because of her lyrics..

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

idk... her themes have always been the same and sort of repetitive IMO but at least there was some originality in her writing and the way she expressed them. Those repetitive themes are the only thing that differentiate her lyrically. apart from production, she just continues to regress. sry this probs makes no sense.

My boyfriend's in the band

He plays guitar while I sing Lou Reed

I've got feathers in my hair

I get down to Beat poetry

I'm a Brooklyn baby

I'm a Brooklyn baby

These are the lyrics that I found from BB. What is wrong with them? If you don't like her themes jump of the Lana train because it can happen that she will never change those themes: desperate love, abusive relationships, death, doomed fate, love for the beat poets etc. I think that these are great themes to sing about, i would rather cringe at some wannabe "social thinkers" in pop/rock music. I don't see Paradise as a lyrical regress from BTD and certainly UV is more of a sonic departure from her previous work than a lyrical one. That said I enjoy the "sonic monster" that UV is gradually revealing and certainly the lyrics helps in creating a mood  and a visual context for the music. If you wanna read some deep shit lyrically you have to do better than pop or rock music. I cringe at people who expect Shakespearean lyrics from a pop act. A Wagner libretto shits on Pink Floyd entire lyrical content, get real, this is pop music and Lana is the ”queen of sadcore”, this is her genre and there are some limitations sonically and lyrically. (btw The Beatles were quite repetitive at the beginning of their career and that didn't stop them to be considered the greatest band in history). Maybe she'll change her perspective for the next albums but UV wasn't the right time for that. The music and the lyrics are just great together (UV will take some shit for the lyrics but I like the mood of the song, it's great live)

I'm a Brooklyn baby

I'm a Brooklyn baby

These are the lyrics that I found from BB. What is wrong with them? If you don't like her themes jump of the Lana train because it can happen that she will never change those themes: desperate love, abusive relationships, death, doomed fate, love for the beat poets etc. I think that these are great themes to sing about, i would rather cringe at some wannabe "social thinkers" in pop/rock music. I don't see Paradise as a lyrical regress from BTD and certainly UV is more of a sonic departure from her previous work than a lyrical one. That said I enjoy the "sonic monster" that UV is gradually revealing and certainly the lyrics helps in creating a mood  and a visual context for the music. If you wanna read some deep shit lyrically you have to do better than pop or rock music. I cringe at people who expect Shakespearean lyrics from a pop act. A Wagner libretto shits on Pink Floyd entire lyrical content, get real, this is pop music and Lana is the ”queen of sadcore”, this is her genre and there are some limitations sonically and lyrically. (btw The Beatles were quite repetitive at the beginning of their career and that didn't stop them to be considered the greatest band in history). Maybe she'll change her perspective for the next albums but UV wasn't the right time for that. The music and the lyrics are just great together (UV will take some shit for the lyrics but I like the mood of the song, it's great live)

that could have been summed up in like 3 sentences. idek wtf u mean by "social thinkers" in pop/rock 

No but you guys really do too much about her lyrics. A verse like "Do you like my fake nails, daddy? / Black palm tree, pink tiger stripes / Used to go to the Comfort Inn, yeah / Will you buy me a slice of cherry pie?" would get ripped to shreds if we'd never heard it and it popped up in 2014 with her deep ass voice and big lips. But no she wuz Lizzy she wuz poor how cute she tried then (?). Not to say Paradise doesn't have some shit lyrics but Brooklyn Baby is not the battle to fight :toofunny:

It's more than that, at least to me. Good lyrics are good lyrics, but bad/mediocre lyrics can be elevated by production / mood / delivery. I don't think lyrics are the be-all, end-all of a song, and I don't think anyone else here that has a bone to pick with them thinks that either.

In Trash Magic, there's this sort of whimsical, idiosyncratic production, and coupled with the nostalgic mood of the song and seductive, whisper way it is sung, the lyrics take a back seat. She could be singing about fucking donkeys for all I care and I would still fall under the song's spell... Okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you get my point. 

In Brooklyn Baby... it's just bizarre. The admittedly little we've heard has, in my opinion, horrible lyrics. The production/delivery fails to elevate the lyrics, and if anything, highlights how fucking blasé they are. "My boyfriend's in a band / He plays guitar while I sing Lou Reed" Like... what? 

Honestly, I think she is more than deserving of criticism considering that she considers herself a writer first and foremost ("~wanted to be a beautiful poet~") and her crappy "I KNOW RILL ART N NO 1 ELS DOES" attitude...

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…

that could have been summed up in like 3 sentences. idek wtf u mean by "social thinkers" in pop/rock 

I said wannabe social thinkers = an artist that "reflects" on social issues and creates "masterpieces" like Royals to appear somewhat more grounded and deep (i don't have anything against Lorde but Royals lyrics made me cringe). There were some good artists that sang about social issues like J. Cash but he sang in a different era without instant news and endless social and political debates on the internet or TV. I don't wanna be informed by pop artist regarding the shit that happens around me I would rather want them to affect my emotional side like Lana does

Ok so I can agree w/ u to a point because I don't think a song has to have amazing lyrics to be enjoyable

but those songs/lyrics you have as examples weren't meant to be deep. they were simple but unique and inventive. It's obvious that Lana is trying to come off as a deep person and wants people to think of her as something more that superificial but I mean name dropping the underground and beatnik poetry? i wear ~feathers in my hair~ I'm deep, i'm unique, look @ me look @ me.

but its not up to you what people ~think~ too much about. to critique a critique is just absurd, especially because some people are fans of lana because of her lyrics..

I do my hair up, all high and wide, white flowers, tie-dye --> "look @ me look @ me" lol :sideeye:

I'm not saying Lana hasn't invited this criticism herself with some of her interviews but let's call it what it is and say Lana's always been this way and the supposed glory days aren't all that. It just seems like (not saying it is) this particular criticism is coming from a kind of disenchantment a lot of fans have with her current persona and a knee-jerk preference for anything ~nostalgic~

re critiquing a critique and people being fans of her lyrics: I just found it odd because these BB lyrics are so Lizzy in style and delivery, they just happen to include more tryhard references. So I could get behind an argument calling her tryhard but not one saying she doesn't try (or she used to be worlds better). lol if that makes sense

It's more than that, at least to me. Good lyrics are good lyrics, but bad/mediocre lyrics can be elevated by production / mood / delivery. I don't think lyrics are the be-all, end-all of a song, and I don't think anyone else here that has a bone to pick with them thinks that either.

In Trash Magic, there's this sort of whimsical, idiosyncratic production, and coupled with the nostalgic mood of the song and seductive, whisper way it is sung, the lyrics take a back seat. She could be singing about fucking donkeys for all I care and I would still fall under the song's spell... Okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you get my point. 

In Brooklyn Baby... it's just bizarre. The admittedly little we've heard has, in my opinion, horrible lyrics. The production/delivery fails to elevate the lyrics, and if anything, highlights how fucking blasé they are. "My boyfriend's in a band / He plays guitar while I sing Lou Reed" Like... what? 

Honestly, I think she is more than deserving of criticism considering that she considers herself a writer first and foremost ("~wanted to be a beautiful poet~") and her crappy "I KNOW RILL ART N NO 1 ELS DOES" attitude...

Observe that disenchantment I mentioned :P I get you but that's a matter of opinion I think because the production is giving me everything.

I'm a Brooklyn baby

I'm a Brooklyn baby

We listen to different songs and see different Lana Del Rey videos. Nathional Anthem is a clear "social thinker" song and video. Why A$ap? Why the chains? Why he's black? What is the most watched TV Show in US? Why is Obama in all those celebrity TV shows instead of doing announcements front the White House? Why he's on Ellen? The View? Why Michele Obama appeared on Nashiville?? You see, you just didn't understand the song or the video. Lana's themes are far more social then you think and National Anthem and Tropico are brilliant examples of that. So is VG.

Look at the lyrics on Ride but associate them with the monologue and you will have the perfect answer. Also, clearly, she's not talking about a hooker or character hooker is she (on Ride)? 

glgcDdT.gif

I said wannabe social thinkers = an artist that "reflects" on social issues and creates "masterpieces" like Royals to appear somewhat more grounded and deep (i don't have anything against Lorde but Royals lyrics made me cringe). There were some good artists that sang about social issues like J. Cash but he sang in a different era without instant news and endless social and political debates on the internet or TV. I don't wanna be informed by pop artist by the shit that happens around me I would rather want them to affect my emotional side like Lana does

okay i think a better example for ur argument would be someone like macklemore or katy perry w/ "firework" lady gaga "born this way" etc since lorde wasn't really trying 2 send a message per se w/ royals and she doesn't even like the song lol

but i get yA!

I do my hair up, all high and wide, white flowers, tie-dye --> "look @ me look @ me" lol :sideeye:

I'm not saying Lana hasn't invited this criticism herself with some of her interviews but let's call it what it is and say Lana's always been this way and the supposed glory days aren't all that. It just seems like (not saying it is) this particular criticism is coming from a kind of disenchantment a lot of fans have with her current persona and a knee-jerk preference for anything ~nostalgic~

re critiquing a critique and people being fans of her lyrics: I just found it odd because these BB lyrics are so Lizzy in style and delivery, they just happen to include more tryhard references. So I could get behind an argument calling her tryhard but not one saying she doesn't try (or she used to be worlds better). lol if that makes sense

Observe that disenchantment I mentioned :P I get you but that's a matter of opinion I think because the production is giving me everything.

idk i doesn't really mean that much 2 me.. lol i can tell the song won't be for me but I love shades of cool and ultraviolence sounds good so win sum ya lose sum. 

and i do think her name dropping random things like that just makes a song sound cheap, i know she used 2 do that in the LG era but idk it was different. 

and i mean the look @ me thing as she wants people to KNOW she is deep.. she talks about current artists as if they are beneath her and then she puts out lyrics like that? its just a little silly to me. I wish I could find this old FB post of hers.. someone accused her of not being deep and she got mad haha

maybe part of it is just being part of the industry for so long and people mistaking her as an airhead/not being respected because she was singing pop.. I remember hearing something about that.. so she changed her sound to be taken more seriously.. or did I just make that up? idk lol

We listen to different songs and see different Lana Del Rey videos. Nathional Anthem is a clear "social thinker" song and video. Why A$ap? Why the chains? Why he's black? What is the most watched TV Show in US? Why is Obama in all those celebrity TV shows instead of doing announcements front the White House? Why he's on Ellen? The View? Why Michele Obama appeared on Nashiville?? You see, you just didn't understand the song or the video. Lana's themes are far more social then you think and National Anthem and Tropico are brilliant examples of that. So is VG.

Look at the lyrics on Ride but associate them with the monologue and you will have the perfect answer. Also, clearly, she's not talking about a hooker or character hooker is she (on Ride)? 

You gotta give more thorough examples. You always talk about National Anthem as a "social critique" but you never actually explain how it is...

The nostalgia from a time Lana didn't live is a critic itself. She's not nostalgic about technology, she's not nostalgic about cars but what that time represent. I believe in the country America used to be defines a lot of her nostalgia. It's the people, culture, politic, behavior she's nostalgic about. The cars, music, clothes are just a way to represent visually the said nostalgia and moment in time. She's not a retro crazy like Dita, her nostalgia is far more deep and evolved. 

glgcDdT.gif

The bizzare thing is that you dismiss a lyrical content because of one verse. That was done against her by many "critics"who singled out a word or a verse to dismiss an entire song. It's just LAME. "My boyfriend's in a band / He plays guitar while I sing Lou Reed" its like the verses in VG:

"Swingin' in the backyard

Pull up in your fast car

Whistlin' my name

Open up a beer" etc.

they are describing a moment with significance from her relationship, a starting point to a story.

Wait for the entire lyrical content of the song to judge it

I'm agreeing somewhat with what you said regarding the NA video. But the social themes are rather marginal in her work

The bizzare thing is that you dismiss a lyrical content because one verse. That was done against her by many "critics"who single out a word or a verse to dismiss an entire song. It's just LAME. "My boyfriend's in a band / He plays guitar while I sing Lou Reed" its like the verses in VG:

"Swingin' in the backyard

Pull up in your fast car

Whistlin' my name

Open up a beer" etc.

they are describing a moment with significance from her relationship, a starting point to a story.

Um... I wrote "The admittedly little we've heard has, in my opinion, horrible lyrics. "

Also, harking back to my original post: Video Games is a prime example of, in my opinion, not so great lyrics elevated by production, mood, and delivery. I think the song is stunningly beautiful, but reading the lyrics does nothing for me. When i listen to it, however, I get a sense of sincerity that isn't readily apparent just by reading words on a page/screen. 

The nostalgia from a time Lana didn't live is a critic itself. She's not nostalgic about technology, she's not nostalgic about cars but what that time represent. I believe in the country America used to be defines a lot of her nostalgia. It's the people, culture, politic, behavior she's nostalgic about. The cars, music, clothes are just a way to represent visually the said nostalgia and moment in time. She's not a retro crazy like Dita, her nostalgia is far more deep and evolved. 

Being nostalgic for a time you never lived in is such a white person thing  :toofunny:  :toofunny:  :toofunny:

Like no POC is ever gonna be like "i miss the culture and politics of the 60s"