brokenfaith

Album Trailer Featuring "Shades of Cool," "Ultraviolence," and "Brooklyn Baby" Snippets

Ok. I really hate being the negative one, but after thinking about it, I doubt this record is going to be a smash with the critics. I just read an article where this "journalist" described the concert in Vancouver. He started talking pretty positively about some of the other acts, then he went on to Lana and started talking about how her name isn't really Lana Del Rey (for those of us who didn't know) Of course, he used the obligatory SNL story to fill up about a third of the article. The whole thing was extremely unprofessional but I mean, do any of us really think it'll get better? If anything it might get worse, people will talk about how she's a bad role model and romanticises domestic violence (even if Eminem, a fucking MAN sings about beating + killing woman, yet critics excuse him because "he's not really being serious, sexist values right there for ya')

Lana fans are literally the most over-thinking bunch of people. lol I personally love the sound of Brooklyn Baby, the lyrics are fine. I wasnt expecting every song to be written at the highest level, but I dont think these lyrics are too bad. Maybe this song wasnt meant to be a lyrical song, but more of a just listen to the sound and feel it, type of song. Idk. :bye2:

Ok. I really hate being the negative one, but after thinking about it, I doubt this record is going to be a smash with the critics. I just read an article where this "journalist" described the concert in Vancouver. He started talking pretty positively about some of the other acts, then he went on to Lana and started talking about how her name isn't really Lana Del Rey (for those of us who didn't know) Of course, he used the obligatory SNL story to fill up about a third of the article. The whole thing was extremely unprofessional but I mean, do any of us really think it'll get better? If anything it might get worse, people will talk about how she's a bad role model and romanticises domestic violence (even if Eminem, a fucking MAN sings about beating + killing woman, yet critics excuse him because "he's not really being serious, sexist values right there for ya')

party.gif?w=1100

Honestly... I think you've put WAY more thought into this than Lana ever did.  :toofunny: 

I think there are a lot of intelligent people on the forum that assign too much meaning to Lana's work and give her too much credit. Liking pretty things and being subversive is basically the whole of her artistry.

This is very accurate

Can we cuddle

tumblr_ni9eu5I7Qh1qzmb8eo5_500.png

Ok, West Coast + SoC + UV = fell in love, BBY = need to hear whole thing, I'm not sure if I like it or not atm, but I'm sure that I'm gonna love it... Actually, I'm already in love with the whole album...

I guess it means that I'm in love with BBY too  :oic2:

giphy.gifTwitter: johndelferro

I always end up liking the whole damn thing... it happened with BTD and Paradise so it'll happen with UV :defeated:

This is so sick I've never been this much into an artist as to like entire albums, Lana has something really catchy about her music, not to mention her image and persona

ZmJh1LG.jpg

I always end up liking the whole damn thing... it happened with BTD and Paradise so it'll happen with UV :defeated:

This is so sick I've never been this much into an artist as to like entire albums, Lana has something really catchy about her music, not to mention her image and persona

I can relate to that

Do you read my mind?  :hdu:

Do you read my mind?  :hdu:

I just can't help it, each time I said 'Ugh, this song is horrible how could she made something like this' I found myself humming it the next day, and by the third day I knew the lyrics and had it on full blast on my speakers.

It happened with OTTR, Lolita, TIWMUG, Yayo and others...

There's something dark here :illumilana:

ZmJh1LG.jpg

I just can't help it, each time I said 'Ugh, this song is horrible how could she made something like this' I found myself humming it the next day, and by the third day I knew the lyrics and had it on full blast on my speakers.

It happened with OTTR, Lolita, TIWMUG, Yayo and others...

There's something dark here :illumilana:

O. M. G. YOU'RE RIGHT   :shock:

idk... her themes have always been the same and sort of repetitive 

aren't they supposed to be? as a singer? singing about her own life? (experiences etc)

aren't they supposed to be? as a singer? singing about her own life? (experiences etc)

ya...lol sorry, I probably didn't explain myself too well. I have no problem with her repetitive themes, but its the way she continues to express them.

I just find her writing, as of lately, comes off immature. It sounds like its written by a 16 year old who wants to let everyone know they have some basic knowledge on ~underground~ stuff. it feels try hard-ish as someone said earlier. no matter how shallow or poorly written some of her previous work may have been, it seemed to mean *something

anyhoo I should probs stop. I didn't expect all this tbh

VyIsfwC.jpg

Singer-songwriters write in character form. Nobody writes an autobiography. Don't trust Lana when she says that her songs are autobiographical. That word is quite a stretch. 

There is a little bit of her in it, but ppl need to let go of the idea that Lana is presenting us her diary.

Singer-songwriters write in character form. Nobody writes an autobiography. Don't trust Lana when she says that her songs are autobiographical. That word is quite a stretch. 

There is a little bit of her in it, but ppl need to let go of the idea that Lana is presenting us her diary.

never thought that, but what she sings about is still based off of something in her life, for example interests 

never thought that, but what she sings about is still based off of something in her life, for example interests 

Lana is not classical trained musician which means she is not writing while playing an instrument.

For instance many singer songwriters start writing the music first on piano or guitar and then write the lyrics on top of it.

Lana is not capable of something like this, since her guitar skills are pretty basic. For her, words come first and then the musicians join her.

Of course, there is always a bit of her in her songs and mostly they start with something that is or was current in her life.

For instance she mentioned that the new record was partly inspired by Wall Of Sound, a recording technique developed by Phil Spector. And one of his hits was "He Hit Me And It Felt Like A Kiss" by The Crystals. She was probably listening to that track and then with this line the song Ultraviolence started. It does not mean that she was actually being beaten up by one of her ex-boyfriends. She is just painting a picture with words with something she listened to.

Same could be said about other songs. She maybe talked about her private life with somebody in an interview and mentioned what Barrie is doing and maybe that's how the first lyrics for Brooklyn Baby were created.