Sitar

LANALYSIS: Relating Songs To Known/Assumed Relationships

Hi guys 

i was just wondering something, I read this topic and saw a lot information about Lana that was new for me

But the farther I got in to the topic, the more I began wondering.

are some things not too personal to talk about?

she changed some things for a reason and isn't it good to let it be what it is?

Just wondering what you guys think about it. 

no offence or something, because also love the good research of you guys hahahah

:smile2:

Okay here's why we're on a forum for Lana Del Rey doing Lanalysis and not Taylorswiftalysis. Most of this stuff is up in the air, as much as many of us accept it as fact. A majority of this thread is discussion of intuition based on stuff that Lana has handed us. The invasive stuff like Facebook posts is unfortunate, but it would be negligent and unrealistic as fans to ignore stuff once it's there in front of your face. Beyond that, I'm wondering what you think is too personal to discuss? Gogo dancing? Addiction? Sleeping around? Famous boyfriends? Most of that stuff is derived from her lyrics.

Gogo dancing:

- I'm your gogo dancer.

- Watch me dance for other guys.

- Disco, gogo dancer so rare.

- Motel singer or the silver pole.

- All the men are watching, the crowd is cheering.

Drug addiction:

- Get Drunk

- A GQ interview she knew would be published

Sleeping around:

- Making Out

- I know your wife, she wouldn't mind

Famous boyfriends:

- I said hey, Jimmy Gnecco, I like the way your name echo (a name drop if I've ever heard one)

Yeah, this list includes leaked songs, but note I didn't cite any examples from her very personal home demos.

I understand where this thread makes people uncomfortable but to that point I'd recommend avoiding it. Many people do. I can only tell you that the intention is to only use information that's on the world wide web in this thread, despite a wealth of other sources, including but not limited to interaction with some of the subjects on the part of our more zealous members.

I hope you find an appreciation for Lanalysis but if you don't I hope it doesn't continue to bother you too much. Hope I helped illuminate something.

Yeah, this list includes leaked songs, but note I didn't cite any examples from her very personal home demos.

okay this is where i'm completely having a WHAT?! moment. of what's leaked, what falls under that category? i was completely unaware that there were tracks that close to home (for her) that got out.

tumblr_mg9v6lYlwT1qhhn3go1_500.png

okay this is where i'm completely having a WHAT?! moment. of what's leaked, what falls under that category? i was completely unaware that there were tracks that close to home (for her) that got out.

To me this is a very specific sect of her music. Stuff she recorded at home but didn't put on MySpace. Think a cappella demos like Little Carmen and Methamphetamines. Whereas she recorded songs like Elvis at home but they were on MySpace. Lest I get caught up in hypotheticals and semantics I shouldn't go on, but I feel less guilty discussing studio recordings for Lanalysis. Who knows if I'd have a moral dilemma if someone hacked an a cappella recording of her singing K's real name.

Basically personal assumptions. Nothing she's actually admitted to.

@sitarhero

You cleared my mind a little bit, And I sure appreciate lanalysis.

But I think it's what you said, a little bit uncomfortable for me.

Happy to talk about it. This thread is like my pet and I hate seeing people get the wrong idea about it.

Happy to talk about it. This thread is like my pet and I hate seeing people get the wrong idea about it.

are you comparing this beautiful thread to your algae ball?

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

Maybe you already said it above and I couldn't find it but Lana said in an interview that Video Games is about her boyfriend when she was a teenager and the title describes just what they did most of the time after school: playing video games... 

lana-del-rey-high-by-the-beach_zpscfcsgx

I know we've only just got it yesterday, but have any of you tried Lanalyzing Young and Beautiful? I know most of lyrics are not very deep but the part where she mentions God and Heaven may have some significance.

I know we've only just got it yesterday, but have any of you tried Lanalyzing Young and Beautiful? I know most of lyrics are not very deep but the part where she mentions God and Heaven may have some significance.

i think it's just about fame, her much-sung-about beauty and barrie, nothing deep, like most of paradise. and she believes in god so her mentioning god and heaven isn't too weird

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

i think it's just about fame, her much-sung-about beauty and barrie, nothing deep, like most of paradise. and she believes in god so her mentioning god and heaven isn't too weird

So you think it should definitely be labeled as a song about Barrie? I just thought maybe it could be about one of the other guys because "the way you'd play for me at your show" could apply to multiple men. Also, "when he comes, tell me that you'll let him in" implies that "her man" might be up for debate in God's eyes, suggesting that he's committed sins (I mean, we all have, but you know what I mean). 

Of course it might just be much easier to say she's singing about Barrie and call it a day hahaha.

So you think it should definitely be labeled as a song about Barrie? I just thought maybe it could be about one of the other guys because "the way you'd play for me at your show" could apply to multiple men. Also, "when he comes, tell me that you'll let him in" implies that "her man" might be up for debate in God's eyes, suggesting that he's committed sins (I mean, we all have, but you know what I mean). 

Of course it might just be much easier to say she's singing about Barrie and call it a day hahaha.

I’ve seen the world done it all,
Had my cake, now.
Diamonds, brilliant,
And Bel Air, now.

she's toured the world, she's made money, can afford diamonds and live in l.a.. bel air is either what she calls hollywood or she's talking about heaven, maybe she's dying/dead while she's singing this? like right before she's supposed to go to heaven?

Hot summer nights, mid-July,
When you and I were forever wild.
The crazy days, city lights,
The way you’d play with me like a child.

from american which is about barrie too imo

Will you still love me,
When I’m no longer,
Young and beautiful?
Will you still love me.
When I’ve got nothing,
But my achin’ soul?
I know you will, I know you will,
I know that you will.
Will you still love me,
When I’m no longer beautiful?

lana being vain as fuck

I’ve seen the world, lit it up,
As my stage, now.
Channeling angels in,
The new age, now.

touring, it sounds like she's closing a chapter, like all of that is in the past (again, is this future-her singing? since she isn't giving up music)

Hot summer days, rock and roll,
The way you’d play for me at your show.
And all the ways I got to know,
Your pretty face and electric soul.

barrie's a musician, his band kassidy is opening for her, she called the guy from video games (mike) electric but she's also said that when she looks for a partner she looks for someone who makes her feel electric so this could also be barrie

Dear Lord, when I get to heaven,
Please let me bring my man.
When he comes, tell me that you’ll let him in,
Father, tell me if you can.

this isn't anything deep imo, she's not talking about how he may not be able to get in, she's just making sure

from american which is about barrie too imo

Really? :teehee:  I mean, it's just odd since he's Scottish and not really golden brown. I've never been great at 'lanalysis' though; I agree that Y&B is not exactly deep. 

tumblr_n746y8etXI1qa35sao1_500.gif

Really? :teehee:  I mean, it's just odd since he's Scottish and not really golden brown. I've never been great at 'lanalysis' though; I agree that Y&B is not exactly deep. 

I get why people think American is about Barrie. The song says like and American. So she's comparing him to someone from America. However, I've never been 100% convinced that American is about him. 

I think Y&B is about K, the one who is apparently dead/in jail.

What gives it away you ask?

Whoever this K guy is, isn't getting out of jail tomorrow, it's going to be awhile, and when it happens Lana will have aged and won't look like her young self (as in looking young and beautiful)

(FYI, K getting out of jail is interchangeable with him already being dead and Lana waiting to get to heaven to meet him there. K died young, Lana dies as an old wrinkly woman. Will he still love her in the afterlife if she is no longer youthfully beautiful?)

This becomes more apparent in the bridge.

Lana is begging god to bring K to heaven instead of hell. Even though he has committed a crime and has sinned, he still has a good heart and makes Lana feel good inside. If not, Lana will be forever lonely and depressed.

With the line "had my cake now," Lana is relating life to desserts. A dessert (the cake) is the final dish to a full course meal. It's the happy ending; ones last meal before bed. Lana has lived a prosperous and eventful life and is ready to move onto the afterlife and be with her one true love.

Funny that she mentions Bel Air, if I were to analyze that song (Bel Air), I would decode it as Bel Air being heaven and Lana waiting to meet her one true love (K) there, much like this song.

The first verse of Y&B reminds me very much of Carey Mulligans character in Gatsby, but the second verse is very typical of Lana, which makes me think Lana went back and made adjustments lyrically to the song to fit the movie. I also get an "American" vibe whenever I listen to the song. Again, there's also similarities lyrically, which makes me think American may have once been intended to be for Gatsby. After all, Gatsby's skin is golden brown, ;)

Whoever this K guy is, isn't getting out of jail tomorrow, it's going to be awhile, and when it happens Lana will have aged and won't look like her young self (as in looking young and beautiful)

(FYI, K getting out of jail is interchangeable with him already being dead and Lana waiting to get to heaven to meet him there. K died young, Lana dies as an old wrinkly woman. Will he still love her in the afterlife if she is no longer youthfully beautiful?)

Lana is begging god to bring K to heaven instead of hell. Even though he has committed a crime and has sinned, he still has a good heart and makes Lana feel good inside. If not, Lana will be forever lonely and depressed.

With the line "had my cake now," Lana is relating life to desserts. A dessert (the cake) is the final dish to a full course me. It's the happy ending; ones last meal before bed. Lana has lived a prosperous and eventful life and is ready to move onto the afterlife and be with her one true love.

Funny that she mentions Bel Air, as if I were to analyze that song (Bel Air), I would decode it as Bel Air being heaven and Lana waiting to meet her one true love (K) there, much like this song.

Agree with this. I get a very strong vibe that K has influenced this song for Lana.

With the line "had my cake now," Lana is relating life to desserts. A dessert (the cake) is the final dish to a full course me. It's the happy ending; ones last meal before bed. Lana has lived a prosperous and eventful life and is ready to move onto the afterlife and be with her one true love.

Funny that she mentions Bel Air, if I were to analyze that song (Bel Air), I would decode it as Bel Air being heaven and Lana waiting to meet her one true love (K) there, much like this song.

The first verse of Y&B reminds me very much of Carey Mulligans character in Gatsby, but the second verse is very typical of Lana, which makes me think Lana went back and made adjustments lyrically to the song to fit the movie. I also get an "American" vibe whenever I listen to the song. Again, there's also similarities lyrically, which makes me think American may have once been intended to be for Gatsby. After all, Gatsby's skin is golden brown, ;)

All of this makes sense.

On the flip side, it could be about Barrie because he plays for her at his shows and I can't imagine she's writing the song without relationship permanence in mind--i.e., growing old with someone. She's currently with Barrie and it sure doesn't seem like she's just passing the time until she gets to heaven and reunites with K. This is pretty much the same reason I doubt that Bel Air is about K. It seems like she's moved on, although she continues to honor lost love. I can see why Blue Jeans or Dark Paradise would be about K because she wasn't necessarily in a relationship at the time. Who knows, maybe if her and Barrie broke up, she'd continue to sing about how that dead man was her one true love (evidently similar to the subject matter she returned to post Mike, etc, breakups).

What if K was (David) Kahne? I just thought about it, he seems to be the only person in Lana's life that seems to have a name the starts with the letter K as far as I can remember.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

Have we ruled out the thought that K could have been a musician? We have no way of knowing.. But it seems like everyone automatically applies lyrics like "play for me at your show" to Barrie because he's in a band. K could have very well been in a band, too.