Sitar

LANALYSIS: Relating Songs To Known/Assumed Relationships

Who's Benny Mason (mentioned in Out with a Bang)? I googled him and the first photo that came up on images was a mugshot.

Oh god I did the same. Laughed so so hard. I doubt its the same guy though. I googled Benny Mason New York too and all that came up was a horse called Benny Mason who gives people rides around Central Park or something....

tumblr_mno1uzdctJ1qagwgxo1_500.png

About Young and Beautiful, does anybody remember this tweet?

2vt61sp.jpg

Seems to me that she never really stopped thinking of this moment, when she's gonna be looking back at her life right before she gets to heaven. The theories about Y&B instantly reminded me of it.

Anyone know anything about her time in L.A/ living at the Chateau Marmount/ going to Vegas?

she has an apartment in l.a. and she said she lives there w chuck and charlie and she used to visit the chateau sometimes

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

Who's Benny Mason (mentioned in Out with a Bang)? I googled him and the first photo that came up on images was a mugshot.

IDK maybe its a real person, but I kind of think its a made up name, like one of those generic,classic 60s sitcom sort of names. Kind of like in Boarding School live- Come on, Billy, let's support our Boarding School. Or in Puppy Love- Promise I'll never see Arthur or Bobby

A man named Jonatan Johansson died from a skiing accident in Lake Placid in 2006 ~ Lake Placid is fairly small, I'm sure this was heavily talked about, possibly inspired by him?  Or Leonardo David who died in 1985, after being in a coma for 5 years following a ski fall in Lake Placid~ he died in Lana's birth year.  I remember seeing a FB post by Lana saying they used to ski/ go atving in Lake Placid. Possible that she googled her town and birth year for inspiration? Reaching?

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

This song is pretty self explanatory so I don't know if this is necessary but IDK how it could be any clearer that lana was a go go dancer but people still don't believe

"Came tonight to put my work on display" The object of affection of some rich execs. Go go dancing is her idea of work since she never has to work since her daddy is rich  :hooker:

"You don't get it.." I think this is her talking to her misunderstanding boyfriend, eh doesn't agree with her doing this while she is in a relationship, displaying herself for other men.

"It's not about us, just forget about us" Forget about our relationship.. "I won't fall in love" She is still committed to this guy even though she is slutting it up in St. Tropez

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

This song is pretty self explanatory so I don't know if this is necessary but IDK how it could be any clearer that lana was a go go dancer but people still don't believe

"Came tonight to put my work on display" The object of affection of some rich execs. Go go dancing is her idea of work since she never has to work since her daddy is rich  :hooker:

"You don't get it.." I think this is her talking to her misunderstanding boyfriend, eh doesn't agree with her doing this while she is in a relationship, displaying herself for other men.

"It's not about us, just forget about us" Forget about our relationship.. "I won't fall in love" She is still committed to this guy even though she is slutting it up in St. Tropez

:assad: I hadn't thought of it that way. But doesn't that neglect, like, the whole narrative? To me, it seems like a rich stranger is trying to woo her in St. Tropez, for whatever reason she's there, and he doesn't fit her standards.

I don't know if this is something to consider but I'm making a note of it here anyway.

In "Jimmy Gnecco", she says "You're my sunshine" and that kind of goes with the whole Jimmy having a song called "Lavender" (as in "You call me lavender, you call me sunshine").

Oh wow. I've been a fan of Lana since Video Games went viral but have only recently become completely amazed and fascinated by her and her music.

This thread is responsible for me discovering all of Lana's earlier material and seeing her on a whole new level. Thank you very much @SitarHero  :)

See I think it's more about her, the "party girl" (there was actually an interesting article on ohnotheydidnt about the ~yacht girls~ of cannes and other glam locations!) explaining to the guy on her arm that she's just a party girl and not in it for love, she's just in it for the drinks, the glamour, and the danger, but even though she's explained that he's forgotten it and is getting attached?  I would take her "work" to mean just that, working the scene/using her body/charm as leverage. 

Am I the only one that thinks maybe 'Bill'(Trash Magic) and whoever she's singing about in Jump ("...Hair thinning in the wind...") could have to do with the men that were being portrayed in the Ride video? They were old-ish and one of them could have been named Bill.Trash Magic and Jump aren't exactly sentimental songs... idk.

Am I the only one that thinks maybe 'Bill'(Trash Magic) and whoever she's singing about in Jump ("...Hair thinning in the wind...") could have to do with the men that were being portrayed in the Ride video? They were old-ish and one of them could have been named Bill.Trash Magic and Jump aren't exactly sentimental songs... idk.

Are those the kind of men who would be watching Tv all day tho? :tsk:

I don't know if this is something to consider but I'm making a note of it here anyway.

In "Jimmy Gnecco", she says "You're my sunshine" and that kind of goes with the whole Jimmy having a song called "Lavender" (as in "You call me lavender, you call me sunshine").

It is actually Reeve who has the song "Lavender".

Oh wow. I've been a fan of Lana since Video Games went viral but have only recently become completely amazed and fascinated by her and her music.

This thread is responsible for me discovering all of Lana's earlier material and seeing her on a whole new level. Thank you very much @SitarHero  :)

:aw: How awesome to hear. I love when this thread excites people. Welcome to obsession! :creepna:

I've been thinking a lot about the potential of her relationship with Jimmy being nothing more than an obsession...Might Arthur be the more important guy? The "violent love", the "local rockstar", the man who couldn't behave in terms of addiction...And a friend of Jimmy's, too, correct? It's been a long road of assuming a lot about Jimmy based on Yayo and the name-drops, but maybe it's time to think more critically...

I'm going to post a simple list of all the songs with a name attributed to each before I post the final descriptions in the OP. The idea is that you'll field me your opinions but we'll see, I'm about half through.

Is 1949/Every Man Has His Wish about Jimmy or K?

I suppose I haven't really addressed this in the thread yet, but I'll go ahead and premiere a sneak peek of the next update with my opinion on EMHHW:

"(Initially, I thought this song was about Jimmy—there’s a Chevrolet, an “On Our Way”-style escape, “Us Against the World”-style waitress lyrics, and every man deserves to see the sunrise could very easily link to gonna stay with him ‘til morning in “Velvet Crowbar”—perhaps helping him cope, lasting through the night without drugs or alcohol? However, someone brought to my attention the red flags that this song might be about good ol’ Mr. Campbell, her teacher. That, of course, pulls us slightly out of fantasy territory and dangerously close to reality for that tale. But hear this: You said I’d never make it out of her alive vs. Teacher said we’d never make it out alive in “This is What Makes Us Girls” vs. If we don't leave town now, we're never gonna get out of here alive in “Take Me to Paris”; based on some stalky Facebook receipts I don’t actually have, he owns a Chevy; the heart-shaped sunglasses, baby you’ll never grow old in my eyes read very Lolita. Both sides are too valid to ignore.)"

So for now he's under "more than one".

As for "1949", I think the simple change to a Pontiac is very important, actually. Pontiac equals Arthur Lynn in this world, of course, but then again "big jail break" hints toward K.

so, in the kpri interview lana says that one of her ex-boyfriends is from san diego and that he was into surf punk rock so this makes me think blue jeans is about that guy. jimmy was born and raised in jersey, reeve was born in nyc and went to high school and college in l.a. arthur lynn lives in nyc now but idk where he's from. we've speculated before that blue jeans might be about k so i'm guessing this tells us k is from san diego? lana also mentioned that she had never been to san diego before that interview so it doesn't help much but i thought that little bit of info was noteworthy.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.