Sitar

LANALYSIS: Relating Songs To Known/Assumed Relationships

I think with this new information it makes it a lot easier to identify who she's referring to in Never Let Me Go and Get Drunk.

Yeah, some Jimmy songs are easily transferred to Arthur and Reeve, I suppose...She defined "homie hopper", for sure :teehee:

However, there are a select few songs that definitely are about Jimmy, anyway.

- "Jimmy Gnecco" already represents a kind of school-girl crush, if you think about it.

- "Hundred Dollar Bill" is likely about her reading too far into minimal interactions that she had with Jimmy. She figures that him treating her negatively is his way of expressing mutual affection. I didn't say it was healthy :teehee:

- "You're Gonna Love Me" not only name-drops Jim, but definitely comes across a little more obsessive than actually in love. You're gonna love me, I'm gonna make you.

- "Yayo", as David Kahne said, is about a stranger sweeping her off her feet and taking her away from her dark trailer park life. The similarities to Jimmy still stand, with the snake tattoo and the link on his Facebook.

- "Is It Wrong?" has now moved from basic local rockstar to a definite Jimmy song, with Stalking you has sort of become like my occupation.

Existing problems:

- Who was the small-time celebrity that she met in self-help? The subject of "Pawn Shop Blues"...

- Is it totally nuts that they might have had an affair in the D-A-R-K that he chooses to ignore now?

Yeah, some Jimmy songs are easily transferred to Arthur and Reeve, I suppose...She defined "homie hopper", for sure :teehee:

- "Jimmy Gnecco" already represents a kind of school-girl crush, if you think about it.

- "Hundred Dollar Bill" is likely about her reading too far into minimal interactions that she had with Jimmy. She figures that him treating her negatively is his way of expressing mutual affection. I didn't say it was healthy :teehee:

- "You're Gonna Love Me" not only name-drops Jim, but definitely comes across a little more obsessive than actually in love. You're gonna love me, I'm gonna make you.

- "Yayo", as David Kahne said, is about a stranger sweeping her off her feet and taking her away from her dark trailer park life. The similarities to Jimmy still stand, with the snake tattoo and the link on his Facebook.

- "Is It Wrong?" has now moved from basic local rockstar to a definite Jimmy song, with Stalking you has sort of become like my occupation

Yeah, as well as these, I think Put The Radio On is also about wanting to be with Jimmy

I don't wanna know I'm wrong

Cause I'm a really good girl,

You a very bad guy,

We're a little match made in heaven if I say so, yay-o

Come over here boy and play-o

(edit: i know it's already been established that this song was about jimmy. but I'm now thinking of it as the truth about jimmy and lana, whereas a lot of other songs would be fantasy. I used to think it was about wanting jimmy back after a break up, but it might actually be the start of the story)

tumblr_mnotclIc9L1s7mwiio4_500.gif

Yeah, as well as these, I think Put The Radio On is also about wanting to be with Jimmy

I don't wanna know I'm wrong

Cause I'm a really good girl,

You a very bad guy,

We're a little match made in heaven if I say so, yay-o

Come over here boy and play-o

(edit: i know it's already been established that this song was about jimmy. but I'm now thinking of it as the truth about jimmy and lana, whereas a lot of other songs would be fantasy. I used to think it was about wanting jimmy back after a break up, but it might actually be the start of the story)

That's such a dark song...I don't wanna know I'm wrong for you. I really hope she didn't do anything too drastic for attention (i.e., LIP INJECTIONS).

I've always closely linked that song with "Match Made in Heaven" and "Yayo" as Jimmy songs, because of those lyrics. So what to do with MMIH? I guess if you think about it, nothing in the lyrics really makes it a serious love song...Another crush :eek:

How could he not have wanted her? Suddenly Lana's music just became a lot more relatable for me :eartha:

How could he not have wanted her? Suddenly Lana's music just became a lot more relatable for me :eartha:

Well, she wasn't Lana back then.

She was plain-old simple looking Lizzie with dirty blonde hair, not the dark goddess she has evolved into over the years.

Yayo is still flawless tho :whitney:

- "Is It Wrong?" has now moved from basic local rockstar to a definite Jimmy song, with Stalking you has sort of become like my occupation.

Existing problems:

- Who was the small-time celebrity that she met in self-help? The subject of "Pawn Shop Blues"...

- Is it totally nuts that they might have had an affair in the D-A-R-K that he chooses to ignore now?

Now that we know Lizzy was more of a stalker than a girlfriend then maybe the creation of Lana and some of her music reflects Jimmy's dead fiancé rather than herself? As seen in the car crash in the BTD video, the swimming/drowning in Blue Jeans and Lana being alone in the house in Video Games.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

"Lucy's in the sky with ice tonight," Does she reffer to her dead friend? from Summertime Sadness?

I think it's just a reference to doing drugs...

Lucy's in the sky with ice tonight,
Heaven knows I've tried to find a cure.
Baby, if it's wrong I don't wanna be right,
And if you ask again, I'll say "I'm sure."

The "Lucy's in the sky" reference doesn't really need any explaining, "ice" is slang for meth, "tried to find a cure" could mean 'tried to get clean', "and if you ask again, I'll say 'I'm sure'" could mean that the guy she's with is asking her something like 'are you really sure you want to do this?' to which she says 'yes, I'm sure'.

EDIT: re: "ice" - as everyone knows, the original song goes "Lucy in the sky with diamonds"; 'ice' can simultaneously mean 'expensive jewlery, diamonds' as well as the above-mentioned drug slang. It could be an intentional play with words / double meanings.

Another K-themed song, I'd assume? With all the mafia references and whatnot...

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

Lucy's in the sky with ice tonight,
Heaven knows I've tried to find a cure.
Baby, if it's wrong I don't wanna be right,
And if you ask again, I'll say "I'm sure."

But couldnt it be her describing paradise? with ice? And shes tried to find a cure to not feel pain about her loss? Or maybe shes found the cure and its "ice"(ofc its a wrong "cure")? idk

But couldnt it be her describing paradise? with ice? And shes tried to find a cure to not feel pain about her loss? Or maybe shes found the cure and its "ice"(ofc its a wrong "cure")? idk

I don't know... What you said about the 'cure' being 'ice' (and simultaneously being 'wrong') kinda makes sense, but I personally don't think this song's deals with pain all that much... The only darker / more pessimistic lines are "The future's lookin' bright as black tonight / You tell me that our love cannot endure" and everything else is basically a description of happy times & her notion of paradise - with him in his bedroom, watching TV (and maybe doing drugs?).

But I could be completely wrong...

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

I don't know... What you said about the 'cure' being 'ice' (and simultaneously being 'wrong') kinda makes sense, but I personally don't think this song's deals with pain all that much... The only darker / more pessimistic lines are "The future's lookin' bright as black tonight / You tell me that our love cannot endure" and everything else is basically a description of happy times & her notion of paradise - with him in his bedroom, watching TV (and maybe doing drugs?).

But I could be completely wrong...

no no no,I think youre right, I agree its K-themed but just that little line. shes never mentioned a Lucy before, has she?

I think you guys are just really over thinking that ice line. Have you ever heard the The Beatles' song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"? Well "ice" is a slang term for diamond jewelry, and it's used in a lot of rap songs (see Icy by Gucci Mane). My guess is that that's probably as complicated as it gets.

I think you guys are just really over thinking that ice line. Have you ever heard the The Beatles' song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"? Well "ice" is a slang term for diamond jewelry, and it's used in a lot of rap songs (see Icy by Gucci Mane). My guess is that that's probably as complicated as it gets.

Like I said, given the other verses I still think it could easily be a double entendre. OR. I could just be giving her lyrical depth too much credit. :hooker:

Diagnosis on transforming Lanalysis post-Jimmy news is not great.

It's sort of looking like her timeline goes...

PRE-SIRENS

- Crush or more on Mr. Campbell, telling her she'd never make it out alive

- K as a teenager and early adulthood until his arrest

- Z-list celebrity who wasn't responsible with his addiction, Lana trying to her best to make him a good man (what do you need to get high for?) but him rejecting her ("Pretty Baby", "Junky Pride")

- Crush on Jimmy Gnecco, seemingly unrelated to the Z-list celeb because they probably were never together

- A married man (I'm Indebted to You) [Meeting in motels, Bill?]

POST-SIRENS

- Arthur Lynn--an easy stand-in for Jimmy Gnecco, a similar "violent love" as evidenced in Diet Mtn Dew, and they actually dated. However, songs about addiction, leaving him because he couldn't be responsible ("Pawn Shop Blues") can't be about him because Lizzy Grant and the Phenomena was active throughout 2007, well after PSB was written. Although he probably had some underground Brooklyn fame, he's not our Z-lister.

- Reeve Carney--featured in videos and photo shoots but he's just vanilla enough to be indistinguishable in any of her songs.

- Nick Fowler--no concrete evidence but he has posted early photos of her and was in the same Arthur Lynn/Jimmy Gnecco/Reeve Carney scene as her. ALSO consider "A Star for Nick".

- Mike Mizrahi is a definite. She leaves him for trying to navigate her career and then wants him back once he has another woman. He played video games lots.

POST-BTD

- A fling with Bradley Soileau

- Someone from the above list returning "Radio" style

- Cheating on and then living happily in poetic bliss with Barrie

Anyone see any overlap? Consider our "irresponsible addict" songs such as Us Against the World, Velvet Crowbar, You & Me, and Pawn Shop Blues.

crying @ lana possibly being a stage five clinger/stalker

celebrities, they're just like us  :oprah:

If its one phobia i have its Stage 5 Clingers bbbuuutt I wouldnt mind lana being a lil stage 5 clingy with me :agree2:

Live Forever Golden Grill.

Hopefully this isn't too late, but going back to what SitarHero was mentioning about how there are a lot of songs that refer to Jimmy and how Lana and Jimmy might've not been in a relationship; in Hundred Dollar Bill she sings, "I like 'em tough and mean, Jim is the worst that I've ever seen." I think Lana used to like guys that might've been tough (maybe like those biker dudes in the Ride video, haha) and she would think that when guys were mean to her, that was how they show affection to her. I guess Jimmy wasn't interested in Lana and how he would "treat her mean", she mistook that for mutual flirtation and she hasn't seen/met a guy that she liked that "treated her mean" as worst as Jimmy. 

And at the end of HDB, the harmonies are "I need your love" and if Lana had been infatuated/in love with Jimmy at the time, that was probably how she felt and yeah.