Sitar

LANALYSIS: Relating Songs To Known/Assumed Relationships

wouldn't be funny if Lana was this very quite person who didn't do any of the things she sings about. And we (me included) lost time here making all those analysis....Imagine if she just met some wild people while in rehab and her songs are about those people THEIR stories. And in reallity she was just shy and weird started to drink a lot and got to rehab. That's all there is to Lana.  Imagine if she lived those stories through other people.  Would be biographical just not auto.

haha I thought about this before when I saw a magazine article that described "Lana Del Rey" as a creation thought up by Lizzy Grant and that the whole hollywood sad 2 d core ~shy~ girl/nervous on the stage bit was a concept created by industry people and lana herself 2 appeal 2 a certain audience.  I mean you think of it- she has all these different facets and the fact that she was trying to choose between Lana Del Rey and Lana Rey Del Mar and using multiple myspaces (possibly at the same time??) for these different names with arguably different ~personalities~.. I mean she's had so many other stage names she's tried. And we've already discussed how she may have had the Interscope record deal for longer than people think.. possibly thinking of how to market her- she's not theatrical in the Gaga way, she's not bubblegum pop like Britney. I do wonder about her relationship with Van Wilson- if something bad happened- I've thought that he could be behind the meaning of 'Noir' - he was A&R for her at one point- maybe his idea for her career and image was different from hers? 

"it's real and it's fake.. the good stuff included" - lana del rey (completely butchered this quote, but it's something along these lines)

Blurring the lines between real and the fake.

It makes me think back to a comment written by one of her old producers, I believe it was. How one day she was Lizzy Grant (May Jailer) singing folks-esque tunes with her acoustic guitar and the next thing he knew she had cut her hair real short and had completely changed her sound. V Interesting stuff

Also, Lana and Reeve seem to be on really good terms. There was the nice tweet they shared and someone asked her in an interview from 2011 who would be her Lee Hazelwood to her Nancy Sinatra, and  she said "Reeve Carney" And Chuck has been hanging out w/ him. Also, he was supposed to or is playing Jeff Buckley in a biopic. I read another artist's blog who was deeply affected by JB's music, and talked about how Lizzy Grant really loved him too.  Jimmy Gnecco was good friends with JB, shortly before he died.

6818018531_4afa1b4c5b.jpg

(Lana's hands)

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

I'm getting real convoluted in this update, doing some golden grill stuff and everything. Most confusing songs in her repertoire: Cola and Back to tha Basics. They're killing me. But I have a question: Do you think K was addicted to drugs? Do you think he was a drug dealer or part of the mafia? The second part is seeming more plausible to me...even if he was way low down, doing grunt work or just plain not sitting in a fancy suit and smoking cigars. I don't know. My mind is trying separate things here.

I'm getting real convoluted in this update, doing some golden grill stuff and everything. Most confusing songs in her repertoire: Cola and Back to tha Basics. They're killing me. But I have a question: Do you think K was addicted to drugs? Do you think he was a drug dealer or part of the mafia? The second part is seeming more plausible to me...even if he was way low down, doing grunt work or just plain not sitting in a fancy suit and smoking cigars. I don't know. My mind is trying separate things here.

I think he may have been a dealer and wasn't necessarily addicted to drugs (I imagine that it would be hard to be addicted to drugs and then sell them and not being to able to just snort/smoke/shoot all of that shit right up) but hitting them pretty hard. 

She probably put the mafia hints in because it just sounds cool.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

I don't think he was addicted to drugs, but I think he probably was part of the dealing. The imagery I have on my mind about him is someone just a few years older than Lana, too, not an old man.

So I've been thinking that Kill Kill may not be about an actual man, but alcohol. I feel like it's Lana talking to Chuck about her addiction and her leaving.

Bound up the stairs
I'm in the shower
Do you know I am going to leave you?
Do you know I am going to leave you?

Lana shortly before she leaves for boarding school, talking to Chuck

I'm in love with a dying man
I'm lin love lying in the sand
I have done everything I can

The dying man is the alcohol, she's tried to stop drinking but she can't.

Tell me about Ray and his girl
Do I know, Ray is going to meet you?
Love you, I do
Stay here, I won't
As stars fade from your eyes

Maybe Ray was Chuck's boyfriend? Haven't we seen something about Lana and Chuck talking about Ray? Maybe it's some kind of inside joke, maybe Chuck had a crush on him or something.

One, two, make it fun
Don't trust anyone

Advice for Chuck or Lana herself

What do you think of this theory? I just think the lyrics are so incredibly vague that I don't think the dying man actually is a man.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

I like it (the Chuck theory) but I don't think she's talking to her sister; I think she's talking (in her mind) to her depressed lover who's "dying" in the sense of having given up on life. She's tried to pull him out of it, but now he's dragging her down with him, and she can't let him destroy her too.

But you're right, it's vague enough that it lends itself to many interpretations. I guess we can take from it what we want.

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

I think Lana let's her imagination flow a lot Sitar. She is the one that likes mafia style a Dangerous girl. She said in a interview herself that the American Dream is dead. That the mafia and politics and everything is mixed up to the point that is a new american dream. I think he probably was a paper boy, a guy who sold drugs around the area he lived.  For some reason something went wrong for him. Can happen. In the moment you start selling them you gonna be out with several cuckoo's nest people around you. He didn't necessarily need to be in the mafia or a real drug dealer to get cought up in the game. I think that he probably did some drugs but was not an addicted. I also think he wasn't  old he was just a couple years older than her. In Gangsta Boy and some other songs you can see a connection that she probably knew him since her teens. I also think Lana writes a lot about other people stories, she mix those stories in her songs. People she end meeting among her life. I take everything Lana says with a bit of salt but she said that she ends up writing about the same guy and that her songs are about people in her life. You are a writer yourself do you think is possible not to write about other people experiences as well? Specially someone like her that end up in rehab. During her time there she probably got close to many people, hear their stories and some probably didn't have pretty stories to tell. The way she talks about the place she went doesn't seem like those fantasy places celebrities go to that look more like spas. Seems to be a real Rehab with people from the real world that end up there for reasons that are not really funny fairy tales. I think Lana writes a lot about herself but I also think she writes about her own time, her generation, like an outsider looking what is happening around her. After all Jimmy, Reeve and Barrie look far away from being a gangstar don't they? I also think she writes a lot about alcohol, her love for alcohol and the fact that she can't have it anymore. like a lost love or lover

glgcDdT.gif

I think it's pretty evident that Cola is about Barrie, and not about any of her past lovers. What gives it away is, "don't treat me ruff, treat me really nice-ies." A bulk of her old songs, she sings about wanting to be treated badly and roughly. In reality, Lana wants a real relationship. While she may have matured, her pussy will always taste like pepsi cola, as in, all the elements of her past that make up the Lana Del Rey DNA (american flags, white trash, motels, streamers, fake nails, american kitsch) will always be part of her.

I really love this thread. It's really inspirational and helps me with ideas for my own writing (fiction novels)

sometimes i just sit here and read all of it. though this is all speculation i really appreciaite this world lana has created for us.

Side note (completley off topic) I know her look may be manufatured but when people say  EVERYTHING about her is manufactured it really irks me. Despite the big orcherstras and all the cinematics lana's lyrics haven't really changed lyrically and she still tells the same stories..

I LOVE U ALL

I really love this thread. It's really inspirational and helps me with ideas for my own writing (fiction novels)

sometimes i just sit here and read all of it. though this is all speculation i really appreciaite this world lana has created for us.

Side note (completley off topic) I know her look may be manufatured but when people say  EVERYTHING about her is manufactured it really irks me. Despite the big orcherstras and all the cinematics lana's lyrics haven't really changed lyrically and she still tells the same stories..

I LOVE U ALL

My impact :wipe:

Nah that's cool to hear! Writing is like my main past-time when school isn't involved and that can really interfere with the analysis stuff sometimes :eek: I come up with such overwrought crazy theories that it's kinda like..."Well that can't possibly be, but I can twist this shit for myself."

I need the interview where she discusses meeting a small-time celebrity in rehab bad. I'm sure rehab isn't the right word for what she was in, too, but that's all the more reason I need it :crying: I've read it before, it exists :crying:

Guest frankee

I need the interview where she discusses meeting a small-time celebrity in rehab bad. I'm sure rehab isn't the right word for what she was in, too, but that's all the more reason I need it :crying: I've read it before, it exists :crying:

This one?

*slinks away*

:creep:

After reading a lot of this thread I need to rest my brain for a while. So much information and so many interesting interpretations. I am so happy to have found this board. Will read the rest tomorrow.

stkRUDM.jpg