lflflflflflflflflflf

Ultraviolence - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?  

1,051 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?

• Cruel World
    • Ultraviolence
    • Shades Of Cool
    • Brooklyn Baby
    • West Coast
    • Sad Girl
    • Pretty When You Cry
    • Money Power Glory
    • Fucked My Way Up To The Top
    • Old Money
    • The Other Woman
    • Black Beauty
    • Guns and Roses
    • Florida Kilos
    • Is This Happiness
    • Flipside

jtvikSU.png

LOL @ the time stamp. Bob was creeping!

Also, maybe FMWTTT was intentioned for Lorde as is "Fuck you and your views on feminism, I'm writing a song about sleeping my way to success, just because I CAN! And that's feminism, biotch." 

On my 4th listen through....so more will grow on me i'm sure.......but i think the album is pretty great minus a couple slumps...

1. Cruel World

Good opener for the album, good taste of whats to come, it sets the mood well. Not sure it needs to be over 6 minutes long but i really like it. Reminds me of being at Woodstock high on weed.

2. Ultraviolence

Its catchy, i like it, but i don't love it. Obvious single though, one of only a couple songs i could hear played on radio.

3. Shades of Cool

Nice track, need to be in the mood for it, but when i am i like it. The guitar solo is amazing.

4. Brooklyn Baby

Amazing, love the haunting verses and Barries addition at the end is perfect.

5. West Coast

I love it. Did from day one. Now that i've heard the whole album i can see why it was chosen as the first single, it's a bit of everything from the album sound wise.

6. Sad Girl

I like it, it will grow on me more i'm sure but i enjoy it so far. Makes me want to take up smoking.

7. Pretty When You Cry

Amazing, love this so much, a favourite from the album, again the guitar is everything.

8. Money Power Glory

Pretty good, will end up loving it i'm sure, single maybe???

9. Fucked My Way To The Top

Very catchy, love the chorus and bridge.

10. Old Money

So, so beautiful, very cinematic, love the vocals and stripped production. I love it.

11. The Other Woman

Reminds me so much of old skool 50's music, very Twin Peaks, the production is great on it, feels authentic, but its very much a mood song, really can;t see myself playing this outside of when i play the album in full, but its cool for what it is, Grandmas will love it, it will remind them of their dead husbands and stuff. I do think Black Beauty should have closed the album and this should have been a bonus.

12. Black Beauty

Stunning. Loved the demo, love the album version even more, it's really a gorgeous song, cant believe it didn't make the standard track listing.

13. Guns and Roses

I think i need to hear it more to make a proper opinion. Its pretty average though, flat chorus, but i like the verses and i love the drum beat and last portion of the album, its ends well. Needs more time but i think it will grow on me.

14. Florida Kilos

no.not on this album Lana. its kinda cute. but no.

My current ratings after about 4-5 listens:

1. Cruel World - 8/10
  2. Ultraviolence - 9/10
  3. Shades of Cool - 9/10
  4. Brooklyn Baby - 10/10
  5. West Coast - 10/10
  6. Sad Girl - 8/10
  7. Pretty When You Cry - 8/10
  8. Money Power Glory - 9/10
  9. Fucked My Way Up to the Top - 9/10
  10. Old Money - 10/10
  11. The Other Woman - 8/10
  12. Black Beauty - 10/10
  13. Guns and Roses - 8/10
  14. Florida Kilos - 8/10

Also, maybe FMWTTT was intentioned for Lorde as is "Fuck you and your views on feminism, I'm writing a song about sleeping my way to success, just because I CAN! And that's feminism, biotch."

This interpretation is perfect.

I still don't know what did Lorde say about Lana... Was it when she said Lana sings about hollow opulent things (Hamptons, Bugatti Veyron, etc)?

All Lorde said was something about liking her music but not relating to it because all Lana sings about is cars and glamor and Lorde is a teenager who is all dark and agonized by her homework and new school shoes and stuff. It wasn't even a diss, just a critique on Lanas lyrics. It was really no big deal.

What I remember Lorde saying is that she heard the lyrics "I'm nothing without you" and thought it was a bad message to be sending to girls. People are going to hear a quote like that and think Lorde is in the right and standing up for feminism. But contextually, "Without You" isn't saying "a woman is nothing without a man" but more like "fame and success means nothing without love."

I hope FMWUTTT is about Lorde. She's a pretentious teenager who needs to stop running her mouth. 

What I remember Lorde saying is that she heard the lyrics "I'm nothing without you" and thought it was a bad message to be sending to girls.

Really? good lord, it's a love song for fucks sake, may as well get rid of 70% of songs out there if she really has issues with those lyrics.

On my 4th listen through....so more will grow on me i'm sure.......but i think the album is pretty great minus a couple slumps...

1. Cruel World

Good opener for the album, good taste of whats to come, it sets the mood well. Not sure it needs to be over 6 minutes long but i really like it. Reminds me of being at Woodstock high on weed.

2. Ultraviolence

Its catchy, i like it, but i don't love it. Obvious single though, one of only a couple songs i could hear played on radio.

3. Shades of Cool

Nice track, need to be in the mood for it, but when i am i like it. The guitar solo is amazing.

4. Brooklyn Baby

Amazing, love the haunting verses and Barries addition at the end is perfect.

5. West Coast

I love it. Did from day one. Now that i've heard the whole album i can see why it was chosen as the first single, it's a bit of everything from the album sound wise.

6. Sad Girl

I like it, it will grow on me more i'm sure but i enjoy it so far. Makes me want to take up smoking.

7. Pretty When You Cry

Amazing, love this so much, a favourite from the album, again the guitar is everything.

8. Money Power Glory

Pretty good, will end up loving it i'm sure, single maybe???

9. Fucked My Way To The Top

Very catchy, love the chorus and bridge.

10. Old Money

So, so beautiful, very cinematic, love the vocals and stripped production. I love it.

11. The Other Woman

Reminds me so much of old skool 50's music, very Twin Peaks, the production is great on it, feels authentic, but its very much a mood song, really can;t see myself playing this outside of when i play the album in full, but its cool for what it is, Grandmas will love it, it will remind them of their dead husbands and stuff. I do think Black Beauty should have closed the album and this should have been a bonus.

12. Black Beauty

Stunning. Loved the demo, love the album version even more, it's really a gorgeous song, cant believe it didn't make the standard track listing.

13. Guns and Roses

I think i need to hear it more to make a proper opinion. Its pretty average though, flat chorus, but i like the verses and i love the drum beat and last portion of the album, its ends well. Needs more time but i think it will grow on me.

14. Florida Kilos

I really like everything you said here, and i agree with a lot of it.

Sad Girl makes me want to smoke cigarettes while sitting in a huge japanese garden. The kind you only see in the movies.

I could see it being Lorde because they were both hailed as alt queens but Lorde wasn't "tested" like Lana was because she was just widely accepted. You got nothing, I got tested / And I passed, yes.

Either way, the Lorde's power to make em seethe :lordejesus:

I could see it being Lorde because they were both hailed as alt queens but Lorde wasn't "tested" like Lana was because she was just widely accepted. You got nothing, I got tested / And I passed, yes.

Either way, the Lorde's power to make em seethe :lordejesus:

Also the "Life is awesome/I confess" makes me think of Lorde's comment about how Lana's lyrics weren't relatable because she sings about fancy cars and diamonds while Lorde and her friends "couldn't afford to pay for a taxi."

"Money, Power, Glory" even sounds like it's riffing on Lorde's "Glory and Gore," she is def. wielding daggers

Yeah, seems like a clarification of her opinion on money and excess, for those who took BTD's glamour too literally. No doubt sparked by the argument Lorde started.

This interpretation is perfect.

Agreed. It's perfect. 

14. Florida Kilos

I like Florida Kilos. It gives me a warm feeling that the OG Lizzy G voice made it into a major release. 

What I remember Lorde saying is that she heard the lyrics "I'm nothing without you" and thought it was a bad message to be sending to girls. People are going to hear a quote like that and think Lorde is in the right and standing up for feminism. But contextually, "Without You" isn't saying "a woman is nothing without a man" but more like "fame and success means nothing without love."

I hope FMWUTTT is about Lorde. She's a pretentious teenager who needs to stop running her mouth. 

SAME FEELINGS TOWARDS LORDE!!!

I feel as if it is about her. Lorde said that about people who are in the top of the music industry. She said "Drake, Nicki Minaj, and Lana Del Rey's music arent relatable." Maybe not to her, but I'm pretty sure Drake raps/sings about love and how it feels to be heartbroken, Nicki raps about being hurt and how it feels to be a woman(or something to just dance to), and Lana tells us stories, and lots of the times she has songs that have deeper meanings(with songs that dont but they sound great.)

They also tell come up and how difficult things were stories not always bragging.

Honestly I think Lorde is overrated, and annoying.

I completely agree with you......Lorde needs to stop running her mouth,,,, in order to achieve success you don't need to bring down other artists.

I really think LordE is deaf cuz Lana sings "I've nothing without you" and not "I'm nothing without you"

Just goes to show how jealous and insecure Lorde is of Lana ,,She purposely misinterpreted Lana's lyrics to turn people against her.

I love this album as the standard version.

The deluxe needs to be deleted and BB needs to be replaced with the Demo.

I'm sorry the new version is cute and all with drums but it devoids of any emotions from the demo.

The demo version is so sad but in a delicate and beautiful way. The album version is very showy but with no substance. plus her voice blurred out with loud instrumentals which kinda pissed me off esp during the chorus.

This album was always going to divide the fan base, that was clear from when we heard West Coast for the first time; it managed to do that.

Personally, I'm on the "IT'S FUCKING AMAZING" side

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

"Fuck you and your views on feminism, I'm writing a song about sleeping my way to success, just because I CAN! And that's feminism, biotch."

That's not feminism lel, you sound like you know what feminism means as much as Perry, Gaga, Taylor, Gomez and Lana, it's just another massive shout out for 'I'm thick as fuck and just reinforcing that for ya' lmao