Jared

Ultraviolence Reviews: 74 Metascore (DISCUSS REVIEWS ONLY)

Still waiting for the fucking rolling stone review...

Whats seems a little tragic is that Lana said in that recent interview that she "knows whats coming" or something and she meant that the critics are gonna bash her, so she's not even gonna read all the positive reviews and anyway probably doesn't give a fuck if they've changed their tune because they criticised her on such a personal level last time she became morbidly depressed (or so she says)

Whats seems a little tragic is that Lana said in that recent interview that she "knows whats coming" or something and she meant that the critics are gonna bash her, so she's not even gonna read all the positive reviews and anyway probably doesn't give a fuck if they've changed their tune because they criticised her on such a personal level last time she became morbidly depressed (or so she says)

Rolling Stone will update on Tuesday.

And I have a feeling that Lana will read them. :P

Rolling Stone will update on Tuesday.

And I have a feeling that Lana will read them. :P

You're probably right, I mean it's obvious she cares what these people think, but someone please tell her to STEER THE FUCK CLEAR of pitchfork, we don't want her to laugh herself to death.

:P

She's reading them, her dad is too lol.

, he talked about the good press.

I personally think Pitchfork will like the album. I don't it'll get in the 8's or 9's, but maybe a solid 7.5. UV has gotten pretty universal acclaim so far, even from people who hated BTD. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/lana-del-rey-ultraviolence-album-review-9535473.html

Independent UK  3/5 (Eligible for Metacritics, they gave BTD 2/5)

And then there are the lyrics. On Born to Die Del Rey’s dead-eyed moll-playing made for some interesting character drama. But here it has nowhere left to run, and the quasi-transgressive mixture of hopeless passivity and coquettish sexuality running through songs such as “Sad Girl” (“I’m a sad girl/ I’m a bad girl”) feels ever more tired and uninspired.

Beyond a second album, what Lana really needs is a second act. 

They praised Cruel World (brilliant song) and West Coast. Gosh, Lana should have made the whole album in this vein. And get rid of lyrics like FMWUTT or MPG.

I personally think Pitchfork will like the album. I don't it'll get in the 8's or 9's, but maybe a solid 7.5. UV has gotten pretty universal acclaim so far, even from people who hated BTD. 

I think Pitchfork will give it 5 - 6/10.   +  negative review from Rolling Stones.    Metascore will fall down to 60-70

If Lindsay is reviewing it, Lana will be lucky to get anything over 4. But we all know that Pitchfork is going to give her a bad score no matter what, so why even bother about it?

It's just interesting how male rappers can make racist, homophobic, sexist or any other remark and get free pass for it. They can rap/sing about the most absurd and ridiculous things and barely ever catch flack for it. 

Lana's music can be good as theirs, but she won't get away with it like they do. 

And this oh she's inauthentic, she has stage persona bullshit is still the most ridiculous criticism here. Who is really authentic and genuine? Who doesn't have a stage persona? I understand why some may find Lana's act to be a bit over the top, but come on. When Video Games first came out in 2011, press acted like she was the first musician ever who developed new stage persona and new name. 

If Lindsay is reviewing it, Lana will be lucky to get anything over 4. But we all know that Pitchfork is going to give her a bad score no matter what, so why even bother about it?

It's just interesting how male rappers can make racist, homophobic, sexist or any other remark and get free pass for it. They can rap/sing about the most absurd and ridiculous things and barely ever catch flack for it. 

Lana's music can be good as theirs, but she won't get away with it like they do. 

And this oh she's inauthentic, she has stage persona bullshit is still the most ridiculous criticism here. Who is really authentic and genuine? Who doesn't have a stage persona? I understand why some may find Lana's act to be a bit over the top, but come on. When Video Games first came out in 2011, press acted like she was the first musician ever who developed new stage persona and new name.

Don't think so think she tweeted that 'I want to die' is part of Ultra marketing campaign. Sad thing is ... it probably was.

Don't think so think she tweeted that 'I want to die' is part of Ultra marketing campaign. Sad thing is ... it probably was.

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

Anyway the interview was done months before the UV release. Its more like Interscope is trying to control the damage considering she is really happy in her recent interviews. 

The Norwegian newspaper VG gave Lana 5/6, which is very good. They have consistently given Lana a high score, and they give constructive and good reviews in my opinion. It was a pain in the ass to translate (I'm drunk yo), but I'll give it a try.

"Last time she told us about her past consisting off underage alcoholism and her relationships with older men. Prior to her newest album release she shrugged off the importance of feminism and told us she was more interested in intergalactic expeditions. 

Sheer stupidity, or a conscious and provocative move to gain attention?

Probably both. 

Lana Del Rey carries all off the western decadence and shallowness on her shoulders. And she does so with all the cynical dignity todays popculture has to offer. 

The New York girl has gone from eight producers to one, and kept a couple of her old songwriters. Together they amplified the dark and broad spectered sound from "Born to Die". 

It has become a black and white travel through our time with a poorly hidden "A Clockwork Orange" reference in the album title, accompanied by a couple of new identities. 

The blasé and scrupeless sound that worships the darker, more tenacious side in ultraviolence features honest and not so discreet titles like "Money Power Glory", "Fucked My Way Up to the Top" and "Old Money."

The masochistic comes forward in the title and the opening song, Ultraviolence and Cruel World. And further down the tracks-list, "The Other Woman", is a fragile ballad which in the start can make the singer sound jealous. But in truth it is Del Rey herself that is the other woman. 

The music is pop, draped in mysterious veils and a cool secret agent sounding guitar (wtf, give me a different way to translate this, it is so lame). "Shades of Cool"  is so 007-ish that I'm seriously anticipating her as the next James Bond artist. If that doesn't turn into reality, then I'll get really disappointed. (me toooo, boo Madonna.)

The album as whole can feel more dull and tedious than "Born to Die" (no shit). "Ultraviolence" also lacks tracks with monsterhit potential, like "Video Games" (wtf, West Coast?), but that didn't seem to be the motivation either. 

In truth it seems like they are trying to place Lana Del Rey in this expanded Indie landscape, where she continues to exist as a mix of Film Noir, Nancy Sinatras vocals and Tori Amos' angel of death. 

Does that make her seem like a poser? (lol)

Off course (hipsta sista). 

But who can care less, when the result is so mysteriously delicious (oh yeah)."

1olt2g.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/lana-del-rey-ultraviolence-album-review-9535473.html

Independent UK  3/5 (Eligible for Metacritics, they gave BTD 2/5)

And then there are the lyrics. On Born to Die Del Rey’s dead-eyed moll-playing made for some interesting character drama. But here it has nowhere left to run, and the quasi-transgressive mixture of hopeless passivity and coquettish sexuality running through songs such as “Sad Girl” (“I’m a sad girl/ I’m a bad girl”) feels ever more tired and uninspired.

Beyond a second album, what Lana really needs is a second act. 

They praised Cruel World (brilliant song) and West Coast. Gosh, Lana should have made the whole album in this vein. And get rid of lyrics like FMWUTT or MPG.

They gave BTD 5/5. :ohno: