Jared

Ultraviolence Reviews: 74 Metascore (DISCUSS REVIEWS ONLY)

Why does this matter tho :stareney2:

For me just cause back when Royals was big shit, people were like "Lorde's gonna be so much bigger than Lana Del FLOP. She's the TRUE artist"

I like lorde, but 48% of her fans are annoying jackasses.

I think the writer from Pitchfork reviewing the album is the super feminist woman who gives a negative review to any album by a female that isn't super-empowering and is, you know, telling a story. She'll even say that the music itself is great, but if it is perceived as anti-feminist then it gets a negative. Someone tweet her that article that said Lana is actually a feminist for not being afraid to tell her story the way she wants to.

She's also super shady towards Lana in tweets. Group prayer that she actually isn't the one reviewing it.

Lorde works for Pitchfork?!

Sorry not sorry :oopna:

Also, someone fix the genre for Ultraviolence on Wikipedia. It says pop. -_- It should be alternative rock or chamber rock. Maybe psychedelic rock. A lot of articles mention the shoegaze influence as well. You need to cute a source, but there should be many.

It's so irritating that the album would be called brilliant alternative rock if any male had sung it, but a well-known woman doing so results in the album automatically belonging to the "pop" genre. That needs to be fixed ASAP.

I am not even sure that Pitchfork will even review the album. 

Second of all, even when the magazine allows a known hater to review the album, then it's politics. When they give her the record to write about it, they know what's coming, but they also know that with such a review they will get those clicks on their homepage and that's what in many cases music journalism has come down to. Pitchfork is not immune to this.

The science of the P4K score is that the staff collectively votes on the score, and then the assigned writer reviews it. This is why sometimes a positive review can have a mediocre score, and vice versa. That said, I know some of the P4K writers and they've been snarky on their private Facebooks, so I'm not expecting generosity, open-mindedness, or general humanity from them.  I'm also concerned Maura Johnston is going to write a review for one of her many publications. She's been mocking the new era on her Twitter and seems bitter that other critics are warming to her. The girl-on-girl hate is just too f*cking high school, it's almost South Park-worthy.

It's the classic problem of one member of a minority group having the represent the whole group. People get all mad because the album isn't feminist because Lana is supposed to represent the "artistic, sensitive young woman of 2014" She doesn't do that "well" and..we all look bad I guess? And it upsets music writers, especially younger female ones, because they "want" to be able to go to bat for Lana, but they can't because she isn't playing into their Lena Dunham approved truth, and they don't know how to rationalize liking her, but not all the things she's saying. On the other hand, I think a lot of male music writers do defend Lana for all the wrong reasons...

In short: Crappy numetal albums don't represent every white male musician working today, so why do all female artists need to be homogeneously safe and empowering? Lana's truth isn't Lorde's truth, and yes Fiona Apple is always going to be a better writer than either of them (because that woman was sent down from the lyrical heavens) and everyone needs to read "How to be a fan of problematic things"

tZ7WN4B.gif