Jared

Ultraviolence Reviews: 74 Metascore (DISCUSS REVIEWS ONLY)

Frankly I don't have the same angst regarding the reviews from a couple a days ago. She's divisive and that will never change in her career. Some are just negatively biased about her and there's nothing she or we could do about it (with the recent interviews I'm certain that she cannot do anything about it :creep:). Lana has to toughen up a bit and gain more confidence in her work, she has an audience that other artists never dreamed of, she sales well and some of the critics appreciate her. At this point we have to be reasonable, It's not that all of the critics are hating on her now. There will be some petty reviews (Jim Farber) but most of the reviews I read so far are balanced and focusing on her music. I feel, from what I listened so far (I don't have the album yet, my preorder it's coming June 16th), that Ultraviolence it's a more cohesive album than BTD with better lyrics overall and definitely better production for my liking. My favorite song from BTD, OTTR, it's plagued by those awful screams that are to loud and to persistent throughout. That said, there is no way that Ultraviolence will have an over 80 score on MC (I cannot say yet if the album deserves to be universally acclaimed or not). I will happy if the MC score will stay over 70 because I think that Ultraviolence it's a better album sonically and lyrically than BTD. I was disappointed by the Independent review I think that they negatively compensated for the fangirling on BTD.

Kitty Empire 3/5

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jun/15/ultraviolence-review-lana-del-ray-more-same

Ultraviolence review: Lana Del Ray delivers more of the same

When navigating the shifting shallows that form the Lana Del Reyproject, it helps to remember that all pop is a fiction. Lana Del Rey – as distinct from her alter ego, Elizabeth Grant – is a character, the socialite gone wrong. Blessed with moneyed roots and a good orthodontist, the "gangsta Nancy Sinatra" chooses the more dissolute path of bad men and great parties with detours to trailer parks. Del Rey sang about these bittersweet compromises on the massive, 7m-selling Born to Die in a breathy, opiated way; a detached but often trenchant observer of her own fall.

Buy it from amazon-factbox.gif
  1. Buy the CD
  2. Download as MP3
  3. Ultraviolence.jpg
  4. Lana Del Rey
  5. Ultraviolence
  6. Polydor Group
  7. 2014
  1. Tell us what you think:Rate and review this album

If you were looking for role models in her follow up, you would be advised to look away. She isno feminist, Del Rey, or a particularly deep thinker, although she is an accomplished vocalist, visualist, dramaturge and scene-setter. Tropico, Del Rey's between-album amuse-bouche, was a short film in which Adam and Eve land up in contemporary LA in a baffling riot of imagery. But as a writer, Del Rey could not imagine Eve as anything other than a virgin who becomes a pole dancer.

"He hit me and it felt like a kiss," she quotes the Crystals on the title track, a moll numbed to the pain, "filled with poison and blessed with beauty and rage." She is – yes – pretty when she cries, avers Pretty When You Cry. "I'm a sad girl/ I'm a bad girl," muses a mistress on Sad Girl. By Money Power Glory, Del Rey is finally rousing herself from her alluring sprawl on the poolside chaise longue to demand something other than a cad's appreciation. "I wanna take them for all that they got," she reveals, adding the double-crossing minx to her list of antediluvian female tropes.

So no new roles for women here. The title is exceptionally problematic. If, however, we can cope with the idea that Del Rey's second album is about a slumming deb who moves out to California, then it delivers mightily on that premise. The opening track, Cruel World, may overstay its welcome slightly at six-plus minutes, but it sets the scene: guitars chime sonorously, a relationship is over and Del Rey is multitracking Mazzy Star and Nico – cooing, soaring and exuding. "Get a little bit of bourbon in ya/ Go a little bit suburban and go crazy," she intones, as drums echo around her.

Del Rey may continue to say "wit' you" rather than "with you", but if anything, UV sounds less contemporary than its predecessor, turning down the urban references and turning up the orchestral noir. The aforementioned Sad Girl is a jazz number, a genre to which Del Rey's voice is fabulously suited. Much has recently been written aboutBrooklyn Baby, her portrait of a sulky hipster that could be either homage or take-down: it really is hard to tell. "My boyfriend's in the band/ I get high on hydroponic weed," she pouts.

The bad news is that the most accomplished track from Ultraviolencehas been out for some time. The engaging West Coast improves on every hearing, a clever two-in-one track rich with detail, rhythm, atmospherics and class. It's hard to gauge the input of producer Dan "Black Keys" Auerbach here, a man more skilled at focusing energy rather than diffusing it. He's working against type, as Ultraviolenceprefers to glide and swoop and reverberate around an idea rather than ramming it home. Even though there are half-a-dozen high points here, the stylistic shifts that kept Born to Die complicated are missing. The end result is stylish and cogent but, as a consequence, perhaps a teensy bit samey.

These women are jokes. The credibility of their work is zero when they are so passionately interested in personal bashing of reviewed artists. Just look at their twitters, their hate towards Lana is real.  :facepalm:

"She is no feminist or particularly deep thinker."

Wow...

I can't even deal with these idiots anymore.  :rollin:  :judgingu: Don't even care about reviews anymore, just going to enjoy it.  :whatever: 

god-damn.png

"Musik Express" (one of the better known music mags in Germany) gave UV a 4/5:

http://www.musikexpress.de/reviews/alben/article592222/lana-del-rey-ultraviolence.html

Quite a lot of the German reviews (which are mostly positive) are critizising the lyrics which according to them are too repetitive.

This thread is to discuss ALREADY PUBLISHED REVIEWS, not reviewers. If I see so much as a link to a reviewer's personal twitter, I will delete this thread again so fast your head will spin.

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…

Pitchfork (7.1): http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/19449-lana-del-rey-ultraviolence/

PrettyMuchAmazing (A-): http://prettymuchamazing.com/reviews/lana-del-rey-ultraviolence

---

Pitchfork's review is great minus a couple of things. I think people don't realize how much is true from the emotion and stories of the Lana "character." No one knows Lana well enough to judge her authenticity and it really doesn't affect the quality of her musical output. And he takes the BrBy lyrics a little too seriously. I wouldn't call it camp, but a realistic balance of pain, beauty, and humor. Lana's music reflects all elements of everyday life.

Wow, Pitchfork being decent.

However in the UV review they do say "the frequently terrible, Born To Die"..............sigh. 

As for reviewers talking about how the album isn't "feminist", why does it need to be?.............the album is about loneliness, love, isolation, if the album was all about feminism and some terrible attempt at sending a message, i would understand the criticism, but its not about that, and it doesn't even try to be about that, so why are people playing the album and being disappointing by a theme that isn't even meant to be apart of the album? it's weird, i;'m just not getting the connection between the two as a useful way to critique the record.

Does it all fall down to the title track? do people not get its a romanticized view of a relationship, its not supposed to have a social message or be a play by play of what Lana is like when shes sitting at home with Barry and he throws her down on the floor. 

I really think her style and the way she writes truth amongst fantasy and escapism is really lost on people sometimes. At least Pitchfork seem to get it, whether they like her music or not, they get the way she delivers her whole "schtick", they point it out well in the UV review. There's a truth to her work, they're honest words, but there is a sense of character behind how she sends out her work, its really not hard to understand. 

Even though i love Carmen, i do think this part of Pitch;s review is spot on....

Gone are annoying trifles like Born to Die’s “Carmen” and “Diet Mountain Dew”; in their place are slow, atmospheric songs filled with theatrical melancholy and a parade of women in trouble who mourn for men who treat them badly yet somehow remain irresistible. The lyrics are studded with her trademark iconography: “he hit me and it felt like a kiss”; “the sun also rises”; “talking about my generation”; a reference to “Sunset and Vine” and another to “strange weather.” But here she’s found the perfect musical vehicle for her vision.Ultraviolence sounds tragic and beautiful—darkly-shaded ballads are what she was created to make, and this album is nothing but, a Concept Album from a Concept Human.

Derek's review for The 405 is up. 3/10

http://www.thefourohfive.com/review/article/lana-del-rey-ultraviolence-140

This would be the third negative review from The 405 to ever go up on MetaCritic.

This is gonna drag it dooooown! But whatever, we love it, besides, it sounds like once again the reviewer is talking more about her than the music itself.

tumblr_ni9eu5I7Qh1qzmb8eo5_500.png

I LOL'D

I read the full thing. It mentions 1 song from the album by name and that is Shades of Cool. It mentions the music a total of twice. The mention above, and when quoting the lyrics of Sad Girl. I was rolling my eyes when this douche starting talking about "songwriters for hire Rick Nowels and Dan Heath". This isn't a review, it's trash.