Jared

Ultraviolence Reviews: 74 Metascore (DISCUSS REVIEWS ONLY)

Derek's review for The 405 is up. 3/10

http://www.thefourohfive.com/review/article/lana-del-rey-ultraviolence-140

This would be the third negative review from The 405 to ever go up on MetaCritic.

It's hard to remember a more hateful review regarding Lana. I saw a twitter message of his some months ago when this guy said that he doesn't know which album will hate more Lana Del Rey's or The Black Keys.  :toofunny:   :toofunny:   :toofunny:

It's hard to remember a more hateful review regarding Lana. I saw a twitter message of his some months ago when this guy said that he doesn't know which album will hate more Lana Del Rey's or The Black Keys.  :toofunny:   :toofunny:   :toofunny:

I wish there was a screenshot of that too. 

I want to know where his review of UV is. Because that was just a critique of Lana Del Rey, the person.

I want to know where his review of UV is. Because that was just a critique of Lana Del Rey, the person.

It's just tasteless. I really doubt it matters whether or not he was already partial against Lana prior to the review. My gripe is that his review wasn't even up yet, and he couldn't be bothered updating his research, which would have given him a little more insight to the personal aspects behind the songs. I think this is the most candid and forthright Lana's been in her interviews, and it hasn't been taken into account. All that's been taken into account was the "I want to die" statement from The Guardian interview (which, Lana had cleared the air about in a later interview, for his information,) and it was used in the review to assert that all UV was, was a case of boo-hoo-wah-wahs and minimal substance.

Which is bullshit. Overall it just seems really biased to me, but if that's how he feels, whatever. At least he didn't make fun of her looks like he did in the tweet about the West Coast video. I don't care that he gave it a 3, even if I do think it is a major abomination and was most likely done just to piss fans off (since he did post a link to LanaBoards and tagged 405 in it saying he's being trolled.)

I care that he had more to say about Lana as an individual and the songs in BTD than he did about UV...which contradicts what the review is supposed to be about. I kinda expected to, I don't know, actually read about UV if I was going to click on a 3/10 review. Still would've been nice to hear more about the rest of the tracks, it just sounds to me like he aimed to get the general idea in the first few tracks and based it from there.

Nothing about the sarcastic tones Lana confidently states are being used in songs like Brooklyn Baby, MPG, and Fucked My Way Up To The Top; nothing about how the song that resonates within her the most and she considers the concluding track (before any of the deluxe tracks for that matter,) is actually the cover of The Other Woman. Nothing about how SOC (aside from a brief mentioning) and Black Beauty especially seem to be consistent with Lana's statements in other interviews how hers and Barrie's relationship has an interesting dynamic because of how dark he is.

Nothing about the deliberate keeping of the original lead vocals in Pretty When You Cry because "if you were at the studio when I was singing that song, you'd understand." Just really felt like I did not hear about what Derek thinks of UV, just what Derek thinks of Lana, BTD and her past and why he writes UV off as inauthentic because of those pretenses.

Anyway.

I am trying to avoid the reviews just because some of the negative ones are just bullshitting and rehashing BTD criticisms in regards to authenticity, and all the negative ones really do not care. But I am very delighted to see that a lot of the reviewers have praised UV highly, and a fair amount of them have owned up to judging her too soon because of BTD. Very happy for all of this happening.

I have the screenshots but I can't post them, maybe someone could explain me how to post it

One of the other main editors from 405 is clearly trying to provoke the fan base for click-bait. I won't post the twitter to encourage trolling, but it is quite disgusting and I hope that someone reports Derek in particular. 

One of the other main editors from 405 is clearly trying to provoke the fan base for click-bait. I won't post the twitter to encourage trolling, but it is quite disgusting and I hope that someone reports Derek in particular. 

Where can be reported?

Reviews that MetaCritic is yet to add:

Pretty Much Amazing - 91
All Music - 80
PopMatters - 80
LA Times - 75
Pitchfork - 71
Drowned In Sound - 70
The Independent - 60
The Observer - 60
The 405 - 30

Should end up around 74. 

To look forward to:

Billboard-They have been extremely positive towards Lana (see Coachella review)

Consequence of Sound-LDRO said it was highly positive

Boston Globe-Reviewer said UV was "staggeringly good" and that he was "awestruck" on Twitter.

Rolling Stone-Will probably be lukewarm at best.

New York Times-Could be extremely positive based upon interview (unless a completely different writer is used)

Tiny Mix Tapes (infamously gave BTD a score of 0)

Where can be reported?

By contacting Metacritic's editorial email(editorial@metacritic.com). Probably a waste of time dealing with The 405's contact, judging by the baiting on their various Twitter accounts. That reviewer also works for DIY and Drowned in Sound.

I'm completely fine with other negative reviews (as I was with BTD and Paradise) but the personal insults and decided negativity long before even listening to the album is really unethical on the part of this "journalist." 

Yeah, I noticed that too. They clearly want to cause some buzz with that review to attract more clicks. Disgusting

Derek's review for The 405 is up. 3/10

http://www.thefourohfive.com/review/article/lana-del-rey-ultraviolence-140

This would be the third negative review from The 405 to ever go up on MetaCritic.

It sounds like this guy didn't even really listen to the album.  A review like this one could have been written a year ago, with a small update right before the album came out in order to include the title, "Shades of Cool", "bad /sad girl" and a couple of other details.  Perhaps he had the record on in the background while he put together the bad review he already had planned.  Whatever he did, his main description of the album is it having  a "big band feel",  which is something everyone else seems not to notice.  In any case, Lana's music is simply different than what most artists are putting out nowadays, and even some of her biggest fans - like myself - have to listen to some of her tracks several times to appreciate and enjoy the unconventional way some of her songs were put together.   The tempo slowdown for the chorus of "West Coast" and the guitar solo in "Shades of Cool" are both unexpected, and one probably has to listen to them a few times to  "get it".  That is because Lana doesn't sound like anyone else, something the reviewer would notice if he actually listened to the record.  For him to quote, "Money is the reason we exist" from "National Anthem",  when "Money, Power, and Glory" is on the album he is supposedly reviewing is an unforgivable error. 

'

I hate how smug that 405 review is, he's not even a very good writer, or maybe his attempts to follow the crowd and criticise Lana have meant him having to abandon his proffesionalism while writing. I mean, for God's sakes: ULTRABORING?

:wtfney:

Fuck the fuck of.

Also, let me correct myself, he's a CRAP writer. He probably just copied and pasted that paragraph about Video Games from his BTD review. Also, "Big band feel"? I swear to God he just read that she recorded with a seven peice band, read the tracklist and went "well, I know enough now, onto the review!" He talks about how Lana's only in it for the money (using a quote from National Anthem... :facepalm:) as if he either didn't listen to or completely misinterpreted "Money, Power, Glory" (and also NA, why the fuck he brought up a song from BTD anyway I have no idea)

I give this review 3/10