Jared

Ultraviolence Reviews: 74 Metascore (DISCUSS REVIEWS ONLY)

To be honest the album is not a masterpiece. It is a guilty pleasure and I enjoy it for the "Hollywood Sadcore" vibe it brings. Lana is not one of the all-time great songwriters, meaning she'll never be a Tori Amos or Brian Wilson. But that's ok, she's more of a visual genius.

To be honest the album is not a masterpiece. It is a guilty pleasure and I enjoy it for the "Hollywood Sadcore" vibe it brings. Lana is not one of the all-time great songwriters, meaning she'll never be a Tori Amos or Brian Wilson. But that's ok, she's more of a visual genius.

Please. There is nothing guilty pleasure-esque about this album and even those who hate(d) her have been forced to acknowledge how incredible it is.

And I think her matured lyricism on this album shows that she is on her way to being one of the great songwriters. 

Metacritic Update:

74 with 27 reviews

To be added:

Spin-80

Mojo-60

Expect Rolling Stone, Filter, CMJ, NY Times, Uncut (:hooker:), The Line of Best Fit, Absolute Punk reviews in the coming days. NY Times usually updates each Tuesday.

I usually don't respond to other people's personal opinions but to call Ultraviolence a "guilty pleasure" is just lame. Between "masterpiece" and "guilty pleasure" it's a big space where you can find great albums and good albums etc. Ultraviolence it's a great album and Lana's voice and her power to convey emotion makes her one of the best. You don't have to hide your love for her music anymore because that is more an unwarranted snobbery after Ultraviolence

I cannot get over her interpretation of The other women >>>> than anything

Please. There is nothing guilty pleasure-esque about this album and even those who hate(d) her have been forced to acknowledge how incredible it is.

And I think her matured lyricism on this album shows that she is on her way to being one of the great songwriters. 

I think it's easy to fall into that because "Cruel World" is so good. Many of the other songs lyrically don't stand up as well. I think if this was trimmed to the best 9 songs like "Paradise", it would be better.

Two more reviews from German media - Spiegel (one of the biggest magazines over here) gives UV a 8.0! The review itself is a bit weid and cliché but hey, they did like the music. :)

http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/musik/neue-alben-lana-del-rey-chrissie-hynde-alexis-taylor-kishi-bashi-a-975639.html

And Plattentests.de gives a 7/10:

http://www.plattentests.de/rezi.php?show=11353

She is still so young. I think she can do much bigger things in the future.

Without the 30 - 40 shit reviews, the album could be around 80. But its still great achievement after the BTD panned era. 

She is still so young. I think she can do much bigger things in the future.

Without the 30 - 40 shit reviews, the album could be around 80. But its still great achievement after the BTD panned era.

A 61 (including the TMT 0) is a panned era? :P