Hundred Dollar Bill

Beach House

days of candy - a masterpiece i literally nearly wrote my dissertation about it but apaz it has nothing to do with history so i couldn't

levitation, beyond love, the traveller, irene, troublemaker, myth, silver soul

What in your opinion is their best song/magnum opus? My main contenders are levitation, days of candy, myth, other people, space song, and childhood (unlikely right? I love this one so much)

For me it's "The Hours", "Used to Be", "Days of Candy", "House on the Hill"

H0bDaqU.gif

What in your opinion is their best song/magnum opus? My main contenders are levitation, days of candy, myth, other people, space song, and childhood (unlikely right? I love this one so much)

untrue! that's actually the only one i can recall from their first album. most unlikely one for me is probably Saturn Song. i could listen to it alll day haha

I think Bloom in general is their magnum opus and probably the magnum opus of dream pop as a genre. The album as a whole is just complete perfection.

This is hard but I think if I had to rank the albums...

Bloom

Depression Cherry

Teen Dream

Beach House

Thank Your Lucky Stars

Devotion

every album is really special to me in some way though and if I just put all their music on shuffle, I don't have to skip anything. Without a doubt my favorite band ever.

H0bDaqU.gif

Bloom

Depression Cherry

Teen Dream

Beach House

Thank Your Lucky Stars

Devotion

every album is really special to me in some way though and if I just put all their music on shuffle, I don't have to skip anything. Without a doubt my favorite band ever.

qorl  :deadbanana: devotion is my favorite

Devotion

Depression Cherry

Teen Dream

Bloom

Thank Your Lucky Stars

Beach House

eerily similar but different!

qorl :deadbanana: devotion is my favorite

Devotion

Depression Cherry

Teen Dream

Bloom

Thank Your Lucky Stars

Beach House

eerily similar but different!

Devotion is so great, don't get me wrong!!! but, it includes some of my least favorites, like "Wedding Bell"... still such a great mood album overall

H0bDaqU.gif

Bloom

Depression Cherry

Teen Dream

Beach House

Thank Your Lucky Stars

Devotion

Agreed 100%

I think I've now listened to all their albums enough to rank them

Depression Cherry

Teen Dream

Bloom

Beach House

Thank Your Lucky Stars

Devotion (idk, this one just seems to drag on longer than the others, unpopular opinion)

basically my ranking.

H0bDaqU.gif

I'm not sure if Teen Dream is my favorite album of theirs, but it is definitely their magnum opus. That album kind of put them on the map and defined their dream pop sound; I also think that every album since (maybe with the exception of TYLS, but even it has its TD moments) has kind of borrowed from Teen Dream in some way. 

14417469274.gif

I'm not sure if Teen Dream is my favorite album of theirs, but it is definitely their magnum opus. That album kind of put them on the map and defined their dream pop sound; I also think that every album since (maybe with the exception of TYLS, but even it has its TD moments) has kind of borrowed from Teen Dream in some way.

Teen Dream certainly brought them further into the public eye than the first two albums, but I think Bloom built upon the sound of TD and is one of the greatest dream pop albums ever, like someone previously said, it's one of the albums that comes to mind when thinking if dream pop. Bloom's drums and added reverb make it the epitome of dream pop.

smile.gif

I don't really think of the albums that were released post-Teen Dream as borrowing from it necessarily. I feel like their sound just sort of naturally evolved from album to album.

H0bDaqU.gif

I really disagree with this. Teen Dream may have been the first time they introduced elements of what has (kind of) become their signature style but like thatsomason said, I think Bloom (and even Depression Cherry) expanded on and really perfected those elements as well as drastically improving the elements that Teen Dream was lacking in. While Teen Dream put them on the map and defined the dream pop genre at the time, I don't think that means its a better record than Bloom, it just means it came first. In my own experiences, I tried getting into Beach House several times before I actually began to like them. Everyone always told me to listen to Teen Dream and nothing ever clicked. It wasn't until I found Bloom (specifically Other People) on my own, randomly on Pandora that I finally understood the hype behind them. I think Bloom is just an a better album across the board, lyrically, vocally, and instrumentally. I think people call Teen Dream the magnum opus of dream pop because when they originally heard it, it was something fresh and new and thus a bit more exciting, but I think Bloom beats it in every way, shape, and form quality wise.