HEARTCORE

Billboard Interview on Big Eyes and Upcoming Album 'Honeymoon'

to be honest I didn't like the whole live recording thing.. Lanas vocals weren't as sharp as they were in btd :/ hopefully she discontinues the live recording for honeymoon . I'm sure she will

I meant a live performance in which I could hear her since the fans are usually so damn loud.

And the live studio recording was far superior and organic, IMO. Her vocals were so incredible on UV and proved that she wasn't a product of Pro Tools.

You can tell me to clean my ears but my problem with UV was that all the songs sounded the same and their was too much lyric repetition ie

"Ultraviolence, ultravioleeeennncccee, ultraviolence, ultravioleeeennncccee"

"I'm pretty when I cry, I'm pretty when I cryyyyyyy, I'm pretty when I cry, I'm pretty when I cryyyyy"

"Is this happiness, is the happpiiinneess, is this happiness, is this happiiinnnesss"

There was much more variation with BTD and I'm not an overly huge fan of the acoustic grainy vocals on UV either.

Can't wait for Honeymoon

You can tell me to clean my ears but my problem with UV was that all the songs sounded the same and their was too much lyric repetition ie

"Ultraviolence, ultravioleeeennncccee, ultraviolence, ultravioleeeennncccee"

"I'm pretty when I cry, I'm pretty when I cryyyyyyy, I'm pretty when I cry, I'm pretty when I cryyyyy"

"Is this happiness, is the happpiiinneess, is this happiness, is this happiiinnnesss"

There was much more variation with BTD and I'm not an overly huge fan of the acoustic grainy vocals on UV either.

Can't wait for Honeymoon

The songs literally did not all sound the same. :facepalm: Just because she repeats a line in a chorus (kind of the point of a chorus) in a few songs doesn't make them all sound alike. The 3 songs you mentioned don't sound alike at all. Old Money doesn't sound like The Other Woman. FMWUTTT doesn't sound like anything on the album. PWYC doesn't sound like anything else. Brooklyn Baby doesn't sound like anything else. West Coast doesn't sound like anything else.

How exactly was there more variation with BTD when the whole album reused the same samples in every song? "HEY HEY HEY" "SHAW" & loon & orchestral strings. UV doesn't do that.

14417469274.gif

Can you elaborate?

"But you are unfixable

I can't break through your walls

'Cause you live in Shades Of Cool

Your heart is unbreakable"

"Well my boyfriend's in a band

He plays guitar while I sing Lou Reed

I got Feathers In My Hair

I get down to Beat poetry

And my jazz collection's rad

I can play most anything

I'm a Brooklyn baby

I'm a Brooklyn baby"

"I can see my sweet boy swaying

He's crazy y Cubano como yo my love

On the balcony and I'm saying

Move baby move baby

I'm in love"

Oh yeah, and Cruel World

"Get my little red party dress on

Everybody knows that I'm a mess I'm crazy

Get a little bit of Bourbon in ya'

Get a little bit suburban then go crazy

'Cause you're young, you're wild, you're free

You're dancing circles around me

You're fucking crazy

You're crazy for me"

And say what you want about Black Beauty, Is This Happiness, Old Money, Ultraviolence, Pretty When You Cry etc. but on the whole they're some of Lana's best lyrical work. I'm actually on your side about repetitive choruses, they bug me too, but saying that UV is lyrically reductive is just plain untrue ESPECIALLY in comparison to some songs from BTD.

"But you are unfixable

I can't break through your walls

'Cause you live in Shades Of Cool

Your heart is unbreakable"

"Well my boyfriend's in a band

He plays guitar while I sing Lou Reed

I got Feathers In My Hair

I get down to Beat poetry

And my jazz collection's rad

I can play most anything

I'm a Brooklyn baby

I'm a Brooklyn baby"

"I can see my sweet boy swaying

He's crazy y Cubano como yo my love

On the balcony and I'm saying

Move baby move baby

I'm in love"

Oh yeah, and Cruel World

"Get my little red party dress on

Everybody knows that I'm a mess I'm crazy

Get a little bit of Bourbon in ya'

Get a little bit suburban then go crazy

'Cause you're young, you're wild, you're free

You're dancing circles around me

You're fucking crazy

You're crazy for me"

And say what you want about Black Beauty, Is This Happiness, Old Money, Ultraviolence, Pretty When You Cry etc. but on the whole they're some of Lana's best lyrical work. I'm actually on your side about repetitive choruses, they bug me too, but saying that UV is lyrically reductive is just plain untrue ESPECIALLY in comparison to some songs from BTD.

For me, the hooks weren't as good lyrically, they were repetitive. I see what you are saying about the verses though. I just preferred the overall sound of BTD and the Paradise Edition over the sound of UV, and would welcome Lana to go back to that sound with Honeymoon.

For me, the hooks weren't as good lyrically, they were repetitive. I see what you are saying about the verses though. I just preferred the overall sound of BTD and the Paradise Edition over the sound of UV, and would welcome Lana to go back to that sound with Honeymoon.

Well In my opinion Lana has improved lyrically since BTD. With Uv she managed to dial it down with the repetitive nature of the lyrical content (as an album, I'll admit that she does seem to be taking more to simple choruses, but the themes of the songs are more unique and I enjoy the melodies as much as ever)

To be honest, I doubt Honeymoon will be a true return to the BTD sound so many of you are longing for. I guess she probably won't make another album like UV for awhile, it must of been quite exhausting releasing all that angst so I imagine this next record will be more mellow in style, but who would want Lana to do something she's done before? Part of what makes her music so diverse is that she doesn't try to recreate the sound of her last albums, she goes whichever direction she feels on a whim.

This thread is starting to remind me of the ARTPOP meltdowns little monsters consistently have on GGD :toofunny:

STOP you guys, UV has great songs on it. And even if there wasn't, we have how much, 150-200 unreleased songs by now? We have lots of excellent material from her and the next one is going to be great too. Gosh, I never knew that people had such problems with the music on UV. I for one adore the album and still listen to it a lot.

How exactly was there more variation with BTD when the whole album reused the same samples in every song? "HEY HEY HEY" "SHAW" & loon & orchestral strings. UV doesn't do that.

It's SING  :teehee:

@@Creyk Absolutely right. The music is the core soul of this entire vision, and the imagery that is created from the music is the structure. Mind (the amazing quality of music Lana puts out) over matter (all this bittersweet but necessary talk about Lana's position.) I really feel like us Lana fans needed to bring up the stanning situations, but it just doesn't seem fair to pit Lana up against those divas when she is obviously even more unique and refreshing. I need to make a post y'all about how fed up I got with little monsters on twitter and all only caring about sales and promo.Please everybody try not to blow Lana's lack of promo (she's still going to shine in the limelight) up to ARTPOP proportions---you will only become more disappointed. And also more distraught for almost no reason whatsoever. Lana knows her creations best and despite how much I want her to succeed in the midst of the pop culture "wars", can't we be certain that Lana's legacy will endure far longer than the hype of now? Cherish more than just the charts people. After all, the most inspiring people in Lana's life didn't slay 24/7 and stay up on the charts---they all needed artistic reevaluations to consistently give us fans the best art and the best music and the most sublime creations possible.

@@Creyk Absolutely right. The music is the core soul of this entire vision, and the imagery that is created from the music is the structure. Mind (the amazing quality of music Lana puts out) over matter (all this bittersweet but necessary talk about Lana's position.) I really feel like us Lana fans needed to bring up the stanning situations, but it just doesn't seem fair to pit Lana up against those divas when she is obviously even more unique and refreshing. I need to make a post y'all about how fed up I got with little monsters on twitter and all only caring about sales and promo.Please everybody try not to blow Lana's lack of promo (she's still going to shine in the limelight) up to ARTPOP proportions---you will only become more disappointed. And also more distraught for almost no reason whatsoever. Lana knows her creations best and despite how much I want her to succeed in the midst of the pop culture "wars", can't we be certain that Lana's legacy will endure far longer than the hype of now? Cherish more than just the charts people. After all, the most inspiring people in Lana's life didn't slay 24/7 and stay up on the charts---they all needed artistic reevaluations to consistently give us fans the best art and the best music and the most sublime creations possible.

You are about to get a storm of likes :mariah: