trayertrash

The Rock/Punk/Metal Heads Thread

i just realized i never shared my first concert experience here :rip:

i went to see Post-Hardcore/Electronicore band Palisades here in New Jersey (at the House of Independents) on Feb 25 2023 | Main setlist

this was their final concert since they were disbanding. they wanted to delve into different projects outside of the band and split as friends. the tickets were high enough in demand that they added a second night for the 26th. i was able to purchase the VIP upgrade

some of the band's posts on my night | one | twothree | (they cleared their IG of everything they posted prior to the show's announcement post

they did a livestream for the first night (you can see me bopping along looking cringe as hell at the front towards the left with a grey hat and white t-shirt)

we laughed, we cried (that tribute -1:03:40- about covid hit, a family member of one of the band members had passed recently before the year started and the singer mentioned he was hospitalized with covid. :crai: ) 

here are the pics i took (including and ugly selfie in the crowd and the photo we each got to take with the band

the singer complimented my shirt, i was so nervous that i only looked at the singer and said 'thank you for doing this' as i left :crai: i cringe thinking about it

i also took a pic of the confetti cannon for some reason

Spoiler

kt98Uvb.jpegSr667Mo.jpeg

wN5mZ29.jpegcH191K7.jpegHG3ebWP.jpeg

A case study: Lanita in extreme metal communities

One topic i find incredibly interesting is when fans of an artist don’t fit the supposed “target demographic” of that artist. The target demographic of Lanas music tends to be boiled down to theys and gays, white girl music, etc. While that may very often be true, I think that narrowing Lanas appeal like that really sells her short. Really, anybody can listen to and become a fan of Lana. Anyone with functioning ears can listen to anything, rather it be pop, rap, country, metal, yodeling waltz polka, etc. It’s up to the individual to determine the meaning of any art via their interpretation. In essay terms, the listener determines their own logos, ecos and pathos for the music they hear. In Lana’s music i’ve found that she has fans in the most unlikely of places. The most bewildering (and often hilarious) example would be fans of Lana within the metal community. By metal, i don’t mean Linkin Park. I mean the loud angry screaming bands in the genres of black metal, death metal, grindcore. Quite possibly the most sonically opposed sounding music compared to Lanas. I’ve seen a few fans of Lana in these communities. Some examples:

“Myke C-Town” is a popular youtuber who has collaborated with big channels TheNeedleDrop and Dead End Hiphop. He has a music channel where he mainly talks about extreme metal. He is a fan of Lanas music and has regarded it well in his reviews. In his Top Albums of 2019 video he ranked NFR the 13th best album of the year:

He also has Ocean Blvd in his 2023 video.

Extreme metal youtuber “CountBlagorath” is relatively popular in the underground scene. He mainly post vinyl collection updates. In one vinyl updates, he shows off Lana records and give an explanation as to liking her music. Skip to 12:30 to hear him talk about Lana, unless you want to hear him talk about GOAT SEMEN for ten minutes

Musician Stéphane “Niege” Paut, most well known for his project Alcest (which i talked about on the page before) said in instagram comments that he listens to and likes Lana. I can’t find it anywhere, but I remember seeing it.

Speaking of instagram, the instagram page for Profound Lore Records, an extreme metal label, follows Lana on instagram. They occasionally comment on her posts, and when they do they get about 10-15 likes :thumb3:. That shows at least some overlap between the communities.

I know theres plenty of other examples out there, but those are the ones i can think of. Speaking from personal experience, I myself would fit this description as well. Lana is the only pop artist i really like. I’ve heard and dabbled into others, but Lana is only one I can truly say i’m a fan of. If i told people in the metal community i’m a fan of Lana, they would probably look at me like i’m a looney toon. Same thing vice versa, i’d imagine most Lana fans would cover their ears hearing most of my favorite music :thumb:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95237ep20gi51lvjl437x

42 minutes ago, X8vinylScratchX said:

A case study: Lanita in extreme metal communities

One topic i find incredibly interesting is when fans of an artist don’t fit the supposed “target demographic” of that artist. The target demographic of Lanas music tends to be boiled down to theys and gays, white girl music, etc. While that may very often be true, I think that narrowing Lanas appeal like that really sells her short. Really, anybody can listen to and become a fan of Lana. Anyone with functioning ears can listen to anything, rather it be pop, rap, country, metal, yodeling waltz polka, etc. It’s up to the individual to determine the meaning of any art via their interpretation. In essay terms, the listener determines their own logos, ecos and pathos for the music they hear. In Lana’s music i’ve found that she has fans in the most unlikely of places. The most bewildering (and often hilarious) example would be fans of Lana within the metal community. By metal, i don’t mean Linkin Park. I mean the loud angry screaming bands in the genres of black metal, death metal, grindcore. Quite possibly the most sonically opposed sounding music compared to Lanas. I’ve seen a few fans of Lana in these communities. Some examples:

“Myke C-Town” is a popular youtuber who has collaborated with big channels TheNeedleDrop and Dead End Hiphop. He has a music channel where he mainly talks about extreme metal. He is a fan of Lanas music and has regarded it well in his reviews. In His In his Top Albums of 2019 video he ranked NFR the 13th best album of the year:

He also has Ocean Blvd in his 2023 video.

Extreme metal youtuber “CountBlagorath” is relatively popular in the underground scene. He mainly post vinyl collection updates. In one vinyl updates, he shows off Lana records and give an explanation as to liking her music. Skip to 12:30 to hear him talk about Lana, unless you want to hear him talk about GOAT SEMEN for ten minutes

Musician Stéphane “Niege” Paut, most well known for his project Alcest (which i talked about on the page before) said in instagram comments that he listens to and likes Lana. I can’t find it anywhere, but I remember seeing it.

Speaking of instagram, the instagram page for Profound Lore Records, an extreme metal label, follows Lana on instagram. They occasionally comment on her posts, and when they do they get about 10-15 likes :thumb3:. That shows at least some overlap between the communities.

I know theirs plenty of other examples oht their, but those are the ones i can think of. Speaking from personal experience, I myself would fit this description as well. Lana is the only pop artist i really like. I’ve heard and dabbled into others, but Lana is only one I can truly say i’m a fan of. If i told people in the metal community i’m a fan of Lana, they would probably look at me like i’m a looney toon. Same thing vice versa, i’d imagine most Lana fans would cover their ears hearing most of my favorite music :thumb:

Heavy metal hour on TV/ Diamond Dave And Railene/ And you salute me Miss America/ Because I am. I AM.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg

1 hour ago, X8vinylScratchX said:

I know theirs plenty of other examples oht their, but those are the ones i can think of. Speaking from personal experience, I myself would fit this description as well. Lana is the only pop artist i really like. I’ve heard and dabbled into others, but Lana is only one I can truly say i’m a fan of. If i told people in the metal community i’m a fan of Lana, they would probably look at me like i’m a looney toon. Same thing vice versa, i’d imagine most Lana fans would cover their ears hearing most of my favorite music :thumb:

Nice post! I think there are more of us here than you might think, and there are even more out in the broader world, who don't fit the stereotype because the stereotype mostly refers to the online communities, and there are a lot of older fans of hers who take no part in any social media. Dedicated metal fans in my experience fit into two categores - very closed minded, or very open minded. The former will never like things that don't fit into what they think their 'fandom' should cover; the latter will try to find any music that is exciting, fun, interesting, radical, different, etc etc. And then there are the out and out Lana stans who happen to sing for heavy metal bands, like Sharon Den Adel.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

@X8vinylScratchX i've noticed that you're a type o negative fan, i've been getting into their music, i've only listened through bloody kisses and october rust so far, but i really like them and i think they're honestly just incredible, beautiful, and so unique

it's hard to say what my favorite songs are from bloody kisses because the ones i really do love all of the songs i feel familiar with so far, i like listening to blood and fire, and i love listening to summer breeze with set me on fire queued right after since they go together, can't lose you is certainly great and i love the psychedelic feel it has, and christian woman and black no. 1 are just amazing, there's really nothing like them, i love long songs, and they most definitely have earned their length, i also love it how their songs switch up and have different sections to them

i like pretty much everything off of october rust but i'm still not entirely familiar with every song yet, but my favorites from that one so far are love you to death, which is probably my current favorite type o negative song in general so far, it's so beautiful and romantic in the darkest, most gothic way, and i love that, i also really love wolf moon and haunted

what are your favorite songs from the band?

WGe8ynS.gif

On 4/28/2024 at 9:01 PM, Liz Taylor Blues said:

fans of Lana within the metal community. By metal, i don’t mean Linkin Park. I mean the loud angry screaming bands in the genres of black metal, death metal, grindcore. Quite possibly the most sonically opposed sounding music compared to Lanas. I’ve seen a few fans of Lana in these communities

On 4/28/2024 at 9:33 PM, longtimeman said:

I think there are more of us here than you might think, and there are even more out in the broader world, who don't fit the stereotype because the stereotype mostly refers to the online communities, and there are a lot of older fans of hers who take no part in any social media. Dedicated metal fans in my experience fit into two categores - very closed minded, or very open minded.

Great posts from the both of you. As a death metal respecter and 8-year Lana stan, I do think about these things a lot. It always tickles me when I talk to a fellow metalhead and they say “I fucking LOVE Lana Del Rey!” Also the gym bros who mostly bump metal in their headphones, they seem to be big enthusiasts of “West Coast” as a jam to lift to. She really appeals to so many and it’s cool to be in a community where there is such diversity, but we all can appreciate the gift that is Lana (and her music.) The open-minded metal fans are some of my favorite people. They appreciate classical music (which death metal is very close to, due to the complexity and time signature changes.) I just love seeing a scruffy bearded man with a band logo on his shirt that I can’t read :oic2: who says LDR is brilliant. That’s how you know her shit is way deeper and more interesting than that of the mainstream pop girlies, because those types of people seriously nerd out over every aspect of music. To see those types paying her respect is just heartwarming to me. 

AB6-A338-F-93-FB-4-E32-8-E3-A-565-A67-D9

6 hours ago, Surf Noir said:

@X8vinylScratchX i've noticed that you're a type o negative fan, i've been getting into their music, i've only listened through bloody kisses and october rust so far, but i really like them and i think they're honestly just incredible, beautiful, and so unique

it's hard to say what my favorite songs are from bloody kisses because the ones i really do love all of the songs i feel familiar with so far, i like listening to blood and fire, and i love listening to summer breeze with set me on fire queued right after since they go together, can't lose you is certainly great and i love the psychedelic feel it has, and christian woman and black no. 1 are just amazing, there's really nothing like them, i love long songs, and they most definitely have earned their length, i also love it how their songs switch up and have different sections to them

i like pretty much everything off of october rust but i'm still not entirely familiar with every song yet, but my favorites from that one so far are love you to death, which is probably my current favorite type o negative song in general so far, it's so beautiful and romantic in the darkest, most gothic way, and i love that, i also really love wolf moon and haunted

what are your favorite songs from the band?

Yes, i’m a huge fan of them. They’ve always had this very alternate sound with themes of gothic romance. They have contemporaries, but i think Type O sounded most unique and had the most prolific output, hence being the most popular band within the genre. The band (mainly Peter Steele) never took things too seriously. They were over the top and wacky with lyrics and themes which played in well to their songwriting. Type O Negative has lots of skits and throw away track that show this. Steeles previous band, Carnivore, was even more over the top and wacky. 

My favorite records by Type O Negative are hands down Life is Killing Me and Dead Again. In their last two records they perfected their sound in my opinion. Some of my favorite songs are Hey Pete, Pyretta Blaze, Cinnamon Girl, Be My Druidess, and I Don’t Wanna Be Me. Bloody Kisses is a phenomenal album. It’s sounds the most radio friendly, but still maintains their sound. Summer Breeze and Set Me On Fire and my favs from the album and probably Christian Woman. The varied instrumentation makes it all sound grand, like a goth rock orchestra. October Rust is probably their most sombre sounding album. The songs are often pretty and just straight up catchy sounding. It’s hard to pick tracks that stand out from this album because they all sound great, but Green Man, Die With Me, and the tracks i mentioned earlier are probably my favorites. Their other albums are great too, and follow suit similarly. The first album is probably the silliest (one way of putting it) lyrically speaking. But you just can’t help but love it, because it’s just so apologetically Type O Negative.

There’s many contemporaries, but none of them really capture the same vibe Type O Negative does. They often get compared to Christian Death, London After Midnight, Sisters of Mercy, etc. I’m not gonna pretend to be 100% familiar with those bands discographies, but those bands veer far more into goth rock territory than alternate metal. One band that doesn’t get brought up very often that i think is comparable to Type O Negative is HIM. HIM is a goth rock band with romantic themes similar to Type O Negative, although HIM also is very much more rooted in Goth than Alternative Metal. I guess some early Cradle of Filth could be comparable as well, with themes of gothic romance, but conversely thats much more sonically rooted in black and death metal. 

My favorite song of all time by the band is I Don’t Wanna Be Me. I think that’s their most popular song as of recently (thanks to TikTok). This song has the lyrics:

Two steps forward, three steps back

Without warning, heart attack

He fell asleep in the snow

Never woke up, died alone

In this autobiographical song about his own addictions, Peter Steele predicted his own death. Steele ended up dying of an unexpected heart attack seven years after the release of this song and album. It really adds to the legend of this band in my opinion, while not really being something that gets brought up often. It also just happens to be my favorite song in their entire discography

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95237ep20gi51lvjl437x