Fluorine

Charli XCX

I thought of a better idea to organize Sucker (and all of the songs this era).

• Sucker
  • Sucker Punch (The B-Sides and extra songs EP)
  • Superlove EP (Superlove, Heartbreak High and Cuts Like Diamonds) (all of which can go on the B-Sides EP).

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

I don't think Charli is of Ugandan descent, I think her Indian mother was just from/lived there. There used to be a large Indian population living in Uganda who were fully Indian & did not have any Ugandan blood in them; my mom & her family lived in Uganda and it was just happenstance that their families had chosen to migrate there, as they had no Ugandan ancestry. The large majority (if not all) Indians lived there up until the early 70s when they were all kicked out. So basically, I think Charli is of Indian-Scottish descent, not Scottish-Indian-Ugandan, if her parentage was similar to mine. 

It's really important for the plight of POC to be discussed and it saddens me that Charli doesn't really acknowledge her ethnicity. I literally only found out about it because it's mentioned on her Wiki biography - it's unfair that it's just an additional little note instead of something that Charli talks about in her interviews. As someone said before, not recognising her own ethnicity basically amounts to self-hate and internalized racism. 

FML Charli is problematic

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

I don't think Charli is of Ugandan descent, I think her Indian mother was just from/lived there. There used to be a large Indian population living in Uganda who were fully Indian & did not have any Ugandan blood in them; my mom & her family lived in Uganda and it was just happenstance that their families had chosen to migrate there, as they had no Ugandan ancestry. The large majority (if not all) Indians lived there up until the early 70s when they were all kicked out. So basically, I think Charli is of Indian-Scottish descent, not Scottish-Indian-Ugandan, if her parentage was similar to mine. 

It's really important for the plight of POC to be discussed and it saddens me that Charli doesn't really acknowledge her ethnicity. I literally only found out about it because it's mentioned on her Wiki biography - it's unfair that it's just an additional little note instead of something that Charli talks about in her interviews. As someone said before, not recognising her own ethnicity basically amounts to self-hate and internalized racism. 

Yeah I was kind of unsure about the Ugandan Indian part, but it's exactly my point. She should make it apart of her person and correct people that call her white. It's erasing half of her family history when she isn't doing it. I think she did self-hate because of her ancestry because alot of people have.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

Although I agree that white people have, and probably will always be the least oppressed race (mainly due to the fact that we're just larger in number in most first world countries) like it or not there IS such a thing as racism against white people (I'm not going to use the phrase 'reverse racism' because that's one of the most racist expressions I've ever heard) it's definitely not as common as racism against blacks (which in my opinion hasn't really improved for an alarmingly long time)

but it exists and I've come across it before. On top of this gay whites experience oppression and bellitlement very frequently (I know quite a few people who have friends of many different colours but that would never dare touch a gay dude lest they get infected, it's funny how christians seem to have forgoten about how the bible condones slavery* but gays are still treated like freaks of nature because a nearly 2000 year old book says so) I agree only the oppressed race should decide when they're being discriminated against, but we recognise racism just as aptly as you guys, most of us.

*Leviticus 25: 44-46

Although I agree that white people have, and probably will always be the least oppressed race (mainly due to the fact that we're just larger in number in most first world countries) like it or not there IS such a thing as racism against white people (I'm not going to use the phrase 'reverse racism' because that's one of the most racist expressions I've ever heard) it's definitely not as common as racism against blacks (which in my opinion hasn't really improved for an alarmingly long time) but it exists and I've come across it before. On top of this gay whites experience oppression and bellitlement very frequently (I know quite a few people who have friends of many different colours but that would never dare touch a gay dude lest they get infected, it's funny how christians seem to have forgoten about how the bible condones slavery* but gays are still treated like freaks of nature because a nearly 2000 year old book says so) I agree only the oppressed race should decide when they're being discriminated against, but we recognise racism just as aptly as you guys, most of us.

*Leviticus 25: 44-46

I'm sorry but if you think racism can happen to white people in a first world country then you're mistaken. And sexuality isn't as important as race, you can be made fun of for being gay, but racism will always be more serious than homophobia. There are more black people being murdered for their skin than gays being killed for their sexuality.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

oh thank you for bringing up what REALLY matters! so brave.

:toofunny:

Lol as I brought up in that post, racism against all races matters, but prejudice against whites is extremely uncommon. I just thought I should remind people that even if we are privileged in numerous ways we are familiar with oppression and most of us do recognise it. Some of you were suggesting we don't know the first thing about discrimination, which is thoroughly wrong. We're just not as commonly discriminated against, I just brought it up to remind you that, although it isn't exactly my place to identify when someone else is being discriminated against, treating me like some idiot completely unaware of these issues isn't fair at all. If you didn't think my post was relevant you could have ignored it, I don't think anything I said was offensive. I'm not denying that I will never know discrimination like any one black individual, I don't hope to, but I like to think I'm aware enough of it to join in a conversation without someone patronising me like I'm a clueless child. I try to keep up as much I can, I think I deserve to be treated like an adult, but if I'm out of line in anyway here feel free to let me know :toofunny:

Racism is systematic oppression. White people are not oppressed. White people can be oppressed because of their gender, sexuality etc., but not their skin colour. Therefore, reverse racism or racism towards white people does not exist. Prejudice towards white people is real, but white racks certainly is not.

Anyway, I got True Romance for Christmas! :legend:

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

I'm sorry but if you think racism can happen to white people in a first world country then you're mistaken. And sexuality isn't as important as race, you can be made fun of for being gay, but racism will always be more serious than homophobia. There are more black people being murdered for their skin than gays being killed for their sexuality.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong but Iggy Azalea isn't going around killing Africans. We were talking about the casual prejudice that's so common in first world countries, which does happen to white people every now and then, but for the most part I agree it's uncommon and so obviously, not nearly as relevant in this discussion. While we're talking about CASUAL bigotry, and not the extremes that you mention, gay marriage is still illegal in 15 states. Yes, racism as a whole is still more prominent than homophobia, but I only brought it up because someone said that only races that have been oppressed are qualified to identify racism, and while I agree that only the particular race being discriminated against is justified in speaking on behalf of their race, white people recognise bigotry as well as any other person. It may not be the most pressing issue facing society, but I WASN'T trying to change the discussion to the oh so challenging issue of prejudice against whites (sarcasm) I just wanted you to understand I recognise bigotry as well as any-other person, many white people have even experienced it to a lesser degree.

Racism is systematic oppression. White people are not oppressed. White people can be oppressed because of their gender, sexuality etc., but not their skin colour. Therefore, reverse racism or racism towards white people does not exist. Prejudice towards white people is real, but white racks certainly is not.

Anyway, I got True Romance for Christmas! :legend:

Prejudice is the word I was looking for, I'll go back and edit my posts to be more politically correct then. MOVING ON I just got True Romance for christmas as well! I guess I'll just listen to that until we've all forgotten my mistake :shh2:

Prejudice is the word I was looking for, I'll go back and edit my posts to be more politically correct then. 

"Prejudice" is a better word than "racism" to use in this context because it is more widely recognized. I.e. also in academic circles :eyeroll: But intellectual elitists and their wannabes do not get to dictate what is the common understanding of words. As anyone who has studied language will acknowledge, meaning is fluid. When I notice I have more privilege in a given area, I try to give the other person room to lead the way in deciding how to frame the conversation. But dictating terms is not helpful. It is monologue, the opposite of dialogue. 

oh thank you for bringing up what REALLY matters! so brave.

Another example of monologue is twisting a person's words to say something they never meant, or outright lying about what the person said. So yeah, if your rhetoric is leading you to slander people who disagree with you, it's time to reevaluate your approach.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem, etc., & etc.

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

OH MY GOD NO SHE IS NOT. It's not her fault if she was raised white. That's her identity. It's her body, her rules! Why should she have to bring up that she's Indian in every other interview out of no where!? It's not like she's ever asked about it, and she's certainly not trying to hide it. Maybe being half Indian hasn't really had an effect on her life thus far? What's weong with that? She's only 22 and still discovering herself, honestly get off her back.

Honestly if she wants to identify as white that's her choice and power to her! Maybe her mom doesn't know much about her family or there's some really bad blood there. Charli choosing how she wants to personally identify does not erase Indian culture from anyone else but herself. And if she never was even brought up to know anything about Indian culture how is that her fault?

I know I'm white but I'm a human being so I know that it's weird to tell people wtf they should do with their heritage! It's one thing with Iggy because she's stealing someone else's heritage. Charli is just identifying the way that she wants to and there's nothig wrong with that. She's not hurting anyone. I'm so confused why yall are hating on the poor girl so hard over the way she lives her life which you know very little about.

I know Charli probably has zero native Ugandan ancestry, but the Pakistanis and Indians who moved to Uganda often refer to themselves as Ugandan Asians. They have been there for over 100 years.