Fluorine

Charli XCX

I think people confuse championing girl power with feminism. 

This is a good point. At its worst, "girl power" can take the form of misandry (something feminism in general sometimes is charged with unfairly). But at its best, "girl power" can be a shorthand/introduction to encouraging females to stand up for themselves, and importantly, for each other. When that is the focus, i.e. challenging arbitrarily restrictive norms, I can see a certain kind of shallow consistency in indulging "girls behaving 'badly'" while ignoring "boys behaving 'badly,'" if that makes sense.

I've been meaning to ask everyone here what you thought of certain aspects of the Breaking Up video. Overall I love it, but a couple of parts bothered me a little: girl posse vs. boy posse, and the one time she "slaps" the Ex (after gagging, binding and dragging him). I'm more bothered by the message others could make of it, than by concern for Charli's intent. I initially interpreted it as "This guy is a jerk, and this guy's friends are also jerks, and Charli and her friends are sick of it." No biggie... unless. Did it make anyone else feel uncomfortable on second thought, like maybe it can be seen as girl power attacking guys in general?

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

I've been meaning to ask everyone here what you thought of certain aspects of the Breaking Up video. Overall I love it, but a couple of parts bothered me a little: girl posse vs. boy possee, and the one time she "slaps" the Ex (after gagging, binding and dragging him). I'm more bothered by the message others could make of it, than true concern for Charli's intent. I mainly interpreted it as "This guy is a jerk, and this guy's friends are also jerks, and Charli and her friends are sick of it." No biggie... unless. Did it make anyone else feel uncomfortable, like it's girl power attacking guys in general?

I though the video was great (apart from the awkward spoken part at the beginning). Loved the part where she smashes her phone after video message!

I don't think she intended for there to be a message, I think it was just a kind of "ladies, if he's a dick then dump him". Girl power is glorious.

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

Y'all aren't going to like my review of Sucker. I'm not really a fan of pop music unless it's indie or urban. I'll rate the songs on a scale of 1-10.

Sucker - 4

Break the Rules - 2

London Queen - 1

Breaking Up - 2.5

Gold Coins - 4.5

Boom Clap - 5

Doing It - 9

Body of My Own - 6.5

Famous - 7

Hanging Around - 3

Die Tonight - 5.5

Caught in the Middle - 9

Need Ur Luv - 7.5

By averaging up the scores, I give the album a 5. It's just very average and uninspired. 

In the end, I only purchased Doing It and Caught in the Middle. They both have the 80s r&b groove I like. My overall complaint about Sucker is that a lot of the songs (even the songs I like) really remind me of songs I've heard before, but I can't pinpoint the songs. I can only pinpoint the general sound, which is mostly 80s pop/New Wave/r&b. This tells me that the songs are generic and sound like a little bit of everything I've heard from the 80s. My dog likes Need Ur Luv. Someone can gift it to her for Christmas.  

I've been meaning to ask everyone here what you thought of certain aspects of the Breaking Up video. Overall I love it, but a couple of parts bothered me a little: girl posse vs. boy posse, and the one time she "slaps" the Ex (after gagging, binding and dragging him). I'm more bothered by the message others could make of it, than by concern for Charli's intent. I initially interpreted it as "This guy is a jerk, and this guy's friends are also jerks, and Charli and her friends are sick of it." No biggie... unless. Did it make anyone else feel uncomfortable on second thought, like maybe it can be seen as girl power attacking guys in general?

I'm a guy, and I really liked the video/ was not put off by it at all. I understood it was just a classic boy vs girl kind of video, and was supposed to over the top. It didn't make me think that Charli hates boys and whats to torture them all or something. A little besides the point, but she also said that Breaking Up is the least personal song on the album. It's a fictional story.

2dt29zc.jpg

:rollin:

Yes? I just recently outed an MRA sympathizer on another forum, so I don't need to be told how ridiculous that can get. But if there are feminist/egalitarian men who are bothered by the subject of my fangirling I'd like to know.

Y'all aren't going to like my review of Sucker. I'm not really a fan of pop music unless it's indie or urban. I'll rate the songs on a scale of 1-10.

Sucker - 4

Break the Rules - 2

London Queen - 1

Breaking Up - 2.5

Gold Coins - 4.5

Boom Clap - 5

Doing It - 9

Body of My Own - 6.5

Famous - 7

Hanging Around - 3

Die Tonight - 5.5

Caught in the Middle - 9

Need Ur Luv - 7.5

By averaging up the scores, I give the album a 5. It's just very average and uninspired. 

Argh. I like the album, but the DI/BOMO/Famous section is the low point for me. "Body of My Own" has great lyrics, I just wish I liked the music better. "Doing It" ...my first thought was, "This song could have been on the radio in heavy rotation in 1985. This is not a compliment." :ohno: I'm in the process of tweaking the track list (of course) to make myself like these three a little more by splitting them up.

"London Queen," well it's no "Barbie Girl" :P but it's adorable. I don't get the hate at all. I'm definitely adding "Allergic to Love" before "Breaking Up" tho. "SuperLove" demands a spot too.  :bop:

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

@@PrettyBaby what is your altered tracklist looking like so far? :) I got kind of stuck with mine, but..

Sucker

BTR

London Queen

Hanging Around

Boom Clap

I dunno what should go after BC. I don't think Doing It goes very well after it. I'm putting Money as the definite album closer. I'm going to put Superlove somewhere in there, but not ATL.

14417469274.gif

i really really REALLY need the instrumentals for the album to leak/be released...imagine a Breaking Up instrumental with the "yeah yeah yeah" still in it :sky:

Breaking Up instrumental with backing vocals would be heaven. :flutter: The "ooooh" backing vocals in the second verse/bridge is EVERYTHING

lABVyGE.png

Leak: Kingdom (Demo)

http://soundcloud.com/coming-up-roses/kingdom-by-charli-xcx-cover

:rip: :rip: :rip: :rip: oh, my god :lmao:

lABVyGE.png

So what songs can be considered album B-Sides? I only have these four.

• Superlove
  • Allergic to Love (Cover)
  • Rollercoaster (Cover)
  • Money (That's What I Want) (Cover)

So what songs can be considered album B-Sides? I only have these four.

• Superlove
  • Allergic to Love (Cover)
  • Rollercoaster (Cover)
  • Money (That's What I Want) (Cover)

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

ew that Kingdom cover is dreadful

it really is. :toofunny: i was on soundcloud searching for SUCKER instrumentals (oh, and i found nothing and it kills me :rip:) and found that thing. :rip:

lABVyGE.png