Fluorine

Charli XCX

There's a HUGE difference between discrimination and oppresion, how ignorant can you be. Racism does not exist for white people. Sure, maybe at some points in your life you've been discriminated against by a black person but it sure as hell will never amount to the hundreds of years they've been OPPRESSED as an entire people. Jesus Christ.

14417469274.gif

iseeyouupsidedown, on 25 Dec 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

OH MY GOD NO SHE IS NOT. It's not her fault if she was raised white. That's her identity. It's her body, her rules! Why should she have to bring up that she's Indian in every other interview out of no where!? It's not like she's ever asked about it, and she's certainly not trying to hide it. Maybe being half Indian hasn't really had an effect on her life thus far? What's weong with that? She's only 22 and still discovering herself, honestly get off her back.

Honestly if she wants to identify as white that's her choice and power to her! Maybe her mom doesn't know much about her family or there's some really bad blood there. Charli choosing how she wants to personally identify does not erase Indian culture from anyone else but herself. And if she never was even brought up to know anything about Indian culture how is that her fault?

I know I'm white but I'm a human being so I know that it's weird to tell people wtf they should do with their heritage! It's one thing with Iggy because she's stealing someone else's heritage. Charli is just identifying the way that she wants to and there's nothig wrong with that. She's not hurting anyone. I'm so confused why yall are hating on the poor girl so hard over the way she lives her life which you know very little about.

One thing I've noticed that is hard for white people to understand is the amount of colorism that exists among non-white ethnic groups. It is systemic and destructive. The use of harsh chemicals to straighten one's hair is widespread among people of Sub-Saharan African descent. In the Dominican Republic, people are publicly ridiculed if they let their hair get too kinky. I've seen firsthand people of Mexican descent ridiculing each other for their skin tones. Black rappers constantly talk about how they want a red bone or yellow bone (light-skinned black woman) and have even made comments disparaging dark-skinned women. I have an Indian friend who says that colorism is a major issue in India. Skin-bleaching products are becoming increasingly popular in Africa.

HAH, would you look at that. quEEN

She's probably too afraid to say anything against Azealia Banks, but she'll say something when other people attack Iggy. LOL. It doesn't sound like she's changed her opinion of Iggy. Her thinking that Iggy is a good artist and a pop icon is still problematic. Even after being made aware of Iggy's racist and homophobic comments, for which she has never apologized, Charli still defended her during the whole Snoop debacle. I understand wanting to defend a friend, but it seems as if she has no problem with Iggy's bigotry and cultural appropriation.

On a completely unrelated note, I made this a separate album from my version of Sucker.

It'll contain So Over You + what ever other songs we get during the era. I kind of enjoy the flow between all of the tracks on the EP.

G3bwuA4.png?1

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

One thing I've noticed that is hard for white people to understand is the amount of colorism that exists among non-white ethnic groups. It is systemic and destructive. The use of harsh chemicals to straighten one's hair is widespread among people of Sub-Saharan African descent. In the Dominican Republic, people are publicly ridiculed if they let their hair get too kinky. I've seen firsthand people of Mexican descent ridiculing each other for their skin tones. Black rappers constantly talk about how they want a red bone or yellow bone (light-skinned black woman) and have even made comments disparaging dark-skinned women. I have an Indian friend who says that colorism is a major issue in India. Skin-bleaching products are becoming increasingly popular in Africa.

I'm aware of this but I don't see how that concerns Charli.. Even if she talked about her indian heritage all the time (which would probably be forced if her mother never involved her in it), she's still super light skinned and looks white. It's not like she's a dark skinned Indian girl that will change beauty standards.

I'm aware of this but I don't see how that concerns Charli.. Even if she talked about her indian heritage all the time (which would probably be forced if her mother never involved her in it), she's still super light skinned and looks white. It's not like she's a dark skinned Indian girl that will change beauty standards.

If anything she is helping to pull the focus from Eurocentric beauty a little. I mean even more non-blondes are becoming popular. But even then she should speak up about her heritage a bit more.

Charli-XCX.jpg

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

There's a HUGE difference between discrimination and oppresion, how ignorant can you be. Racism does not exist for white people. Sure, maybe at some points in your life you've been discriminated against by a black person but it sure as hell will never amount to the hundreds of years they've been OPPRESSED as an entire people. Jesus Christ.

Interesting. Because it's reverse "discrimination" that is purported not to exist. I'd advise you to "educate" yourself but I really don't give a fuck about this arguing over terminology. All it is doing is allowing some people to congratulate themselves, "Well, at least I'm not an ignorant fool," while allowing other people to congratulate themselves, "Well, at least I'm not a miseducated tool." WHILE ACCOMPLISHING NOTHING.

It is just as stupid to pretend small-scale oppression "does not exist" as it is to pretend it is just as significant as large-scale oppression. Little boys growing up in homes with mothers and sisters who hate men are experiencing misandry, and white kids who get beat up by kids of other races because of their race are experiencing racism. If these terms offend you, the remedy is to get over yourself.

Large-scale trends warrant more attention and activism. Small-scale problems warrant some. No one wins the pain olympics.

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

Interesting. Because it's reverse "discrimination" that is purported not to exist. I'd advise you to "educate" yourself but I really don't give a fuck about this arguing over terminology. All it is doing is allowing some people to congratulate themselves, "Well, at least I'm not an ignorant fool," while allowing other people to congratulate themselves, "Well, at least I'm not a miseducated tool." WHILE ACCOMPLISHING NOTHING.

It is just as stupid to pretend small-scale oppression "does not exist" as it is to pretend it is just as significant as large-scale oppression. Little boys growing up in homes with mothers and sisters who hate men are experiencing misandry, and white kids who get beat up by kids of other races because of their race are experiencing racism. If these terms offend you, the remedy is to get over yourself.

Large-scale trends warrant more attention and activism. Small-scale problems warrant some. No one wins the pain olympics.

That's an interesting perspective I never considered... That racism and sexism CAN happen to anyone techcincally, but it's all about scale. Maybe if I explained it this way my parents would understand it more because it wouldn't feel as much like I was telling them instances where they were mistreated by black people because they are white don't matter.

For example my mother (technically grandmother) was once grabbed and yelled at by a black man when she was very young because she was white. I didn't know how to explain to her that in the grand scheme of things that doesn't really matter because to her it was traumatic.

I know I'm white so POC don't want to hear it, but telling white people their feelings don't matter is only going to make them resist change because EVERYONE'S feelings matter. Attacking all white people may be a good way to try to get SLIGHTLY more even with them, but it does nothing positive for race relations especially when dealing with people who don't understand why racism against white people is different than racism against POC. I think because I've never personally been a victim of racism (since I'm white) it's easier for me to remove the rage and emotion attached and come at it from this perspective. I know a lot of (unintentional) racists, and reading @Pretty Baby's post made me rethink the ways I can educate them.

That's an interesting perspective I never considered... That racism and sexism CAN happen to anyone techcincally, but it's all about scale. Maybe if I explained it this way my parents would understand it more because it wouldn't feel as much like I was telling them instances where they were mistreated by black people because they are white don't matter.

For example my mother (technically grandmother) was once grabbed and yelled at by a black man when she was very young because she was white. I didn't know how to explain to her that in the grand scheme of things that doesn't really matter because to her it was traumatic.

I know I'm white so POC don't want to hear it, but telling white people their feelings don't matter is only going to make them resist change because EVERYONE'S feelings matter. Attacking all white people may be a good way to try to get SLIGHTLY more even with them, but it does nothing positive for race relations especially when dealing with people who don't understand why racism against white people is different than racism against POC. I think because I've never personally been a victim of racism (since I'm white) it's easier for me to remove the rage and emotion attached and come at it from this perspective. I know a lot of (unintentional) racists, and reading @Pretty Baby's post made me rethink the ways I can educate them.

POC don't tell white people their feelings don't matter?? If POC say that racism can't happen to white people they're not saying their feelings don't matter. It's just that racism do not happen to white people because they have white privilege. Yes, you can have personal experiences where you are discriminated by other races (maybe caused by the years of oppression, discrimination, etc... those races have experienced) for being white but outside of that what? You don't have problems getting a job for being white (for example, there are companies that do not hire you if your skin is darker than expected), you are not labeled as a "thug" for being white, etc... that's racism too and not just being yelled at by someone of other race (that in fact it is traumatic to be discriminated and I'm not saying it doesn't matter - but there are bigger race issues).

But can we talk about other things now that Charli explained herself? :oprah: Sucker debuted at #28 in USA. I expected at least a Top 15 but it is really great comparing to what True Romance did :P

POC don't tell white people their feelings don't matter?? If POC say that racism can't happen to white people they're not saying their feelings don't matter. It's just that racism do not happen to white people because they have white privilege. Yes, you can have personal experiences where you are discriminated by other races (maybe caused by the years of oppression, discrimination, etc... those races have experienced) for being white but outside of that what? You don't have problems getting a job for being white (for example, there are companies that do not hire you if your skin is darker than expected), you are not labeled as a "thug" for being white, etc... that's racism too and not just being yelled at by someone of other race (that in fact it is traumatic to be discriminated and I'm not saying it doesn't matter - but there are bigger race issues).

But can we talk about other things now that Charli explained herself? :oprah: Sucker debuted at #28 in USA. I expected at least a Top 15 but it is really great comparing to what True Romance did :P

Yes, after everyone gets a chance to respond who wants to :P

It's usually other white people insinuating that white people's feelings don't matter. But I do believe that is not always their intent :( yes, white privilege is a BIGGER problem than isolated incidents of white victimization. Im trying to point out that there are better ways of communicating that fact -- ways that don't alienate the very people whose minds you want to see changed, and give them further reason to hate.

I'm glad Charli clarified her silence on the issue, rather than just passively remaining silent :D

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

Racism is the belief that a certain race(s) is superior to others. Institutionalized racism is racism that is ingrained in a culture and formally sanctioned by society and/or the government. Prejudice is the harboring of negative attitudes toward a person just because he/she belongs to a certain group. One is making a prejudgment of the person based on the negative stereotypes one believes about the groups that person belongs to. Discrimination is prejudice in action. Everyone is capable of all of these things. In the U.S., minorities are not in a position of power to carry out institutionalized racism, but there are minority groups in other countries who do have or had that power e.g. South Africa during Apartheid. 

Prejudice is an ecompassing term that can include racist beliefs and negative attitudes towards people for belonging to a certain nationality, gender, religion, region, ethnic group of the same race or different race, etc. Racism is specific to race.

There is plenty of room for her to be "whiter." She has dark, thick, curly hair and brown eyes. She also has some Indian features that are apparent to the trained eye. T.I.'s wife Tiny, for example, is supposed to be the coveted light-skinned black woman. She's even half white, but she went to Africa for a risky procedure to permanently change her eye color to ice gray and has bleached her hair blonde. Charli might be pale, but she grew up wishing that she looked more like the fully white girls around her. White women with blonde hair and blue eyes are presented as the highest standard of beauty. There is room for Charli to change beauty standards.