Im not taking offense to it. Im just saying this further proves that she needs to work on her delivery of words. Also I don't see all that could be in between the lines of the song, its not that deep of a song, pretty literal. Obviously not a party song, though.

lmao well 2 minutes into this video when she says "this song is not about doing drugs..." someone in the audience yelled "yes it is" so obviously it's not that straightforward to everyone

lmao well 2 minutes into this video when she says "this song is not about doing drugs..." someone in the audience yelled "yes it is" so obviously it's not that straightforward to everyone

"Yes it is" :eartha:

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

she needs to grow the fuck up. she doesn't get to decide how a person interprets a song. not everyone who listens to her music cares about what its original meaning to her is. most people want to listen to music so they can apply it to their own lives and have it mean something to them. she should stop shoving her own personal sentiments down other people's throats and accept that once you put a song out there it isn't just yours anymore.  it becomes something to anyone who listens to it and has it resonate with them. if she has no desire to let people interpret her art, why exactly does she want to make it? what childish fucking bullshit all this is. if she cares that much she may as well just have a narration/preface at the beginning of the each song, removing all excitement, mystery and the freedom of interpretation from it.

Fall Out Boy did the exact same thing with their new album-sampling and being influenced by many different artists-but why does Halsey have to take this shit?

Why do you bring back the sample discussion? :rip: literally only one person said Hold Me Down "copied" Easy and then people explained to him the sample was cleared.

Halsey is "taking this shit" because some people don't find her genuine / don't see why she's praised so much (by her teenage Tumblr fans). Lot of artists face criticism but once they prove the haters wrong it mostly stops. Let Halsey prove people wrong instead of bringing old discussion back.

wow.. what a disgusting attitude

http://iamhalsey.com/post/123208980701/which-halsey-songs-are-about-matty

you should be glad people are even listening to your trash music, let alone taking the time to actually dissect them as if to say that you are actually interesting as an artist

I mean I guess thats rude in her attitude/wording but like you have to give her some leeway, as she's like constantly hounded and harassed by stans of those boy bands who are constantly belittling her work to fake relationships their fans make up. I mean I'm a big proponent of let the music speak for itself so maybe I'm being hypocritical but like I can't help but feel like I'd be pretty pissed if people tried to make my life work into who they (speculate) I'm romantically involved with.

I'd prefer to have an intellectual discussion tbh.

Her songs have radio potential. But I do think she's going to have good sales for a debut artist.

It's the internet, what are you gonna do?

Lana is an internet artist too. Really any artist under 25 years old is a child of the internet and is influenced by it. You're acting as if it's a negative when in fact it should be an asset for launching new acts. Marina started out on Myspace in like 2006 whereas Melanie developed her career through television.

You're entitled to your opinion but you're bitter as fuck for no legitimate reason. If you don't like Halsey then leave the damn thread and find an artist that you like.

I'm not doing anything, I can't, I know this is the internet. I wasn't trying to be rude or shade Halsey, I LIKE her, I was just talking about the group of annoying ass people who call themselves something they don't even know what it is. 

QVi1xFV.gifDrH6LWV.gif0FHXTOj.gif

Why do you bring back the sample discussion? :rip: literally only one person said Hold Me Down "copied" Easy and then people explained to him the sample was cleared.

Halsey is "taking this shit" because some people don't find her genuine / don't see why she's praised so much (by her teenage Tumblr fans). Lot of artists face criticism but once they prove the haters wrong it mostly stops. Let Halsey prove people wrong instead of bringing old discussion back.

Were did I said Easy was copied? I know how the music industry and sampling works. I just found it interesting that she would sample it in the first place and make it bland 

Just like Lana, she doesn't have to prove anything. But based on what others have talked about here, she's gonna have to put a bit of effort for her haters to forget the negative aura

I'm not doing anything, I can't, I know this is the internet. I wasn't trying to be rude or shade Halsey, I LIKE her, I was just talking about the group of annoying ass people who call themselves something they don't even know what it is. 

Oh I didn't mean to be shady lmao. It's just the flow of the internet and part of what people do to form their own identity.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

I think on hits daily double they said that she has been doing well w/ pre-orders, I'm not sure exactly what doing well with pre-orders would equate to in first-week sales, but I'm going to guess that 30-45k (maybe 50k) is probable. I think she'll do better than whatever Ryn did, and that she'll sell more than whatever Melanie Martinez is going to sell.

As to her attitude towards people about her music, I think her (along w/ Ryn) need to realize that once you release your music, you need to just let the music speak for itself. I'm not saying she can't clarify something discussed about one of her songs, but she needs to be more selective in what she addresses and specifically, how she addresses it. Coming off bitchy, rude, and ungrateful does not do her any good for her image. With an artist like her, whose fan base in entirely made up of people who frequent the internet, she may need to realize that anything she does do on the internet, her fans will be aware of it. If she continues with a hot & cold attitude, that could turn away potential future fans and  turn off current fans.

Nothing scares me anymore.

I'm sure Halsey will surpass the sales of Ryn and Melanie - she should especially be able to blow past Ryn with no problems. She seems to have a bigger viral fanbase to fall back on.

MkWI4Ns.png

I'm sure Halsey will surpass the sales of Ryn and Melanie - she should especially be able to blow past Ryn with no problems. She seems to have a bigger viral fanbase to fall back on.

Melanie's fanbase is growing at a much faster rate then halseys tbh, just in the last week Melanie has gotten over 25,000 new subscribers on YouTube, Halsey has only gotten 10000

89550-F07-DF2-F-4739-9-AB0-552-DF4549773.jpg

Melanie's fanbase is growing at a much faster rate then halseys tbh, just in the last week Melanie has gotten over 25,000 new subscribers on YouTube, Halsey has only gotten 10000

^this, Halsey may be more popular on Instagram and Twitter but Melanie has like 3 times more subscribers on Youtube

YouTube isn't really the be-all, end-all of fan power, though. Halsey undoubtedly has Tumblr on-lock and has a lead on Twitter and Instagram followers. It'll be interesting to see how sales turn out for both of them. Casual listeners can subscribe on YouTube, but fans take the jump to follow on other social media platforms.

MkWI4Ns.png

CKckvkTW8AATuqy.jpg

LMFAOO 

one is better musically clearly

I easily see Halsey doing better in first week sales than Melanie. Halsey has a more accessible aesthetic than Melanie.

yeah I'd count on Halsey to beat out Melanie

H has done festivals/is opening for Imagine Dragons and appears to be getting far more significant press, but that could just be the machine pushing her 

BzhmW.png

I'm not at all suggesting this is how it went down, but, um, lyrically and sonically "New Americana" is exactly like the cheap watered down imitation you'd expect would be the end result if some trend-chasing record executive had said, "Go make me something that sounds like Lana."

If Lana hadn't already penned the line "Mimicking me is a fucking bore" in FMWUTTT she'd probably need to now.

Halsey's got nothing on Beyoncé's Lana plagiarism though. :troll:

Okay, I really don't want to judge her because Lana had to go through all of this when she first broke into the industry

Does anybody realize that 95% of the arguments against Halsey are the same exact arguments made against Lana in 2011/2012? :rip: The only valid argument I see is the similarity between National Anthem and New Americana. Love both songs, but the chorus of New Americana does have a striking similarity to National Anthem's.

There's a difference between being accused of inauthenticity because you adopt a persona that you created yourself or took inspiration from icons from another era and being accused of inauthenticity for appearing very derivative of your own contemporaries.

Oh my god, what the fuck is going on??
If you people don't like her and her music why are you on this thread? I really don't understand it.
I like her and her music and I don't get all the unnecessary hate on a thread dedicated to her

Why do you all feel the need to bring Lana Del Rey as a form to defend Halsey (or X artist, if we weren't talking about her) when you're on a Lana Del Rey forum with Lana Del Rey stans who are probably going to come here with better receipts than yours because this is a forum full with people devoted to praise her and follow her while you are just fans / casual listeners of Halsey? I mean, I do agree the people who come on here just to attack Halsey are not correct but neither the people who respond the same way with Lana Del Rey arguments. :toofunny:

Can you guys please stop talking about Lana Del Rey on here? I mean, the entire forum is about her. Let this thread be about Halsey (even if some ppl come here to post negative things, at least they're still about Halsey).

It's a discussion forum. (Primarily for discussing Lana.) People have every right to civilly express their opinions, even negative ones. And discussing Lana isn't at all off topic in a thread about another artist in the context of a discussion about the degree their work is influenced by Lana or a comparison can be made.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

She seems to be the result of Lana and Lorde having a baby together. She doesn't seem genuine at all especially with the striking similarity of "New Americana" to "National Anthem". I find her humorous talking in that video posted by comeintomybedroom, about how the song isn't about doing drugs but speaking for a generation of diversity. "New Americana" sounds like she is praising 14 year olds who have just discovered weed and grunge music off tumblr blogs back in 2010. I'm pretty sure she's just over-hyped and will be forgotten by next year.

Just my two cents.  :pft: