EXPERIMENT ON ME>>>>>>>>>>

if this song and nightmare is what manic was gonna sound like before her label stepped in... unforgivable

I really feel like she could find her own unique new and amazing niche in this harder kind of music !!

The Nightmare sound is possible but not for Experiment on Me. That song is only a product of her collab with Bring Me The Horizon, which happened July 2019- definitely a side project. 

But when was the majority of Manic written and produced? I don't know the timeline but it would be very interesting to disect it.

The Nightmare sound is possible but not for Experiment on Me. That song is only a product of her collab with Bring Me The Horizon, which happened July 2019- definitely a side project. 

But when was the majority of Manic written and produced? I don't know the timeline but it would be very interesting to disect it.

the more angsty/rock-y songs i assume were all written around the same time, like summer/fall 2018 or early 2019, while she was dating yungblud and hanging out with all time low and stuff (when she was "angry")

without me, graveyard, still learning, ashley, more, forever (is a long time) probably were written around the same time as eastside, they all have a similar sound, i don't know when that was (summer 2018?)

the greg kurstin songs (except 3am maybe?) were probably the last ones to be written and/or produced so i assumed they're from summer 2019

lido stepped on the album on summer 2019 (mid-august)

correct me if i'm wrong or missing something

giphy.gif

Saw her in Milan two days ago and I gotta say I'm completely still devastated. :defeated:

I'm so so glad I didn't sell my ticket when Manic came out because it was such an experience. I got there only knowing the setlist and the stage look only for a couple of hours, and everything just blew me away. The Nightmare intro with the fire, HER VOICE goddamn I didn't know she had such strong vocals, the setlist full of deep cuts and not even one song cut short and last, she carried all this big 2hrs show ALONE, like...that's some main pop girl shit omg. :hdu:

Also, Is There Somewhere her best song wbk and so does she lmao. :hooker:

the more angsty/rock-y songs i assume were all written around the same time, like summer/fall 2018 or early 2019, while she was dating yungblud and hanging out with all time low and stuff (when she was "angry")

without me, graveyard, still learning, ashley, more, forever (is a long time) probably were written around the same time as eastside, they all have a similar sound, i don't know when that was (summer 2018?)

the greg kurstin songs (except 3am maybe?) were probably the last ones to be written and/or produced so i assumed they're from summer 2019

lido stepped on the album on summer 2019 (mid-august)

correct me if i'm wrong or missing something

Just found out more from a BMTH interview. So they definitely collabed first to do Experiment on Me, which I didn't actually know, and the July 2019 video on Halseys insta of her recording and saying "was it too much?" Or something was for that. 

think the alternative lyrics and "15 minutes to record" is talking about the collab on their album tho. 

"The guest cast is enormously diverse. How did Halsey come into the picture?

We did a session for her last year. We wrote her some music for a movie she was doing. Just a couple of sessions. She really wanted to do some rock, and we just wrote with her for a bit. That was one of the first things we did, just to try things out. We wrote it, talked about releasing it, and she came up with these alternative lyrics. We wrote them down, and it took her about 15 minutes to record it. It was one of the things that just sat there, but we always thought it was cool."

I want to talk about "Is there somewhere". When I first discovered Halsey and listened to her stuff, this one did not stand out to me at all so I never listened to it again and just forgot it exists, but then I saw people saying it is her best song ever, and then another and another. So apparently this one is very loved within her fanbase so I looked it up and listened to it, and it was...nothing? Like I am not impressed, there isn't even a chorus or anything that is catchy about it. Since then I listened to it like 7 more times waiting for it to finally click with me so I can see what everyone else is seeing but it's just not happening :ohno:

I want to talk about "Is there somewhere". When I first discovered Halsey and listened to her stuff, this one did not stand out to me at all so I never listened to it again and just forgot it exists, but then I saw people saying it is her best song ever, and then another and another. So apparently this one is very loved within her fanbase so I looked it up and listened to it, and it was...nothing? Like I am not impressed, there isn't even a chorus or anything that is catchy about it. Since then I listened to it like 7 more times waiting for it to finally click with me so I can see what everyone else is seeing but it's just not happening :ohno:

thank you omg, the vast majority of her discography (save for some complete messes) is better than is there somewhere. even on that EP, trouble is better. the amount of people saying its her best has NEVER ceased to baffle me

thank you omg, the vast majority of her discography (save for some complete messes) is better than is there somewhere. even on that EP, trouble is better. the amount of people saying its her best has NEVER ceased to baffle me

I see deafness is a big problem in this thread.

Trouble?! lmao that average piano/vocals trouble? 

ITS is her best song because of the feeling it encapsulates, the structure is something pretty uncommon by not having a proper chorus and this thing makes you hungry for a climax that even when it's about to reach, it takes a looot to drop and it's so satisfying.

And like, it gives off perfectly the feeling of a tumblerish summer night in a motel room with your friend with benefits that sees you just as one of his girls, and at some point you realize you've fallen in love with him, even tho he doesn't reciprocate and probably would get mad and leave you.

so yup, best song

I see deafness is a big problem in this thread.

Trouble?! lmao that average piano/vocals trouble? 

ITS is her best song because of the feeling it encapsulates, the structure is something pretty uncommon by not having a proper chorus and this thing makes you hungry for a climax that even when it's about to reach, it takes a looot to drop and it's so satisfying.

And like, it gives off perfectly the feeling of a tumblerish summer night in a motel room with your friend with benefits that sees you just as one of his girls, and at some point you realize you've fallen in love with him, even tho he doesn't reciprocate and probably would get mad and leave you.

so yup, best song

Thanks for the explanation, very interesting.

I'm so happy she's teasing the idea of releasing the angry album... I saw her last night in Glasgow and honestly Nightmare and EOM were highlights!

The show was incredible though, sadly the Manic material wasn't doing it for me live. Without Me, Graveyard, YSBS and 3am were good but the older material felt superior and had the crowd giving more energy

I'm so happy she's teasing the idea of releasing the angry album... I saw her last night in Glasgow and honestly Nightmare and EOM were highlights!

The show was incredible though, sadly the Manic material wasn't doing it for me live. Without Me, Graveyard, YSBS and 3am were good but the older material felt superior and had the crowd giving more energy

lucky! 

i really do hope she will release a side metal project cause that sounds suits her perfectly right now and i think she'll be able to pull it off. also: nightmare and eom are some of her very best songs 

come to my house let's die together, friendships that would last forever

Since Im on a halsey unreleased spree today, here's some gold finds:

This is so chill. I am a fool for the epic build up of the Badlands version but wow this is so good too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv2BfbfrEZ0

New Americana is actually great when it's not ripping off Lana's production

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUFmUIGZuic

I definitely like this version better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BC4sMrQO2E

Fanmade 'remix' but it's SO PERFECT WOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3V6MOmsw2M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4AscAjFqJY

I remember watching this every single day, it's been 5 years and we still don't have this version... 

THIS!!!! i've been waiting AGES for this to leak, i'll take a rework made by a fan too please i'm begging 

come to my house let's die together, friendships that would last forever

Since Im on a halsey unreleased spree today, here's some gold finds:

This is so chill. I am a fool for the epic build up of the Badlands version but wow this is so good too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv2BfbfrEZ0

New Americana is actually great when it's not ripping off Lana's production

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUFmUIGZuic

I definitely like this version better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BC4sMrQO2E

Fanmade 'remix' but it's SO PERFECT WOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3V6MOmsw2M

I had no idea about these demo versions :O I need to update my Halsey folder, is there a masterpost i can check?