Fusel

SONG PREMIERE: "Honeymoon"

But this aren't even how the lyrics are, I mean, usually in trailers they do this horrible editing of the track for it to fit the lenght of it, they cut part of songs and the lyrics get all messed up, so we should wait.

You're right, anyone with ears can tell that the second piece is at a different part of the song, it picks up way too suddenly

smile.gif

I just love how silky and smooth her voice sounds, really reminds me of VG. And WHY is no one talking about the slight pause she makes when she sings "our -- honeymoon..." like... :deadbanana:

Yes!! I keep rewinding to about the 4 minute mark just to hear the beginning of the third chorus  :flutter:

The more I listen to it, the more I think it would be greatly improved with a bassline.  (Though not in some techno/EDM way.)  The instrumental just feels incomplete, even if the strings are great.

We know that the lyrics are complet tragedy tho

Don't be that way

Don't you pretend

You're not awake

Your soul's on fire

I don't believe

This is the end

Come on boy lets go

We can hit the road

We don't have to stay

Where we're going

We can go anywhere

We can go anywhere

Right now

Life is still so beautiful

But this aren't even how the lyrics are, I mean, usually in trailers they do this horrible editing of the track for it to fit the lenght of it, they cut part of songs and the lyrics get all messed up, so we should wait.

Different parts or not, these lyrics are boring. I

I'm kind of hoping for the bass drop.

tZ7WN4B.gif

Am I the only one who has listened to nothing but this track since its release? My lawd. Not even "Ultraviolence," which I absolutely loved, received this many listens from me.

I just can't get over how Lana killed, slayed, ate, and tore through this song in her elegant, effortless way. She is a goddess. The way that she deliberately phrases things for effect... Everything! I cannot wait for the new album. I just can't. **Dreaming away your life, hmm-hmmm-hmmm-hmmmmhhm-hmm** She ate that.

Am I the only one who has listened to nothing but this track since its release? My lawd. Not even "Ultraviolence," which I absolutely loved, received this many listens from me.

I just can't get over how Lana killed, slayed, ate, and tore through this song in her elegant, effortless way. She is a goddess. The way that she deliberately phrases things for effect... Everything! I cannot wait for the new album. I just can't. **Dreaming away your life, hmm-hmmm-hmmm-hmmmmhhm-hmm** She ate that.

I love how gay you are. 

Besides the usual disdain from the nypost.com, where some dude with a Foo Fighters badge gave it 1,5 stars from 4, I'm surprised how well received HM was. Even A. Fantano who usually dismiss her quickly was in-between with HM. The guy from the nypost said basically that her "I'm in love with a bad boy" shtick is wearing thin and I have to agree with that. Obviously I'm not agreeing with his score because the strengths of HM are the beautiful vocals and the production (I would give it a 3 from 4).

The only big issue that I have with the lyrics is this unnecessary depiction of her love interest as a violent mafioso. I'm trying to imagine Barrie, Francesco or the WoW player from VG with some guns and a bad boy attitude and the result is just ridiculous. Some people compared HM with VG but I think the former was something relatable and authentic compared with this film noir vignette of HM which is clearly fiction and just a mean to showcase her vocal skills. She has a certain talent in creating these vignettes but I hope that there will be no more bad boy caricatures on HM because I think that would drag the whole thing down.

The issue with the lyrics, while they're kinda boring and over the top, is that she said multiple times that the wants to emulate the golden era of jazz music through her songwriting. If you look closely, a HUGE part of the songs that belonged to that period of time have these cheesy lyrics about getting beaten by your man or loving a bad man stuff (ex : nina's version of Plain Gold Ring : great song, great vocals arrangements etc, random lyrics ; see also popular standards like My Man, although this one's lyrics are good). So you have to take this in consideration when thinking about all her stuff, especially UV : it's a very deliberate act, and not just Lana being so proud about these clumsy lyrics. Still, it's possible to inject the whole jazzy signature and mood with great songwriting, because there's also a great deal of beautifully written tunes (she did cover the other woman, which is an exemple of simple but great pop writting and character picturing). So idk we'll have to wait.

I think there's also a lot of disappointment since Lana has already proven that she's a brilliant and versatile songwriter, so everyone expects more. And the fact that she keeps on this obsession of creating the perfect dark-night-jazz torch songs, when they probably already exist and won't be toped, is confusing.

Anyone else think the book might be a track list (or a set list) that will come into focus when she wants it to? 13 or 14 lines (think she said HM will have 13 songs, but all her albums have bonus song or two or three.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

So you have to take this in consideration when thinking about all her stuff, especially UV : it's a very deliberate act, and not just Lana being so proud about these clumsy lyrics. Still, it's possible to inject the whole jazzy signature and mood with great songwriting, because there's also a great deal of beautifully written tunes (she did cover the other woman, which is an exemple of simple but great pop writting and character picturing). So idk we'll have to wait.

I think there's also a lot of disappointment since Lana has already proven that she's a brilliant and versatile songwriter, so everyone expects more. And the fact that she keeps on this obsession of creating the perfect dark-night-jazz torch songs, when they probably already exist and won't be toped, is confusing.

This. Some verses are beautiful on HM but as a whole the bad boy trope sticks out and diminish the whole thing for me. She's absolutely capable of being jazzy and to write decent lyrics in the same time. I'm not against the vignettes but you have to diversify your tropes and tell a compelling story if you use them (think of OTTR or Kinda Outta Luck)

Bob Dylan writes lots of songs where there are a lot of words in a sentence.

Great artists like Dylan and Lana do that.

Stream of conscious

In fact, the wording makes it even more distinct.  Conforming to everyone else, then it isn't Lana.

One thing is sure, from the first sung letter of the first sung word, instantly, one knows it is Lana. And no matter what, it is nobody but Lana.

Like the first second of a Hitchcock or Lynch movie, one knows it is a Hitchcock or Lynch movie. It is the stamp of authenticity.

The mark of an artist.

(whereas it could be anyone directing or writing a movie that Tarentino  puts out, nothing artistic about him, its all about how much he can cram into his pockets to take to the bank after stealing

everything he could from Lynch and Hitchcock)

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

It's OK, but a bit boring.  It's not just that it's slow -- but that it's slow and there aren't a lot of lyrics, so the words feel dragged out to finish the lines.  Also, her slow songs are better with more interesting drum/bass lines, IMO.  I'd take pretty much every song on BTD over this.

She sounds great vocally, but I hope the rest of the album is more interesting.  If it's 14 songs of this, it will be a huge let-down.

U say dis but btd itself doesn't even have that many lyrics. The bridge is literally the same lyrics as the rest of it lol.

tumblr_mxk6xrLiob1r4y0tco1_500.gif Instagram: pxpi_gringo

U say dis but btd itself doesn't even have that many lyrics. The bridge is literally the same lyrics as the rest of it lol.

BTD is far more interesting. Has a beautifully written and worded chorus, unlike HM's lazily written chorus of the title repeated over and over again

Choruses on BTD are significantly better than those on UV and HM song. She's gotten so lazy with the repetition and choruses

One thing is sure, from the first sung letter of the first sung word, instantly, one knows it is Lana. And no matter what, it is nobody but Lana.

First, let's slow down with the Dylan comparisons. Lana is instantly recognizable I give you that and it's an interesting way to define authenticity. Lana is a capable lyricist but to me she seems stuck in emotional frame that she cannot escape and hence she keeps repeating herself. I feel that her emotions are true, the melancoly in her voice is authentic but the lyrics falls short in conveying that sometimes (HM). If you have obsessive thoughts it's not allways a good thing to put your stream of consciousness in lyrical form, you become quickly repetitive. You have to be a lyrical genius to make the same emotions lyrically interesting every time. She said about HM that encapsulates the things that comes naturally to her, maybe she arrived at the point when she needs some help and she could cowrite the lyrics with someone close to her with talent (like Franco). But I still have hope that the rest of the album is better lyrically than HM

BTD is far more interesting. Has a beautifully written and worded chorus, unlike HM's lazily written chorus of the title repeated over and over again

Choruses on BTD are significantly better than those on UV and HM song. She's gotten so lazy with the repetition and choruses

Why does everyone associate repetitive choruses with laziness? The way I see it, she has moved away from simply telling stories to capturing a specific moment/idea/atmosphere. It doesn't have to be a bad thing.

I am so pleased once again it sounds like she has consciously tried to do something different. I love the fact that she does kind of stay in the same realm but she stretches that pretty much as far as it can go, I mean she is the most streamed female in the US and she is making music like this!! That to me shows she really has integrity

Honeymoon really emulates an air of Billie Holiday to me, the twisted undertone to the song is really interesting. Even in this love song there are really gloomy strings which sound like they belong in a 1950s horror movie score, and each vocal and breath is so considered, a polar opposite to a track like Pretty When You Cry. Her description of late night drives has me really excited, and I love how she has been updating on info through the honeymoon instagram account. and her face is just flawless in the short clip at the beginning.

As far as the lyrics go, the vast majority of songs from the period she seems to be finding inspiration from really contain some lyrics that would be so laughable if sung today, I just think you have to listen without having a critical mind, we know she can write and I'm sure she will prove any doubters wrong in the other 13 tracks. Though personally I don't find any problems in the lyrics of Honeymoon.

Again her voice sounds so beautiful and she's using it in different ways, i'm excited to see whats next  :excited:  :excited:

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

and I just had another thought  :creep:

As Lana is so strongly connected to these buzzwords which go into her music or become album titles, I feel like that can be hindering to writing a song sometimes.

Like I was never a fan of the song Ultraviolence, I don't like the lyrics. it sounds like she named the album and THEN wrote a title track, so the song would kind of be limited to having to include that word or whatever and I feel like that is the same for Honeymoon. Born To Die was totally different as the song had already been written and all these other album titles were floating around her head, and that song is definitely one of her best. 

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey