Fusel

SONG PREMIERE: "Honeymoon"

I don't understand how anyone can say that Lana's music lacks experimentation or variation in sound. The lyrics might not differ much from album-to-album, but the sound definitely does. The main similarities I see rest in the natural evolution between LDR and BTD, which is ironic considering how often ignorant people try to say that she completely switched up her sound between the two albums.

LDR: Indie pop/indie rock

BTD and Paradise: Trip hop and baroque pop

Ultraviolence: Desert and psychedelic rock

Huntymoon: Jazz fusion? 

Why do you always do this? :deadbanana: Lol

Ok, it's the second time and I was doing it to prove a point :rip:

No no, I wasn't trying to offend you. It was just funny, you did like three or four times already! Lol, sorry

I lowkey feel like if this were an unreleased song or an outtake, y'all would've been like "YAAAASSS Lana this is ha best song in her entire discography, slaaay! this would have fit so well on (insert album name)." :sideeye:

I'm just teasing back :P

I love comparing the albums when we're anticipating a new one, haha.

Yeah me too!

Again, it was just funny. It's all ok

I want to love this song. Vocally is one of her best. But this is the first time when the lyrics are really bothering me in a Lana song. I hate the bridge where the bad boy caricature is so strong that nearly ruins the whole experience. After I listen to the bridge I feel a disconnect between the deep melancholy conveyed by the song and the caricatural lyrics. For a moment I thought that she's trolling but this would make no sense so I made up the idea that this is an obsessive dream of hers, to be a lover of some dangerous guy which is in the same time a lovable and a somewhat tragic figure in the jazz era. I can picture them in the little bullet car as they are speeding down the boulevard which she's dreaming of. But this dream (which may hide some deep insecurities which I can relate to) deserves such a beautifully crafted song and so heavenly vocals?

I totally agree with you about the disconnect between the bridge and the rest of the song. It is so disarming and incongruous. The bridge is cool, but just not on this song.

I want to love this song. Vocally is one of her best. But this is the first time when the lyrics are really bothering me in a Lana song. I hate the bridge where the bad boy caricature is so strong that nearly ruins the whole experience. After I listen to the bridge I feel a disconnect between the deep melancholy conveyed by the song and the caricatural lyrics. For a moment I thought that she's trolling but this would make no sense so I made up the idea that this is an obsessive dream of hers, to be a lover of some dangerous guy which is in the same time a lovable and a somewhat tragic figure in the jazz era. I can picture them in the little bullet car as they are speeding down the boulevard which she's dreaming of. But this dream (which may hide some deep insecurities which I can relate to) deserves such a beautifully crafted song and so heavenly vocals?

Lana often emphasizes the masculine/violent aspect of her lover and the feminine/submissive aspect of herself. She abstracts these aspects from the whole persons and creates a juxtaposition of archetypal masculinity and femininity that she yearns to integrate in a harmonious whole. I don't know if this reflects her own personal imbalance or simply her enjoyment of the sexual union, but her message also has a significance in a society that has repressed femininity by repressing women or by making everybody, men and women, more masculine in the sense of more individualistic, more rationalistic, less intuitive, and ultimately more materialistic and less spiritual. In this wider message she can be seen as a representation of the repressed Femininity itself that seeks to reunite with the reigning Masculinity, both on the level of society and on the level of the average person. 

Watching all our friends fall in and out of Old Paul's, this is my idea of fun

It's interesting- the media had about 500 articles on Honeymoon after it was released. 499 were positive.

One poster mentioned the one that was negative (and women in general are always put down in that publication, especially liberal women) and after vaguely admonishing that one bad

review, ran with the line in it about lyrics.

It's the old find something to be negative about and be negative about it the one in 500 times.

Instead of saying, wow, the press has been positive 499 out of 500 times

The constant is Lana. The song is instantly Lana. Which is what makes Lana Lana and not one of the 500 other artists one could be listening to but I don't want to,

but instead I listen to Lana because it is Lana.  (and I bet we hear 20 variations of Honeymoon by other artists in the next six months, by then Lana will be working on her next album, always one step ahead of the pack (as a unique talent always does.)

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

Lana often emphasizes the masculine/violent aspect of her lover and the feminine/submissive aspect of herself. She abstracts these aspects from the whole persons and creates a juxtaposition of archetypal masculinity and femininity that she yearns to integrate in a harmonious whole. I don't know if this reflects her own personal imbalance or simply her enjoyment of the sexual union, but her message also has a significance in a society that has repressed femininity by repressing women or by making everybody, men and women, more masculine in the sense of more individualistic, more rationalistic, less intuitive, and ultimately more materialistic and less spiritual. In this wider message she can be seen as a representation of the repressed Femininity itself that seeks to reunite with the reigning Masculinity, both on the level of society and on the level of the average person.

write my english essays for me oh my god

I don't think she's in the business of describing any human lovers at this point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bride_of_Christ

@
I don't find the bridge particularly jarring lyrics wise. Perhaps the most literal interpretation of the whole song is it's about a prostitute and a super(natural?) criminal who is super "elusive". The line "It's no wonder every man in town had neither fought nor found you", suggests white collar crime, not mafioso. Metaphorically, what is the song about, if anything?  A reconciliation between masculinity and femininity? IDK

Edit:
The second part of this post belongs in Lana Thoughts somewhere (but there was nothing there to cause me to vent it). So I decided to delete it here. I can't apologize for having the thoughts but will apologize for posting them here and hope they didn't offend anybody. First part of the post is still ok, imo.

I don't have a clue what you said, but look at Tropico, look at the lyrics of "Bel Air," and that has always been what she has really been about. The Metaphysical is unfashionable in a physical age. The Bride as spark of the World-Soul with her own dark son (see Hans Jonas, The Gnostic Religion). Guns and Roses. Los Angeles as the Underworld as Paradise through a glass darkly. While her lyrics and themes are repetitive, it is to a certain symbolic end.

To me, the song feels like a continuation of Ultraviolence (song). The object of her affection has a history of violence, but she's no longer scared despite the pain it causes. Maybe this is another chapter in her story of alcohol being her first love, maybe it's Jim and Caroline's story from the latter's perspective, or maybe Lana is just intrigued by film noir storylines. 

I don't understand how anyone can say that Lana's music lacks experimentation or variation in sound. The lyrics might not differ much from album-to-album, but the sound definitely does. The main similarities I see rest in the natural evolution between LDR and BTD, which is ironic considering how often ignorant people try to say that she completely switched up her sound between the two albums.

I have always said Lana is the perfect artist to sustain her sound yet still change the production of her albums enough to feel like they are actually all different in tone from each other. It may be subtle, but it's there. For me, each of her albums evokes very different sides to her and i usually don't listen to them all on shuffle, i actually need to be in the right mood for each one because they feel for the most part different to me.

I have to admit that I hadn't properly listened to Honeymoon until today. After a first listen when it was released I classified it as okay but nothing special. But now I gave it another try with my headphones on full volume and I actually think it's beautiful! I LOVE the strings so much, they remind me of something - I don't know what exactly but it makes me really sentimental in a weird way. And the vocal layering in the chorus is so heavenly. Tbh I'm quite surprised that I like it but I did have extremely low expectations for HM so maybe that's the reason.

Now I'm officially excited for the album - finally. :excited:

lana_takeitoff_notxb4uwe.gif