Fusel

SONG PREMIERE: "Honeymoon"

I just really wish David Lynch hears this soon! He would totally love it!!  Twin Peaks is filming soon and ever since i read he likes her I've dreamt he would hook up with her for a project. Would be a dream come true for her to do songs for Twin Peaks and also actually perform them on the show ala Julee Cruise!! The instrumental, her voice and delivery are total noir, dark, mysterious, love it so much! 

Someone nay have said this already, but I do not feel as if we give Lana enough credit as a lyrical savant. I honestly believe there is a reason she repeats the same phrases continuously throughout the song. There has to be. Lana has been giving us self written songs for eons now, so at this point she must know what she is doing when she presents us something like this, which seems so simple on the surface as it relates to the lyrics but is really quite methodical. Maybe it is, as I believe someone else said, that she wanted the emphasis to be on the production, the goddess vocal execution.

Eh, I view it as laziness. UV has some of Lana's work choruses ever.

Sad Girl is downright embarrassing (makes me a sad sad girl x2 and followed by 5 or 6 slurring of "Ima sad girl, bad girl" or whatever. Guns and roses has lovely verses but laZy ass chorus.

Either way, it's a matter of opinion. Some find repetetive songs catchy!

Eh, I view it as laziness. UV has some of Lana's work choruses ever.

Sad Girl is downright embarrassing (makes me a sad sad girl x2 and followed by 5 or 6 slurring of "Ima sad girl, bad girl" or whatever. Guns and roses has lovely verses but laZy ass chorus.

Either way, it's a matter of opinion. Some find repetetive songs catchy!

G&R is not part of the album tbh

Everything in GR is good except the chorus which ruins it...but i always have "motorcycle love divineee" and "heavy metal love of mine" stuck in my head

its true but the album ends on TOW, the other are for sells like Lana said lol

There's more to it than just the repetitiveness, as that is not something that is new to Lana (so I don't think she's any more lazy than she ever was). If anything, the wordy choruses are more of an anomaly than normal among her released work.

Sometimes she can make it work. AKA, for example. No one would dare call AKA repetitive the way they do UV, but think about it.... 

"I'm in love with a dying man

I'm in love with a dying man
I'm in love lying in the sand
I have done everything I can"

"Do you wanna jump, jump, jump?

Do you wanna jump, jump, jump?

Do you wanna jump, jump, jump?

Do you, do you wanna?"

"Ray-ray-ray-raise me up

Ray-raise me up

Ray-ray-ray-raise me up

Ray-raise me up"

All of Brite Lites, Put Me in a Movie

"Let me put on a show for you, daddy

Let me put on a show
Let me put on a show for you, tiger
Let me put on a show"

Paradise had:

"I just ride

Just ride

I just ride

Just ride"

​"Like an American

Like an American"

"I sing the body electric

I sing the body electric, baby
I sing the body electric
I sing the body electric
Sing that body electric, sing that body electric
I'm on fire, sing that body electric"

Burning Desire in all it's repetitive glory.

I don't know why exactly UV's choruses sound so much worse than these. I'm not worried about HM's choruses being repetitive if she can somehow do so in a way that isn't tiresome like UV was.

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

Why does everyone who says the chorus lyrics to Sad Girl are repetitive refuse to acknowledge the actual beginning of the chorus?

"He's got the fire and he walks with it

He's got the fire and he talks with it

His bonny on the side, bonny on the side

Makes me a sad, sad girl

His money on the side, money on the side

Makes me a sad, sad girl"

The whole chorus isn't just 'I'm a sad/bad girl'

I'm still in a weird place with Honeymoon. I like the song but something about it is off to me which is strange because its usually Lana's music like this that I really fall in love with. I'm not a huge fan of the lyrics - I actually liked them more just on paper than in the song which never really happens with me. It's just kind of a pretty song and thats it. I'm still excited for the rest though.

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

I love some of the lyrics (bridge-end, particularly) and the chorus actually works much better in song than on paper, but she's really gotta start expanding from the "being in love with a bad boy" trope. Maybe it would work as a concept album with a storyline, but I'm really hoping it's just an intro track and she covers new topics throughout. She promised that the album would be surrealist and less "autobiographical and heavy" than her previous work.

I will say that it's a much more nuanced portrayal of the bad boy vignette, however. "Dark blue" makes me think of bruises, there's self-deprecation, and I love the contrast of the two streets she mentions. The gun and fire metaphors are getting old.

I love some of the lyrics (bridge-end, particularly) and the chorus actually works much better in song than on paper, but she's really gotta start expanding from the "being in love with a bad boy" trope. Maybe it would work as a concept album with a storyline, but I'm really hoping it's just an intro track and she covers new topics throughout. She promised that the album would be surrealist and less "autobiographical and heavy" than her previous work.

I will say that it's a much more nuanced portrayal of the bad boy vignette, however. "Dark blue" makes me think of bruises, there's self-deprecation, and I love the contrast of the two streets she mentions. The gun and fire metaphors are getting old.

where did she say it will be less autobiographical?

Demos_copy.png

where did she say it will be less autobiographical?

"I'm ready to go into more of a 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds' surrealist place," she told the Inquirer earlier this year, revealing that the record would be less "heavy and autobiographical" than its predecessors.

I want to love this song. Vocally is one of her best. But this is the first time when the lyrics are really bothering me in a Lana song. I hate the bridge where the bad boy caricature is so strong that nearly ruins the whole experience. After I listen to the bridge I feel a disconnect between the deep melancholy conveyed by the song and the caricatural lyrics. For a moment I thought that she's trolling but this would make no sense so I made up the idea that this is an obsessive dream of hers, to be a lover of some dangerous guy which is in the same time a lovable and a somewhat tragic figure in the jazz era. I can picture them in the little bullet car as they are speeding down the boulevard which she's dreaming of. But this dream (which may hide some deep insecurities which I can relate to) deserves such a beautifully crafted song and so heavenly vocals?

Isabella Rossellini falling in love with Frank in Blue Velvet (and Isabella singing Blue Velvet in the movie)

Nobody more known to be dangerous than Frank in Blue Velvet which as said above was possibly all a dream and if not a road trip into hell then redemption

BTW- just by chance at the beach today, I saw the book front and back cover of "Rocket Boys" by Homer Hickman Jr. and I walked past it, then did a double take and walked back. Could this be the book she is reading? (The Movie was titled October Sky (which is all the letters of Rocket Boys jumbled up, and takes place I think if I recall the movie in the late 1950s early 1960s

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

Why does everyone who says the chorus to Sad Girl are repetitive refuse to acknowledge the actual beginning of the chorus?

"He's got the fire and he walks with it

He's got the fire and he talks with it

His bonny on the side, bonny on the side

Makes me a sad, sad girl

His money on the side, money on the side

Makes me a sad, sad girl"

The whole chorus isn't just 'I'm a sad/bad girl'

Fucking THANK YOU!!!!! The "I'm a sad girl" ain't part of the actual chorus.

Well, as far as her lyrics, what i think y'all tend to forget is how much into poetry Lana is. She's said she thinks of herself foremost as a writer and she loves poetry. Poetry is not a storytelling medium like novels or short stories, it's mostly about the aesthetic value and beauty and meanings of the words juxtaposed

Well, as far as her lyrics, what i think y'all tend to forget is how much into poetry Lana is. She's said she thinks of herself foremost as a writer and she loves poetry. Poetry is not a storytelling medium like novels or short stories, it's mostly about the aesthetic value and beauty and meanings of the words juxtaposed

This and Ultraviolence had that haunting, swaying at 2am, torch song feel so the repition felt appropriate.