sweetie

Promo Single: "Terrence Loves You"

they start with a melody where lanas vocals are very long and dreadful on verse 1 and verse 2 that goes for about 2 lines (strings play), then the next 2-4 lines (could be pre choruses but both have different lyrics) build up and the melody changes (guitars or other musical instruments come in and her vocals begin to stop being as dreadful and more alive and energetic) , then the choruses comes and theyr beautiful but both are very alike (very minimalist and cinematic, also very awkward and disjointed since an instrument will start like the guitar and itll play for 2 seconds then leave then come back and then leave) (both choruses woud be mainly cinematic strings, a couple of chords from a guitar and the same for the piano) and the bridges for both are the most alike, you could switch them and they would fit the other song, heavy drums and very dramatic (in both her voice is very drowned out and edited), and then the last chorus and the outros (both fade at the end mysteriously), hope i elaborated enough :kiss:

Oh I get it... but that has to do with the production itself rather than the structure. There's a lot going on in TLY I wouldn't call it minimalist tho

Not much I can say since this is a matter of opinion. I think the songs are beautifully crafted and quite different from eachother, although I get that disjointed feeling that you mention during the chorus-bridge transition in TLY for example.

ZmJh1LG.jpg

The bridge and the chorus after it sound so beautiful, so ethereal. I only wish the rest of the production had more prominent instrumentals, TLY would have sounded 100% perfect

OoWc9Ul.gif

This has to be my favorite of the releases so far. I've always enjoyed these kind of jazz-influenced/alt tracks more than her catcher stuff. She really has a knack for creating these sultry/dreamy atmospheres with some of her slower songs. Honeymoon had only a couple of listens from me and I like the High By the Beach music video more than the song itself.

I've always been a very melancholic kind of person and I think this is what she is going for on the new album. The mood seems to be more of the focus here rather than lyrics and structure, something that I feel was not concentrated on her other albums. It's what I like to call "solitary music". Music that just fits the contentment of being alone. Music that you want to play when you're at the beach or laying under a tree or riding on the bus through the city. Sometimes it's just nice to take a walk or go somewhere to be alone and....think about things. Maybe that's what she going for. Or maybe not. It works for me that way, at least.

Anyway. I think it's pretty clear that she's not reverting back to her Born to Die sound. I feel like there was so much influence from the label during that time than Lana herself. I mean that whole marketing was so overblown and I think she kind of got tired of that, hence her more stripped back appeal now in both image and music. Even the album itself with it's pop appeal was largely because of the label. Paradise showed hints of that departure. Both Ultraviolence and the songs of Honeymoon show that she has more creative leeway than before. She's handling the promotion herself - which she doesn't seem to mind. I think there's less distraction from people who were trying to polish her and she's more comfortable doing what she is doing. And I think regardless of the polarizing reaction to her recent material, she'll still continue doing what SHE wants to do. If she can get through the slew of criticism from journalists than she can get through the criticisms from her fans just fine. 

So Terrence is David Bowie (nee:Jones) brother who inspired David to get into beat poetry and beat authors and American rock and roll

and who was schizophrenic (double personality) and hospitalized around 1970 and who committed suicide in the mid 1980 jumping in front of a train.

The song makes now, total sense.

Cooler than cool.

Elizabeth Grant's mind is like a walking encyclopedia

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

I love how this is her first [explicit] Bowie reference and some people on here already came to conclusion she knows his entire life story :toofunny: I'm not saying it couldn't be true - but sistrens... it's just one line

What is this supposed to prove?

It's great that Lana referenced Space Oddity but c'mon y'all are trying too hard to find connections between Bowie and Lana

No idea. But "Terrence" being Terry makes a lot of sense, that's all.

The song TLY seems to take its thematic cues more directly from Lana's "Without You" though, like it's the sequel

No idea. But "Terrence" being Terry makes a lot of sense, that's all.

The song TLY seems to take its thematic cues more directly from Lana's "Without You" though, like it's the sequel

I think the most feasbile thing here is that Lana read a book about Bowie (didn't she say that she liked reading biographies about musicians?) and saw Terry being mentioned there, maybe his story touched her heart and she liked his name, so she just decided to use it as the name in the song's title

I'm wondering - and not to be snarky or mean, but genuinely wondering - if people who think this is boring or dull have ever really suffered a loss. Not just a breakup, but a true, tear-you-apart, knock-you-down, no light at the end of the tunnel kind of loss. Because I feel like anyone who has really experienced THAT kind of loss, or depression, will GET this song. It moves me so deeply, I can hardly bear it's beauty. Not boring at all. Slow does not equal boring, and I think that's something we tend to forget.

Not many people have actually suffered a loss.... Death usually doesn't touch people until they are later in life, at least the lucky ones. And it's good for them, but they will never know/never connect to certain Lana songs in a way that people who have truely suffered a loss do.

He loves me with every beat of his cocaine heart.

@@DeadAgainst-

not to mention High by the beach is a direct sequel reference to Put me in the movies (Little Girls) with the major word change in it

and Bowie and Lou Reed and Iggy Pop always were connected and Elizabeth has referenced Lou for years (and was going to record with him, touching down in NYC the almost exact hour he out of nowhere and unexpectly died before it happened. (Brooklyn Baby the most recent, of course the chorus of Born to die the song (Take a walk on the wide side) which of course is a Lou Reed line from "Walk on the wild side"

It has been what, 40 years since I last listened to the Bewlay Brothers song recently been listening to both Without You and Put me in the movies (not to mention Pawn shop) in the last month or so a lot of times.

Everything is connected. Like soul mates.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

@exoticnightshade-

Was much aware of Lizzy very early on in NYC, much prior to LDR -but further-

I myself had major health problems due to excess and 100% yes. 2011-2012 her music spoke to me and got me through ever since, inspired me, helped me during exercise in pool to,

The BPMs in songs like Video Games and others  is the exact same in swimming strokes (how many times one hands hits the water when swimming a lap), and other exercises in a pool.

and I never expected to hear an artist so in synch with me ever again. It has been basically since 1985 since the last artist.(PSBs, with the punk/new wave, especially the UK and NYC acts at CBGBs and Max's Kansas City, Kate Bush, Elton, the 1960s (and knowing and having seen Nina Simone in concert), and going back to learn about older artists and more older country music on top of that (Ride could be a song Johnny Cash or Merle Haggard could do)

And am someone who (not dropping names but), who has seen all of the artists Lana references in concert at the height of their popularity so know the references from when the artists released

the song they reference.

Knowing now about what Terence she is referencing puts a lot altogether in total focus. It's almost like a jigsaw puzzle being completed or the old tv game show "Concentration"

and put it all together and EG is the single most unique artist, major artist to show up in decades.

With far more variety than others who might have had one or two unbelievable singles. (and she writes it, she writes it, something Elvis and Sinatra never did)

Pretty sure the live version will sound more 'jazzy' y'all are so critical of everything just chill!!

and i don't get the honeymoon comparisons????????????????//// they sound completely different unless i'm deaf?

this song grew on me

I like TLY more than HM. It's definitely an upgrade compared to HM in every department, especially lyrically. In my opinion TLY is the best song so far from HM. I can listen to the lyrics now without getting upset about her fetish with abstract bad boys because I can picture the story as something related to her relationship with Barrie. This era is a roller-coaster for me so far