sweetie

Promo Single: "Terrence Loves You"

I guess the song gets better from the moment she sings "Ground control ..." but it does little to nothing to me, overall. 

As for anybody who's wondering how it's "jazzy", well I suppose you could say that the saxophone playing in the instrumental is pretty jazzy, although it's not omnipresent ...

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

I'm not overwhelmed by this song. It's nice and I like the beginning and the Major Tom-part. But apart from that it's just okay for me - sounds too much like Honeymoon. I'm just hoping the rest of the album will have some more upbeat moments.

I guess the song gets better from the moment she sings "Ground control ..." but it does little to nothing to me, overall. 

As for anybody who's wondering how it's "jazzy", well I suppose you could say that the saxophone playing in the instrumental is pretty jazzy, although it's not omnipresent ...

Poor Lana thinks adding some "Jazz elements" makes it Jazz. You need more sounds in the background to make it jazz.

Poor Lana thinks adding some "Jazz elements" makes it Jazz. You need more sounds in the background to make it jazz.

Yeah okay cool but she didn't say it's Jazz. The use of saxophone & the melody in the chorus definitely makes it "jazzy".

if i go into a music shop and pick up a saxophone [which i dont know how to play] and blow into it and make a stupid loud sound and say "i just played jazz", that doesnt mean its actually jazz just because i blew into a sax.

terrence isnt jazz. and if she thinks its jazz, shes been clearly getting too high by the beach too often x

I like it, but they need to mix her songs a lot better : production is real good, a lot of stuff is happening, but you can't hear a thing behind her moans and these loudass cheesy pianos. And everything is so, idk, shy and unfinished : the inaudible sax lasts for 2 seconds, song structure is the same as honeymoon... She should push her ideas to full realization, i mean it's as jazzy as ICF is. Still it's beautiful but not exciting for the moment.

For me, the rankings so far would be HM>HBTB>TLY.

She's mourning a dead jazz musician perhaps?  All in all, not horrible, but I'm comparing this to songs like Hollywood's Dead and On Our Way (yeah I know they were leaked, but Born to Die material has been "leaked" for some time now, and it's still on the charts).

While I understand why people like the Bowie reference, I'm wondering about the meaning of the reference. Previously I thought there was a Bowie reference in HM (the "dreaming away your life" part is similar to how Bowie ends the song If I'm Dreaming My Life), but I attributed this to a coincidence, as "life is a dream" thought is kind of common. Another ("post-modern"?) reference for me is to the Bond song from You Only Live Twice (sung by Jane Fonda). The initial part of the vocal melody in this song seems to overlap a couple of notes with part of the string-backing theme of that one, but then goes off into its own direction (of course). She does that kind of melodic (and lyrical) quoting a lot imo (e.g., the UV album has it in like 5 songs). Of course, this could just be the way my brain processes new music in terms of its music-consumption history (combined with the fact tonality is a limited resource).

As for the Jazz vs. not jazz issue. The only thing holding this song back from sounding like a jazz-era song, imo, is the absense of an instrumental interlude in the middle (e.g., piano and saxaphone duet, or she could have done some scatting with the instruments).

I like it, but they need to mix her songs a lot better : production is real good, a lot of stuff is happening, but you can't hear a thing behind her moans and these loudass cheesy pianos. And everything is so, idk, shy and unfinished : the inaudible sax lasts for 2 seconds, song structure is the same as honeymoon... She should push her ideas to full realization, i mean it's as jazzy as ICF is. Still it's beautiful but not exciting for the moment.

That drives me mad. In High By The Beach it's the same thing with the piano which lasts for like 1.5 seconds

if i go into a music shop and pick up a saxophone [which i dont know how to play] and blow into it and make a stupid loud sound and say "i just played jazz", that doesnt mean its actually jazz just because i blew into a sax. terrence isnt jazz. and if she thinks its jazz, shes been clearly getting too high by the beach too often x

she said jazzy, not jazz. The song is not jazz at all but it has some jazzy influences

Meh I don't like this song. It's kind of tuneless and doesn't have a memorable melody imo. I also don't like the stripped production that much. Rick Nowels can do much better. I'm actually really disappointed right now. :(

Lyrically this song is one of her best ever! But the melody is just all over the place and I hate that it's nearly acapella. The production in Lana's songs was what made them even better and now the production is extremely weak on all the tracks. I hope you guys don't get mad at me for being so negative but I'm really not feeling anything from this album so far.

sioeQ.jpg

I am so in love with this song! It's so breathtakingly beautiful!

When I close my eyes and listen to it I keep seeing jellyfish floating in a moonlit sea, it's such a tranquil experience!

And yes, the Major Tom part is SO good! I love how achingly longing she is when she sings those lines!

This song is my favourite from Honeymoon so far!

I can see why some people don't like it, I mean everyone has different tastes! But I'm looking forward to the variety of songs, from HBTB kinda songs to TLY kinda songs, I'm just really excited for the album!!

tumblr_oq0kv3RGWK1r4igkto2_540.jpg

The guitars in the beginning are a nice start imo but when her angelic voice apeared I was like  :oprah:  she sounds SO hauntingly beautiful in this song !! Seriously, when she sang I lost myself when I lost you I had goosebumps all over my body and I remembered why I once fell in love with Lana. :crying5: The bridge was also absolutely pretty.

However, I strongly dislike the vocal layer parts in the chorus, it just sounds odd and random. And it is such a huge waste that they didn't make some instruments last longer than 2 seconds.

TLY is really beautiful but I'm not quite sure if it won't lose its magic sooner or later for me...

lana-del-rey-high-by-the-beach_zpscfcsgx