sweetie

Promo Single: "Terrence Loves You"

I'm wondering - and not to be snarky or mean, but genuinely wondering - if people who think this is boring or dull have ever really suffered a loss. Not just a breakup, but a true, tear-you-apart, knock-you-down, no light at the end of the tunnel kind of loss.  Because I feel like anyone who has really experienced THAT kind of loss, or depression, will GET this song. It moves me so deeply, I can hardly bear it's beauty. Not boring at all. Slow does not equal boring, and I think that's something we tend to forget. 

I definitely know what you are talking about. That song is full of themes of loss. I kind of tear up a bit when she says 'I lost myself when I lost you'. Reminds me of the time I lost someone very important and dear to me.. sigh

After several listens, I'm in love with this song. I like it much better than Honeymoon

tumblr_mwp2g0tk9a1rj6peio4_500.gif

I am so fucking in love with this song. I love how minimalistic and modestly jazzy it is. I noticed a lot of people also pointed out the faint high pitch in the background. I know not a lot of people are into it, but it reminds me of something like feedback noise from a kind of radio comminications device that's trying to tune into a dead channel. I don't really know how to explain it better than that, but there's just something about that idea that makes me enjoy it.

Those high pitched noises mixed with the whole production are so future-retro, they add a very cool vibe to the song, imo. I love this, it's the best track we've got so far from Honeymoon, it's very emotional, so excited for this album so far, haven't been disappointed yet.  :defeated:  :excited:

QVi1xFV.gifDrH6LWV.gif0FHXTOj.gif

I definitely know what you are talking about. That song is full of themes of loss. I kind of tear up a bit when she says 'I lost myself when I lost you'. Reminds me of the time I lost someone very important and dear to me.. sigh

After several listens, I'm in love with this song. I like it much better than Honeymoon

I also agree. It's not a breakup song. It's a song about soul crushing loss. "I lost myself when I lost you" it just sounds more like an altered sense of being, something that you can never get back. Like death, like the all-encompassing darkness of depression, like the total isolation that results from those things. And it's not just the lyrics or anything, the whole song is just put together really well.

tZ7WN4B.gif

I'm wondering - and not to be snarky or mean, but genuinely wondering - if people who think this is boring or dull have ever really suffered a loss. Not just a breakup, but a true, tear-you-apart, knock-you-down, no light at the end of the tunnel kind of loss.  Because I feel like anyone who has really experienced THAT kind of loss, or depression, will GET this song. It moves me so deeply, I can hardly bear it's beauty. Not boring at all. Slow does not equal boring, and I think that's something we tend to forget. 

Hm. I think you are kind of right. I also don't think it's "just" about the end of a relationship, like a general break-up.

The "I lost myself when i lost you" sounds like it's really a heavy loss and the bridge, which seems like she tries to "reach" someone who's lost, like the ground control is trying to reach Major Tom. Another hearbreaking part is "I don't matter to anyone", like she would have lost the only person who really mattered to herself and who helped her getting over problems with other people/feeling lonely.

BUT I don't think it's a seperation because the other person died. The "you are who you are" and "I won't change you" parts wouldn't make sense in this case.

If we assume Terrence is really supposed to be influenced by Terry Bowie, could this mean the person in the song lost someone to a mental illness?

This would explain why you have to deal with the fact that you maybe can't change the person back to who he/she was before and why you would try to "reach" them like you try to reach someone who's far away. Still getting trashed when she hears his tunes would mean she remembers him like he was before, doing things he did before the illness.

This would make the title"Terrence Loves You" seem even more heartbreaking, since it would be kind of something someone says to a relative/partner of a mentally ill person. "He's not the way he was, but he still loves you!"

BTW I love how the song, even though it has some really sad lyrics, doesn't actually sound like a dramatic sad song and has these jazzy saxophone-lines and guitar-strings.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

I also agree. It's not a breakup song. It's a song about soul crushing loss. "I lost myself when I lost you" it just sounds more like an altered sense of being, something that you can never get back. Like death, like the all-encompassing darkness of depression, like the total isolation that results from those things. And it's not just the lyrics or anything, the whole song is just put together really well.

For sure it doesn't sound like a break up song. It's a very sad song. The song is very atmospheric even with its minimalism. 

tumblr_mwp2g0tk9a1rj6peio4_500.gif

I played TLY for my friend and work (even though he's told me many times that he doesn't really like Lana or her voice but thinks Video Games is "a solid song"), and he said that he actually thought it was pretty good. 

Then I told him I was so happy and he was like "this is old Lana though right?"...and I was like NO THIS IS NEW LANA YAAAASSSS QUEEN SNATCH ALL THE WEAVES AND GAIN THOSE NEW FANS!!!!

He's not really a new fan but I am still excited.