annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

Just finished listening to the album and it's pretty good but not as good as Ultraviolence.

Fave songs: Honeymoon (omg it sounded heavenly on my headphones), MTWBT, HBTB, Art Deco, Salvatore

Songs that didn't appeal to me at all: 24, DLMBM

Swan Song drags on too long. But I love how Freak, Art Deco, Burnt Norton, Religion and Salvatore flow into each other. Salvatore sounds much better on Spotify than it did on BBC. Freak sounds amazing at parts too but in general there's something missing that would make it extraordinary

I laughed so hard watching this! best laugh of the week. :thumb3:

But I also see truth in what he says. Like it or not, even tho, many of us love the new album, I'm starting to think

it will be received that way by alot of people. it doesn't have to change our opinion on it, but it is slow slow slow

and the cohesion.. Hmmm.. i'll listen to it for a month and then see if i feel the same. Me personally, i like slow and simmering,

but not for an entire album. Alot of other artists release stuff like this, so i dont see why the big deal with Lana doing it,

guess the previous era's cohesive hits have had there effect. We'll see how things go the next month or 2.

I really wonder what next years concert setlist will be. :smokes2:

If I'm being honest, I don't think Jon from ARTV disliked HM that much. He gave UV a 3.5 and HM a 1.5. Yeah, the albums are different but they're not so different that he hates one waaaay more than the other. Pretty sure he jumped on the hate bandwagon when he saw how much his buddy Anthony Fantano (the Internet's busiest music nerd) hated UV. And he gave BADLANDS and Cry Baby higher scores than HM.

Just listened to DLMBM on Spotify and I really don't get the hate. Like, at all. It's a beautiful way to end the album and I love the minimal production

I won't say that this album hasn't put me to sleep (especially Terrence Loves You), but as a person who really has trouble sleeping, I think it's a blessing, and it's one reason why I appreciate Terrence Loves You (and the rest of the album) so much because it allows you to drift away yet if I were fully awake I could listen to it regularly and still enjoy it.

The record is growing on me. It's not something which you would immediately love first time when you hear it. I really like all tracks (except "24", I don't really feel it) - some more, some less. I don't know if it's just me, but I don't really see connection of the promotional/regular singles with rest of the album. They just don't fit the album. It's like 2 different directions on one album.

Just finished listening to the album in its entirety and I think God Knows I Tried is the standout song, a true masterpiece and already one of my favourite Lana songs ever. I can't express how much I love this song - I have goosebumps every single time I listen to it. My second favourite song is still Salvatore, though I love the dovetailed Freak and Art Deco (although when I heard Freak in full after obsessing over the snippet it was not what I was expecting at all). Love the Billie line in The Blackest Day. I know Honeymoon and Terrence Loves You aren't that popular but I think they are two of the best songs on the album. I think 24 is the worst song on the album, I have listened to it a few times now and I can barely get through it. I don't know what it is about it that I don't like but I feel like the album would be better without it. I agree with those who have said Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood is disappointing, I was so looking forward to this but it seems somehow hollow. I don't think the problem is Lana sounding emotionless, because I think she sounds rather emotionless on Music to Watch Boys To and yet I still really enjoy that song. Initially on Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood what was most jarring to me was the fact that the whole vibe seems skewed (odd consisting it's a jazz song and Lana aspires to that sound so much). Of course, perhaps I am comparing it to the original too much but with The Other Woman I loved the original and still thought Lana's rendition was beautiful. For me the worst final song of all of Lana's albums. I prefer the first half of the album with the exception of Salvatore.

Honeymoon have some of her best songwriting and songs ever - Salvatore, The Blackest Day, Religion stand out the most for me. But does compensate  the lows? When I listened a couple of songs I do think it did but when I played from start to finish I admit that the album it's a bit tiresome. Mostly because of the first part of the record - Honeymoon, MTBT, TLY  drag the whole vibe of the record and when it finally gets better - from Freak & Art Deco - she decided to put an interlude which is really weird because it feels like an anti-climax. Then the Holy Trinity comes on - Religion, Salvatore and tHE Blackest Day and it makes you feel in trance but she unfortunately doesn't stop there and continues with 24, Swan Song and DLMBM and (again) it feels like an anti-climax.