annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

I'm weird. I think it's because I was SO excited and looking forward and it was all so unexpected and better than I thought that I'm just having the low after the high. I'm really depressed too. I'm still excited about MTWBT video but idk with her sales dropping and all, I have this super nasty feeling that the era is fading away. Blah I won't post anymore

Album eras are not really that exciting while they're happening. Lots of people mention everything she did with Born to Die but when the era was happening (for me) it was like 'yasss video coming in 2 weeks' *video release* *single flops* 'cool a new photoshoot!' *two months later* 'yasss new video'. :toofunny: I think you expected something different for your first album era. :P

I think this album has some of the best songs she's ever done, but I think UV as a whole is better just because it's more cohesive. Some of the songs on Honeymoon don't seem like they should be on the same project. Like Salvatore is pretty different from everything else. MTWBT, Religion, Freak, Art Deco, and HBTB definitely feel like they should be on the same album. Terrance Loves You and The Blackest Day match each other too. Honeymoon doesn't really feel like it goes with anything else on the album.

149o3h3.jpg

Well, the concept behind Tori's record is that all the songs live in that hotel, like female characters, see this picture from 1998 491738298_8cfbab0a3f_o.jpg

To compare Tori during her peak and Lana is not really fair. Tori was really good back then, she sucks for over a decade now, though. Artistically, she was on a whole nother level than Lana. However, the only downside with this album is that when it comes to lyrics UV had more interesting takes than HM. Especially songs that didn't quite make the record like Flipside and Is This Happiness. And the latter could have easily been an old Tori Amos song, let's be honest.

Those were the days... The Choirgirl Hotel. Amazing. Things went to hell after Scarlet's Walk. I agree with what you said.

I don't know why I am so surprised at how "Honeymoon" has moved me. It is, in my opinion, the best album Lana has released, and rightfilly so. It is only right that the music grows with the artist. I thought "Ultraviolence" was dark, introspective, and chillingly deep, but Lana has reached a new level of morbidity here. My favorite tracks are "Freak" because she gives me coked out hippie chick teas, "The Darkest Day," particularly the bit about the blue nail polish, thr Shania Twain twang, and those "Oh my god" s during the hook, which capture the desolation the song conveys wonderfully and richly, "Art Deco" for its alternative hip hop meshed tea, and "God Knows I Tried." This album has solidified my status as a fan of Lana's work. I will never understand how she produces music that is the soundtrack to my life. She is a truly fierce b*tch.

You guys, I have an annoying fear.

I'm worried that when the tour comes, she will absolutely not change it up at all, and will keep singing the same old song with maybe cutting Ride and Blue Jeans and she will mostly only sing TLY, Honeymoon and High By the Beach from this album. It bothers me that if this happened, it wouldn't surprise me at all. I want her to sing more of her new songs regularly like Religion, Salvatore and Art Deco but I honestly don't know if she will. :ohno:

I don't know why I am so surprised at how "Honeymoon" has moved me. It is, in my opinion, the best album Lana has released, and rightfilly so. It is only right that the music grows with the artist. I thought "Ultraviolence" was dark, introspective, and chillingly deep, but Lana has reached a new level of morbidity here. My favorite tracks are "Freak" because she gives me coked out hippie chick teas, "The Darkest Day," particularly the bit about the blue nail polish, thr Shania Twain twang, and those "Oh my god" s during the hook, which capture the desolation the song conveys wonderfully and richly, "Art Deco" for its alternative hip hop meshed tea, and "God Knows I Tried." This album has solidified my status as a fan of Lana's work. I will never understand how she produces music that is the soundtrack to my life. She is a truly fierce b*tch.

It's actually The Blackes Day, not The Darkest Day.

You guys, I have an annoying fear.

I'm worried that when the tour comes, she will absolutely not change it up at all, and will keep singing the same old song with maybe cutting Ride and Blue Jeans and she will mostly only sing TLY, Honeymoon and High By the Beach from this album. It bothers me that if this happened, it wouldn't surprise me at all. I want her to sing more of her new songs regularly like Religion, Salvatore and Art Deco but I honestly don't know if she will. :ohno:

She could also do faster versions of HM songs (MTWBT, Art Deco, GKIT), you never know. I for one also hope she does more of her leaks/AKA work in concert. My main criticism of her as an artist is that she's too inhibited about what she considers her good work.

to those mentioning the great Tori Amos- just to put things in perspective, and to relate it to charts/sales from debut week- Talking about USA charts/sales here-

In the 1990s, where sales were far bigger over all than today, (the USA top 10 on most weeks then would be #1 on 3/4 of the weeks of the year now.)

Tori's best opening week was 153,000 sold.

Tori is very similar to Lana in singles- (Lana actually has higher numbers)

here are the numbers of all of Tori's singles that charted in the Hot 100 and the Bubbling Under charts (which is #101 to up to 125)-

singles-

22, 38, 48, 49, 54, 60,65, 72, 91 (so there are nine hot 100)

107,108,112,114,119,120(bubbling under)

total of fifteen singles to chart  (Lana is up to I think 11 and she had a top 10.)

albums-regular albums that charted-

y kant tori read (no)

54-12-2-5-12-4-7-5-5-9-66-24-63-7

compilations- three different, one charted at #40

live one of two  charted at 12

eps one of five charted at 94

as one can see, Lana has a #1, #2, #10 paradise, #20 ep and Honeymoon

two great unique individuals and important trend setting artists, with similar chart stats

Tori, in an age when it was far, far easier to amass gold and platinum due to actual go into the stores and buy the album

btw-I have a feeling the record biz will change the rules of gold and platinum to deal with the lesser sales like they have adjusted many times in the past.

I have a feeling it will be retroactive to 2010, and allow re-submission and might be as low as

25,000 for a gold in the US

and

50,000 for a platinum.

The RIAA has done it many times in the past.

kudos to Tori and Lana.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

concerts-

most artists that have lots of material, only play 2-5 new songs in each different show.

If Lana didn't sing the 10 biggest songs, people complain.

Remember, most people don't go to many shows, and pay to see the biggest hits.

Something all the superstars in the past faced.

Elton John and a select few others adapted a concept where they just added 45 minutes to special shows and played an entire album in the middle of the greatest hits show when a new album is

released, or its a special anniversary

To do that, Lana would have to add more time to the show

(If she goes back to Governor's ball and is on the main stage this time, she would have to play at least 30 additional minutes as the main stage was 2 hours not 90 minutes.

Same in regular shows

However-that would entail higher ticket prices (Lana's are relatively cheap).

I myself would love to hear a one-off that is filmed with full orchestra and choir or backup singers and record Honeymoon in its entirety and then release it officially as a DVD/CD package.

(and then go back and do such with all her stuff, but really, that is asking for too much.

Harry Chapin at Lincoln Center in NYC one year, did a series of concerts where he played everything he had, A to Z. (or something like that). Each fan of course had to go every night to see the whole

thing, and it was not filmed nor released. A long, long time ago. (think it was late 1970s).

I would love to hear Salvatore in concert. More and more, this song reminds me of "Dance me to the end of time" that Leonard Cohen did (see on youtube the one where they put a couple up

who aged at the end, and there is also a Scent of a woman(Al Pacino) video with the music.

And I could also picture Salvatore in a new movie.

two thoughts about the song - Lana reminds me of the girl Miriam (Guy's wife whom he wanted to divorce)(actress Laura Elliott who later was known as Kacey Rogers and was on Bewitched) from Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train who is with some friends and is followed by Bruno Anthony, and she buys an ice cream cone (soft ice cream) and seductively looks back at him as he follows her  in the amusement park ignoring the boys she is with, while licking the ice cream cone. (or one can picture Sophia Loren doing the same thing).

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

concerts-

most artists that have lots of material, only play 2-5 new songs in each different show.

If Lana didn't sing the 10 biggest songs, people complain.

Remember, most people don't go to many shows, and pay to see the biggest hits.

Something all the superstars in the past faced.

Elton John and a select few others adapted a concept where they just added 45 minutes to special shows and played an entire album in the middle of the greatest hits show when a new album is

released, or its a special anniversary

To do that, Lana would have to add more time to the show

(If she goes back to Governor's ball and is on the main stage this time, she would have to play at least 30 additional minutes as the main stage was 2 hours not 90 minutes.

Same in regular shows

However-that would entail higher ticket prices (Lana's are relatively cheap).

I myself would love to hear a one-off that is filmed with full orchestra and choir or backup singers and record Honeymoon in its entirety and then release it officially as a DVD/CD package.

(and then go back and do such with all her stuff, but really, that is asking for too much.

Harry Chapin at Lincoln Center in NYC one year, did a series of concerts where he played everything he had, A to Z. (or something like that). Each fan of course had to go every night to see the whole

thing, and it was not filmed nor released. A long, long time ago. (think it was late 1970s).

I would love to hear Salvatore in concert. More and more, this song reminds me of "Dance me to the end of time" that Leonard Cohen did (see on youtube the one where they put a couple up

who aged at the end, and there is also a Scent of a woman(Al Pacino) video with the music.

And I could also picture Salvatore in a new movie.

two thoughts about the song - Lana reminds me of the girl Miriam (Guy's wife whom he wanted to divorce)(actress Laura Elliott who later was known as Kacey Rogers and was on Bewitched) from Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train who is with some friends and is followed by Bruno Anthony, and she buys an ice cream cone (soft ice cream) and seductively looks back at him as he follows her  in the amusement park ignoring the boys she is with, while licking the ice cream cone. (or one can picture Sophia Loren doing the same thing).

what....

@electricbody-

those with enquiring minds don't immediately insult someone when they are too intellectually lazy to  go and have a look-see

google is your friend

If someone posts a comment, and I have no clue, I research and look.

As my favorite librarian said to me back in the 1960s, there are no stupid questions.

google

Miriam and Bruno from

strangers on a train

scene-

amusement park ice cream cone Miriam looks over shoulder licking the ice cream cone (soft ice cream)

hbhbhb- thanks for asking-

go to Wikipedia (wiki) www.wikipedia.org

enter

either Tori Amos

then on the main page, and when you get to the discography part, there is a link to show all releases

Tori Amos discography and they list all the chart numbers ( I was referencing the USA ones as I am from the USA and Billboard is the magazine that charts in the USA, but most include every nations chart numbers from whomever (radio station, other trade paper) supplies those charts)

That is the easiest way

This albums just sucks you in. There isn't a bad song on it. There are many highlights on the album, especially regarding the vocals and the production, but they rather occur in parts of several songs. I like this more than singling out some of the songs. I even made peace with HM the single but I would rather wanted her to end HM with SS.

On a critical note I think that she used to many cliche-isitic lyrical references and she needs to stop alluding to the critics because no one gives a fuck about what they are saying about her anymore and she looks on a defensive and trolling them.(That's why I don't really like the ending with DLMBM).

I feel that she's happy and energized compared with the UV era but she needs to perform boldly now because her commercial appeal is diminished and there are many new pretenders for her fandom waiting for her to fade. The songs are amazing and she needs to prove wrong all the "HM is boring" naysayers out there. The BBC performance was great (besides the HBTB part), but she needs to up her game regarding her performances. There is no excuse anymore for her to not perform anywhere Freak, Art Deco, The Blackest Day, Religion or GKIT because she's a 4 year veteran with many tours under her belt.