annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

Yeah I know, she is (or was) promoting Froot a lot actually. I meant more about after her tour. She's basically said she's done with music after this upcoming tour. Its hard seeing some people who really want to make a living from art because they truly love it barely getting by or not getting a chance at all and then seeing someone else who has everything they could want just throw it away because they are bored/lazy/whatever. I know its not fair to think that way at all because everyone has the right to do what makes them happy, but still. I realize in Marina's case its not a decision she is making lightly and she really does recognize she is lucky though. I think for her its more of a sense of fulfillment, that she got what she wanted form her career. But at the end of the day, she's still throwing something out that so many people would die to have.

Okay, I've really enjoyed just lurking in this and pre-release threads (latter was lots of fun and got me through several days of unpleasant illness). But here is where I can't stay silent, I'm afraid. I mean no personal attacks or arguments because I perfectly understand frustration. You really like/love someone's art and they prefer to go in hiding rather than share more of it with the world. I've been there. Really irritating, I know. 

But about that last sentence. I heard it before. I had a conversation with a middle-aged lady who really meant well. When she asked me whether I plan to have kids and I said "No," she basically answered with the same words. Being able to become a parent is such a precious opportunity, and many people would kill to have it but they can't have children for medical or financial or other reasons. And I "throw it away." I really do because I don't want to use it. Guess for some people it's the same with career/artistic opportunities. 

Does Lana effectively use all the opportunities she has? No. But who of us really do? After all, using opportunities is not an obligation, it's a choice. Talented people aren't obligated to use their talent to maximum just like fertile people aren't obligated to procreate. So while I understand and - to a degree - share frustration with Lana releasing an album with lots of potential and abandoning it when it could possibly grow into more interesting things and attract more people, I don't think even dedicated fans are in position to tell what Lana needs. We can only speculate about what we'd like her to do and how. Only Lana know what Lana needs and why she handles her career the way she does. 

Again, I'm not against criticism or pointing out obvious facts (like, lack of promotion hurts sales), but sometimes it almost sounds like some people believe that an artist has some sort of obligation to them or to the world in general. Since when? If they want to waste their talent, that's their choice and it's completely okay. 

On topic: though her releasing new album so soon after the last one made me have some doubt about its quality, and though nothing can replace UV as my favorite Lana's record, in the end I'm quite happy with Honeymoon. Despite having numerous flaws that were pointed out here several times already, it does offer something new, it's just as atmospheric as previous Lana's material, and for me it's strong enough to stand on its own, without any additional stuff like music videos. It's lush, it's heartfelt, it's unlike any other stuff being released nowadays, it even has some (intentionally or not) funny moments (seriously, I laughed several times during first listen). 

Okay, I've really enjoyed just lurking in this and pre-release threads (latter was lots of fun and got me through several days of unpleasant illness). But here is where I can't stay silent, I'm afraid. I mean no personal attacks or arguments because I perfectly understand frustration. You really like/love someone's art and they prefer to go in hiding rather than share more of it with the world. I've been there. Really irritating, I know. 

But about that last sentence. I heard it before. I had a conversation with a middle-aged lady who really meant well. When she asked me whether I plan to have kids and I said "No," she basically answered with the same words. Being able to become a parent is such a precious opportunity, and many people would kill to have it but they can't have children for medical or financial or other reasons. And I "throw it away." I really do because I don't want to use it. Guess for some people it's the same with career/artistic opportunities. 

Does Lana effectively use all the opportunities she has? No. But who of us really do? After all, using opportunities is not an obligation, it's a choice. Talented people aren't obligated to use their talent to maximum just like fertile people aren't obligated to procreate. So while I understand and - to a degree - share frustration with Lana releasing an album with lots of potential and abandoning it when it could possibly grow into more interesting things and attract more people, I don't think even dedicated fans are in position to tell what Lana needs. We can only speculate about what we'd like her to do and how. Only Lana know what Lana needs and why she handles her career the way she does. 

Again, I'm not against criticism or pointing out obvious facts (like, lack of promotion hurts sales), but sometimes it almost sounds like some people believe that an artist has some sort of obligation to them or to the world in general. Since when? If they want to waste their talent, that's their choice and it's completely okay. 

On topic: though her releasing new album so soon after the last one made me have some doubt about its quality, and though nothing can replace UV as my favorite Lana's record, in the end I'm quite happy with Honeymoon. Despite having numerous flaws that were pointed out here several times already, it does offer something new, it's just as atmospheric as previous Lana's material, and for me it's strong enough to stand on its own, without any additional stuff like music videos. It's lush, it's heartfelt, it's unlike any other stuff being released nowadays, it even has some (intentionally or not) funny moments (seriously, I laughed several times during first listen). 

Don't worry, I get all this. I completely understand its very selfish of me to say something like that. I would like to say though that I wasn't really talking about Lana and her lack of promotion when I said that, I was talking about another artist who is probably dropping music completely after her next tour because she's bored with it. I don't think I know what Lana (or the other artist) needs to do at all and I don't feel like either are obligated to give me anything. You probably don't know since you just lurk and I was being intentionally vague that myself and some others here are actively trying to make music careers for ourselves. Coming from that point of view is what makes it extra frustrating to see someone seemingly take it for granted that they have the ability to make music for a living, which is incredibly lucky. My frustration comes 100% from jealousy and I know this and know its not fair. But it doesn't stop me from wishing I even had that option to begin with.

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

Great post LynnLana

and to add-

Lana has now made 2 albums in a row that should be given Grammy's  for

Best album of year

Best producer of year

Best song of year

Best record of year

Best video of year

Best alternative record of the year

Best artist of the year

that Ultraviolence didn't, well, that is not her fault

She should have won the Oscar for

Young and Beautiful from Gatsby

and been nominated for

Big Eyes (although perhaps I can fly would have been better)

If the Oscars had a best adaptation of a song like they do for screenplay

Once upon a dream should have won

Lana should have won Best new artist back in 2012

Lana has been nominated for two grammys in the past (including Album of year for Paradise)

She owes nobody anything and she cannot in the least be called lazy.
Her family history alone, she is the prime caretaker for years of her two sibblings (not her parents, she is). That is a big responsiblity

Lana has even in this album continually stated she loves music and the creation of music, the studio, the production, the mixing

That is what an artiste does

Lana also has had addiction problems, and being out of ones home or hometown, the temptation to fall back is so much greater than without ones support family right there.

(I know when I myself go away like a few weeks ago when I went to Canada, it was 30 meals out, and 30 meals I overate, gaining like 10 pounds in 10 days that I have to work off and I am already working off other LOL)

Lana also has stated she likes the "collective artist" environment, a close bunch of people, writers, studio people, her band that she can always do something with.

Perhaps in the future she will hit upon  a place where she can play spur of the moment if she chose and people can come and see her in an informal setting.

or keep doing club dates

As she loves to be with the fans during the show in the front, a club situation is really a lot better than say Madison Square Garden where one isn't even seeing her, but watching the big screen.

She could always tweet that she is on the beach by the pier in Santa monica or at some coffee house in two hours and everyone in range can come and have an informal singalong or something

From all one reads, Lana looked very at ease talking to her fans in the meet and greets.

or she could just sit in her house and get high by the beach (which doesn't mean getting high by addictives either, it could as easily mean high on life, an affirmative saying

It's her life to do as she wishes.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

It's quite pointless to discuss what Lana owes her fans and what not.

In all seriousness, yes she can handle things the way she wants. She also has to live with the consequences.

We as fans also make decisions. The relation between star and fan is not a one-way road. Some of us will leave when just dropping an album is simply not enough. When there are no live performances and when there is no interaction, she can hardly expect to maintain her fanbase in solid numbers. Her decline is the biggest since she has appeared I have seen.

She wants things her way, but obviously it ain't working out for her.

And pls, don't post: Lana doesn't care about the charts and money!!!111! If she didn't, she would release her shit for free

Discussed thousands of times already, we as individual fans view it differently. And we have every right to do so.

leaked - she has done tours every single year

just did 3 signings where in NY she spent four hours

I think you never got enough hugs

either that or as you seem to know all the professional inside info, you are a record company pro one of those that from day one said all those negative things

me, I saw about 12 shows so far with more to come.

if you want to see her, just buy a ticket and go see her (or if you are pro, sure there are those insiders you know who will give you a freebee

So, how many shows did you catch on the Endless Summer tour? I cannot recall actually reading that you actually went to one.

and how much have you actually spent on purchases, instead of like your name implies, you want a leaked version that doesn't pay royalties to her, IMHO official releases that are leaked is outright theft

at least if one doesn't after purchase the whole album.

BTW, I just spent $250 on something signed by her (and gotta say, one has to be very careful as on ebay 95% of every item up today is an outright forgery)(note the number was random and approx.)

and no one said, are the orchestrations on youtube something she gets royalties on?

btw- 105,000 on day one shows there are more than enough fans 5 times over to keep going for 50 years. It only takes a few hundred in a dozen city to have a tour people would die to have

I bet David Johansen or Ritchie Ranno would sell their soul to sell 105,000 copies total combined of every single record they ever released in the last 40 years.

And both of them perform weekly.

again, you are correct. supporters come and go. Most singers are one hit wonders and never heard from again. Many go to real jobs because they thought of it as a meal ticket instead of an art.

and then there is for reference

Harry Chapin's song "Mr. Tanner"

I suggest you and everyone else listen to it.

That song says it all.

If Harry didn't die in a tragic car crash (had he acted like a star and had a limo or at least took a taxi, he would be alive today)but he was driving his little VW beetle, he would still be singing somewhere for 300 nights a year,

unless he was in political office, at which point, he still would most likely do 100 shows a year. 

besides, all Lana has to do is post a new audio everywhere without any record company or touring or anything

those that do, will listen

those that left, are irrelevant

There are like 7 BILLION people in the world. Most people never heard of anyone at all.

I bet Malala  Yousafzai would love if 105,000 people purchased her book and came out to her lectures and signings

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

I really keep coming back to Swan Song. It's the song I play the most.

Anybody else noticed how after the title track none of the songs really thematically belong on an album like Honeymoon (which doesn't make them bad, just to clarify), but after BN they do?

Am I alone in this?

I told everyone to give Swan Song another chance, and here it is - people finally realised the etheric vocals and the incredible chorus make for an incredible outcome. It's one of her better works of art, and to wrap it up with such a dark yet pleasing ending makes me deem it among the top songs from her.

obUZKpb.gif

Hopefully Freak or Art Deco or Salvatore. I mean those are the only songs that have some potential to be a really good single. 

I hope just hope Lana comes thru with at least one more video that's high quality  :pft:

those or Religion 

and i want a super video for TBD 

^^ Yes

ANYWAYS I'm pretty sure everything you people are arguing about has been addressed directly in the masterpiece that is "Swan Song"

hi DeadAgainst :) , whats your take on Swan Song? (if you dont mind explaining it..) nice to hear diff views on it..

(i had mentioned it may be about Lizzy and Lana talking to each other..)

hi DeadAgainst :) , whats your take on Swan Song? (if you dont mind explaining it..) nice to hear diff views on it..

(i had mentioned it may be about Lizzy and Lana talking to each other..)

Swan Song is about those days when you just wanna stay in, drink hot cocoa and snuggle with your man as opposed to going to work.

Basically, it proclaims the universal truth: every day should be like a weekend.