annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

I agree with the general consensus that she needs to challenge herself. As much as I admire her work and connect to her viewpoint more than most artists right now, there's something missing in her work ethic as an artist. Doesn't she want to grow? Learn a new instrument, try playing with new forms/elements of expression? Explore a new way of writing or singing? Learning to produce? Where's her hunger? It's like she's paralyzed in a very specific, very evocative spot creatively. She can go 'deeper and deeper' but she can't move PAST it. It feels like compulsion. It can be beautiful and compelling and euphoric when she gets it right, but I'm starting to wonder, like others, where it can go from here. Surely, this is some sort of finale.

For someone who has traveled much of the globe, she acts like no place exists but LA. For someone who claims to be a writer first, I sense no drive to push herself further, to become more nuanced, imaginative, precise. For someone who seems, at heart, mainly preoccupied with existential ponderings, she refuses to offer us a true peak into her intellect. She'd rather link to a famous philosopher's video than share her own opinion. Similar thoughts on why she covers Nina Simone and quotes TS Eliot on record — to add a weight her own work cannot provide yet.  For awhile, that evasion felt like mystique, now it's beginning to reek a bit of fear. She's managed to create a pseudo-reality for herself where she gets to play the frigid icon who never explains, but she's painted herself into corner, one where she cannot let loose and experiment and fuck up and be FREE. She professes her love of being WILD and FREE,  but she seems quite conservative and inhibited at the end of the day. I mean, the fact that she hates Thai food (and also "spicy and exotic" food) actually says a lot about her tolerance for 'openness to new experiences'. I maintain the belief that she's actually closer to Little Edie of Grey Gardens than Marilyn Monroe — a grandiose recluse. And that is fascinating. But there's many ways to create haunting art that deviates from the themes she's already worn thin. I'd like to see her explore her devout solipsism a new way. Or even better, let go of it, connect with the real world and join humanity. At some point, the bubble needs to burst.

Maybe she SHOULD start by traveling somewhere new. If she were in Seoul or Tokyo or Cairo, would she just shut her eyes to the present moment? Has anything new inspired her since she first started making music? She prides herself on 'always being inspired by the same few things,' but either her relationship to those things needs to change, or the actual content does. As beautiful and intriguing as Honeymoon is, it is safer than Ultraviolence, where she tried on new sounds, moods, perspectives, eras of living. Honeymoon all feels like a daydream of youth and romance long dead and gone. I'm okay with that, if it really IS the "swan song" for the Haunted Hollywood LDR. It's hard to tell where Lana's head is at now. On one level, she seems to be getting more metaphysical, on another, she seems to want to stick to shallow tropes. It's almost like she's afraid to show how smart she actually is. There's some vanity vs. intelligence schism within her that I've never understood, but seems to hold her back. It's always sad when women dumb themselves down, and the reasons are always rooted in fear of rejection.

TL;DR:

I get that she's aiming to be an Auteur, therefore consistent in her themes, but I mean, even Woody Allen eventually ventured outside of the neurotic tics of the Upper West Side....

Fantastic post!

I love Honeymoon, prefer UV and she said in that interview with The Weeknd that her tastes her changing, so her next album will probably change. I also don't hear the boredom people are talking about...although yes like you and others have said, so much of the same, same, same in her lyrics. She has said before how her influences haven't changed since she was 15. Jesus - I think she said that when she was like 28...

But while I love listening to what she says sometimes in her interviews, she is conformist yes. The conformity comes through in her solipsism, her problems with other women, thinking everything that happens to her is personal, her worshipping of men and stealing aspects of marginalised cultures, the latter also makes her boring. She makes up stories about her life--a lot of the things don't add up (I don't care tbh but to me it reinforces how probably normal and privileged her life is compared to the average person). 

I'm here for her and her music though. Good to see constructive criticism on this board.  

I love Honeymoon, prefer UV and she said in that interview with The Weeknd that her tastes her changing,

I'm here for her and her music though. Good to see constructive criticism on this board.

link to that interview anyone?

and i agree, there are many posts in here that are giving good well-thought out opinions, something I've been waiting to read here for a while.

link to that interview anyone?

and i agree, there are many posts in here that are giving good well-thought out opinions, something I've been waiting to read here for a while.

http://lanadelreyfixesme.tumblr.com/post/129280526586/abel-tesfaye-the-weeknd-interviewing-lana-del

Relevant bits:

ABEL: But one can still see your progress.

LANA: My taste is changing too. Nevertheless, I know exactly what I like, how it should sound and look.

ABEL: Is that the reason why you’re rarely working together with other artists?

LANA: I’m just very shy, which is why it’s difficult for me to approach people. With you it’s different: I love your voice and your talent to find a sudden melodic turn for each of your songs.

ABEL: You have always been working with different producers.

LANA: Yes, but that in a limited way. When I met my Producer Rick four years ago, I knew in that moment that we would be working together for a very long time. It just feels right. For my next album though I plan to open a up a little and work together with more people.

does this mean the next album is gonna be a whole other genre with many different producers??

Yes. She'll release a late 80s-inspired, Max Martin-produced pop record about the good things in life and love. It will sell around 8 million copies, becoming her best selling album to date. The single "Blank Mind" is about how her muse is very fickle. Then, she will disappear for a long, long time. 1985 is coming :oprah:

http://lanadelreyfixesme.tumblr.com/post/129280526586/abel-tesfaye-the-weeknd-interviewing-lana-del

Relevant bits:

ABEL: But one can still see your progress.

LANA: My taste is changing too. Nevertheless, I know exactly what I like, how it should sound and look.

ABEL: Is that the reason why you’re rarely working together with other artists?

LANA: I’m just very shy, which is why it’s difficult for me to approach people. With you it’s different: I love your voice and your talent to find a sudden melodic turn for each of your songs.

ABEL: You have always been working with different producers.

LANA: Yes, but that in a limited way. When I met my Producer Rick four years ago, I knew in that moment that we would be working together for a very long time. It just feels right. For my next album though I plan to open a up a little and work together with more people.

Nice interview with Abel, and it was posted 3 weeks ago! I think nobody mentioned it until now?  :O

2wn4whw.png