annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

Has anyone thought about the option that Art Deco may not talk about a specific but the song is about Lana herself?

I've thought that myself, and especially because she references the 'Why' that is the first thing she sings on her first (major label) release. It's possible she's talking to/about 2011 era Lana, before she became aware of what fame would actually look like (which she also talks about elsewhere in the record much more cynically/knowingly).

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

Has anyone thought about the option that Art Deco may not talk about a specific but the song is about Lana herself?

Check the Art Deco thread in Lyrics forum. I'm pretty sure there's discussion that way. In particular, I like the Carmen 2.0 hypothesis advanced there (Carmen == LDR's alcoholic phase).

I've thought that myself, and especially because she references the 'Why' that is the first thing she sings on her first (major label) release. It's possible she's talking to/about 2011 era Lana, before she became aware of what fame would actually look like (which she also talks about elsewhere in the record much more cynically/knowingly).

"there, but for the grace of god, go I"

Can someone explain how is Honeymoon like Born to Die? I don't see it at all ._.

Emphasis on strings (at times), trap beats sorta like hip hop, some sound samples (but more diverse and subdued than BTD), might be reasons. I also think what she's got on HM is more deserving of the descriptor Hollywood sadcore, which may be another reason. However, I agree that it should not have been characterized as more like BTD, as expectations would automatically be set really high for it. It is more filmic and noirish, and possibly closer to UV for that reason. A more interesting way to think about what HM might be like, is which of her leaks/unreleased could have been on it and still preserved its vibe. IMO, Pinup Galore, You and I, Never Let Me Go, Hollywood's Dead, and Heavy Hitter (which is lyrically like Honeymoon, the song, but more "fun").

Honeymoon (album) is so.. forgettable to me.
Like, I really like Religion, The Blackest Day, Art Deco, Freak, TLY, 24 etc etc but.. it just feels like its missing something, the whole album feels like its missing something and i can't put my finger on what it is