evilentity

"Boomerang" interview on France Inter radio

OKAY NEVERMIND ugh :icant: he talks superrrrrrr fast in some parts  :defeated:  i'm like "slow downnnnnnnn mon cheri, slow downs!" 

but here's what i have so far... 

i'm not a native French speaker but i have been studying it for a long time so i thought of giving a shot at the translation :) 

Q: Hi Lana! Thank you for being here, so do you believe in ghosts? 

A: Well, it's funny that you ask. i met a very famous psychic in L.A without me telling her who i was, she knew everyone that i knew who had passed over to the other side and she told me little things about their personal lives. 

Q: The ghost of Billy Idol, in the form of a hologram; the ghost of Whitney Houston, in the form of a hologram, soon in concert, does that intrigue you? 

A: You know, now that you've asked, i've heard a couple different opiniosn about it. because i know some people think it’s a little bit disrespectful to, in some ways, raise a fake spirit from the dead but as a fan and a sprititual person, i think i could see it being really interesting 

Q: And that, Lana, does that interest you? To someday have a hologram of yourself [i think he implies like after she dies lol] 

A: Well, over the years, me and my manager fought over many tours and i always asked them if i could send them a hologram of me but i think, until this year, the technology would be expensiive but you know 

Q: this question about holograms maybe will allow me to ask you a question about technology, Lana, has it already occurred toyou to live in a virtual world? Just to cut ties with the world or at [be] the edge of the world? [3:45] because your songs show/demonstrate that...

A: Yeah, i know what you mean lately i’ve been feeling a little bit of merger between the future and the past in the world. i think especially because i’ve been so interested in how fast tech is moving and having met elon musk and heard everything he’s said about artificial intelligence and how fast it’s moving. i’ve been thinking a lot how my sound fits in tothe future 

Q: Maybe you’ll hologram yourself? 

A: *giggles adorably* Maybe! You can see me!

*plays a bunch of songs from btd and then some from ultraviolence* 

Q: if you remember, Lana, you released Video Games on Youtube about four years ago which has over a hundred million views today. are you getting fed up with this song? 

A: tired of it? um no, i don’t know why i;m not tired of it, i really should be. i think because i sing so many songs on tour that it feels like one of them. 

Q: he brings up Born to Die and then he talks about ultra violence, more sombre and how it was “more rock” and now she's returned with  “honeymoon” which is sort of like a return to what made her successful in the first place [~6:45] and he basically asks: do you agree with this statement/observation? 

A: yeah i think a little bit it came back to the roots with production. but it’s new in the way it’s closer to who i really am because it has its roots in jazz. at least for about five tracks. 

Q: Honeymoon? 

A: Well i mean i love beautiful words, i love that word in particular, like i loved ultraviolence. nd i love the idea of bringing up tje most romantic time in somebody’s relationship and kind of living in that mood 

Q: this project…. *** ugh i’ve listened to this part like 10 times and i can’t figure out the last word he says, can a native translate this part? but he basically asks her if she thinks she’s accomplished her artistic goals with the project (~7:55)

A:  well i think i wanted it to be. i don’t think i’m there yet but i’m reaching i feel like there’s a lot of room for me to have an even more beautiful life so i’m reaching for it 

I was trained in literature and writing and stuff but not translation so i did the first 8 minutes or so of the translation  :ohno: like i understand what he's saying but i can't translate. sometimes it's hard to translate even if you are fluent :O 

tumblr_m7ggbemthf1r7oj7fo1_500.gif

OKAY NEVERMIND ugh :icant: he talks superrrrrrr fast in some parts  :defeated:  i'm like "slow downnnnnnnn mon cheri, slow downs!" 

but here's what i have so far... 

i'm not a native French speaker but i have been studying it for a long time so i thought of giving a shot at the translation :) 

Q: Hi Lana! Thank you for being here, so do you believe in ghosts? 

A: Well, it's funny that you ask. i met a very famous psychic in L.A without me telling her who i was, she knew everyone that i knew who had passed over to the other side and she told me little things about their personal lives. 

Q: The ghost of Billy Idol, in the form of a hologram; the ghost of Whitney Houston, in the form of a hologram, soon in concert, does that intrigue you? 

A: You know, now that you've asked, i've heard a couple different opiniosn about it. because i know some people think it’s a little bit disrespectful to, in some ways, raise a fake spirit from the dead but as a fan and a sprititual person, i think i could see it being really interesting 

Q: And that, Lana, does that interest you? To someday have a hologram of yourself [i think he implies like after she dies lol] 

A: Well, over the years, me and my manager fought over many tours and i always asked them if i could send them a hologram of me but i think, until this year, the technology would be expensiive but you know 

Q: this question about holograms maybe will allow me to ask you a question about technology, Lana, has it already occurred toyou to live in a virtual world? Just to cut ties with the world or at [be] the edge of the world? [3:45] because your songs show/demonstrate that...

A: Yeah, i know what you mean lately i’ve been feeling a little bit of merger between the future and the past in the world. i think especially because i’ve been so interested in how fast tech is moving and having met elon musk and heard everything he’s said about artificial intelligence and how fast it’s moving. i’ve been thinking a lot how my sound fits in tothe future 

Q: Maybe you’ll hologram yourself? 

A: *giggles adorably* Maybe! You can see me!

*plays a bunch of songs from btd and then some from ultraviolence* 

Q: if you remember, Lana, you released Video Games on Youtube about four years ago which has over a hundred million views today. are you getting fed up with this song? 

A: tired of it? um no, i don’t know why i;m not tired of it, i really should be. i think because i sing so many songs on tour that it feels like one of them. 

Q: he brings up Born to Die and then he talks about ultra violence, more sombre and how it was “more rock” and now she's returned with  “honeymoon” which is sort of like a return to what made her successful in the first place [~6:45] and he basically asks: do you agree with this statement/observation? 

A: yeah i think a little bit it came back to the roots with production. but it’s new in the way it’s closer to who i really am because it has its roots in jazz. at least for about five tracks. 

Q: Honeymoon? 

A: Well i mean i love beautiful words, i love that word in particular, like i loved ultraviolence. nd i love the idea of bringing up tje most romantic time in somebody’s relationship and kind of living in that mood 

Q: this project…. *** ugh i’ve listened to this part like 10 times and i can’t figure out the last word he says, can a native translate this part? but he basically asks her if she thinks she’s accomplished her artistic goals with the project (~7:55)

A:  well i think i wanted it to be. i don’t think i’m there yet but i’m reaching i feel like there’s a lot of room for me to have an even more beautiful life so i’m reaching for it 

I was trained in literature and writing and stuff but not translation so i did the first 8 minutes or so of the translation  :ohno: like i understand what he's saying but i can't translate. sometimes it's hard to translate even if you are fluent :O

I love the bit about holograms and AI, ugh, my retrofuture queen  :defeated:

A: Well, over the years, me and my manager fought over many tours and i always asked them if i could send them a hologram of me but i think, until this year, the technology was very expensive but you never know 

Q: this question about holograms, maybe you expected me to go there, it imposes the concern about virtuality. Lana, have you ever felt like you were living in a virtual world? Or have you ever wanted to just feel cut(isolated) from the world? Because your songs are a testimony of that after all.

Q: After all Lana, maybe you are a hologram?

Q: Let's say it between us, is it the apogee of something, this record for you, as an artist?

I'll translate the rest later

SCARFACE2371.png

Sorry about the delay, it took me like three hours to translate this !  The guy, although being super interesting, talked SUPER fast ... Anyway, here is my translation ! 

"On Honeymoon with Lana Del Rey"

- Today's guest has an unreal quality about her, an enigmatic, ghostly absence-presence, which arouses curiosity, phantasm .. She's an author, composer, interpret. Her third album, "Honeymoon" is out today, an event. Hello, Lana Del Rey.

- Bonjour, hello (laughs

- Thank you for being here ! Do you believe in ghosts ?

- Well, it's funny you should ask. I met a very famous clairvoyant in Los Angeles without telling her who I was. She knew everyone that I had know, who had passed to the other side and she told me little things about their personal lives.

- Billie Holiday's ghost in hologram shape, Whitney Houston's ghost in hologram shape, soon to perform a concert ... Does it puzzle you ? 

- Now that you ask, I've heard several opinions about [that] because I know that some people think it's a bit disrespectful to raise fake spirits from the dead. But as a fan and a spiritual person, I could see it being really interesting.

- What about you, would you like to have your own hologram ?

- Well, over the years, me and my managers fought/thought (?) a lot about many tours and I always asked if I could send a hologram of myself ! (laughs) But I think until this year, the technology was really expensive. But who knows ?

- Maybe you see where I'm getting at, with this hologram question, Lana Del Rey, we're talking about the virtual side of things, but did you ever feel like living in a virtual world, or separated from the world ? Because your songs sort of deal with that ?

- Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been feeling a bit of a merger between the future and the past. I think especially because I've been so interested in how fast technology is moving. And having met Elon Musk and heard everything he said about artificial intelligence, and how quickly it's moving, I've been thinking a lot about how my sound fits in the future.

-  Maybe, you're an hologram ?

- (laughs.) maybe. You can see me ! 

(Interlude : Mix of Born To Die singles + West Coast)

- Your big successes, ("Video Games", to begin with), "Video Games" that came out four years ago and became very quickly a worldwide hit and harvested more than 100 million views on Youtube... Don't you ever get tired of it ?

- Tired of it ? Hmmm ... Nooo... I don't know why I don't get tired of it, I really should be ! I think it's because I sing so many songs on tour that it feels like just one of them. 

- "Born To Die" sold more almost 7 million records, it featured many hits. Then came your second album, "Ultraviolence", more rock, darker, that didn't do so well ... And now you're back, with "Honeymoon", and everybody's saying that's it's a return to what made your success. Do you agree ? 

- Yeah ... it came back to the roots with production but it's new in the way that it's closer to who I really am, cause it's rooted in jazz, at least for five tracks. 

- "Honeymoon" ? Lune de Miel ... (-> translates the word in french) 

- Well I mean, I love beautiful words, I love that word in particular. I had that with Ultraviolence. And I loved the idea of bringing up the most romantic time in somebody's relationship and kind of living in that ...

- The apogee, in fact .. Between you and me, do you think this record is the peak of something, as an artist ? 

- Well I think I wanted it to be. I don't think I'm there yet, I'm reaching. I feel like there's a lot of room for me to have an even more beautiful life, so I'm reaching for it. 

The radio host transitions to various cultural news (literature, cinema, music ...)

- News are great, but Lana is better, especially when she's in the news ! Your third album, Lana, "Honeymoon", is out today. You revealed its tracks' titles one by one, for the last few months. So far, we thought everything was under control, when suddenly, the day before yesterday, BAM, everything leaked ! What happened ?

- Well it only got leaked in the last 8 days, right ? That's pretty good in this time and age ! I know The Weekend, his album leaked  like two and a half weeks before its release. But it's impossible ! You know what happens ? Vinyls goes to the factory so it's manufactured three months before. So usually someone takes it in the vinyl factory...

- And how do you feel about that, as an artist ?

- If it's a week away, I don't mind. But if it was something like 3 months or 6 months, I would like ... want to die. It would be terrible. Because everybody consumes things so quickly, so if they hear it six months out, they'll never buy it.

- This also raison the issue of control. It's impossible to control everything, nowadays. What about you, are you in control ?

- I mean yeah but nothing ever works (laughs) It doesn't matter if I try very hard or if I surrender, it all ends in chaos. It's ... Ridiculous ...

- Just like in the music video for "High by the Beach" ! At the end, you take out a machine gun and start shooting a helicopter. What happened there, did you lose control ? 

- (laughs) Yeah, I blew up a paparazzi ...

- Earlier this year, Miley Cyrus stated that showing guns in a music video is worse than showing your breasts. Do you agree ?

- Well... She has very nice breasts so it's easy for her to say.

- It's true though that we don't expect you shooting with a kalashnikov with an album titled "Honeymoon". It's a pretty singular vision of the couple ! 

- I know, I always have an intention, and then what ends up happening is the complete opposite.

- Who knows, maybe there's a real misunderstanding about you ! Maybe behind the romantic, melancholic, a bit faded ghost, hides a true rebel ?

- Yeah, maybe I'm a violent demon. 

- What would you like to rebel against ?

- I think I rebelled a lot for good reasons. Against a lot of standards, especially musically. But now ... I just want peace at any cost and I think that's where the idea for the video came from. 

- Including blowing every musical code up ? 

- Well... I mean I don't know if changing the musical direction will help anything. It's more of the surroundings surrounding me, I guess. (?? Not really sure, here. The interpret translated it as "It's more what surrounds me that I want to perceive differently" ?)

(High by the beach)

- Cartoon character, androïd, mermaid, hologram of a movie star straight out of the 50's... I don't really know now, sitting here with her doe eyes, her sulky/pouty mouth, her Lolita ways... She wears a pair of black jeans, torn obviously, with a little white wool pull over... Melancholic Lassie (), American diva, Lana Del Rey is my guest today on Boomerang and she's here to talk about her brand new album, "Honeymoon" from which we just heard an extract; "High By The Beach" ! What's the story behind such a song ? What do you begin with, the lyrics, the orchestration, the melody ...? 

- Hmmm ... I usually get the melody and the lyrics together. And then I bring my ... What would you call it, audio file to my producer, Rick, and he produces the music around it. But sometimes, if I'm done with the record and I have nothing in my head, I just start to riff and make things up while he plays. Like with "Video Games", my producer had four chords, (hums) and then I did :

"Singing in the backyard

Pull up in your fast car

Whistling my name "

so ...

- You'll notice that your interpret didn't translate the song, she didn't sing and we're happy about it, here at Boomerang ! Apparently, you see yourself more as a writer than a singer ? 

- Well, I think maybe more of a writer than a performer. But I think maybe a singer is close to the writing. 

- What's certain, Lana Del Rey, is that literature is very present in your work. It appears by touches, by references, just as if you were dipping into various things, picking a bit everywhere... Nabokov, Ginsberg, you also cite Bob Dylan, or the poetess Emily Dickinson with whom you share the  "taste" *  for silence and secrecy. What is your bond with literature, exactly ?  (* I couldn't find a better word for "taste" (goût)... It's the attraction, the fact that you enjoy something.)

- Well, when I was in high school, my teacher gave us all of Allen Ginsberg's works and that was when I knew I really wanted to write. And then when I was 18, I found Bob Dylan and a biography about him by Anthony Scaduto ...

- Did that isnpire you ?

- Yeah !

- It's funny because when I listen to your albums, I get the feeling that it all starts from an image, an atmosphere, a color ...  

-Yeah sometimes I feel funny to say that I have very graphic or colorful inspiration. But I do. Especially with "Honeymoon". Like that song, "Honeymoon", I added to the end of the chorus "Dark Blue" (singing)  and it didn't even mean anything, it had nothing to do with the lyrics, but I was kind of describing how I felt...

- And what does that "dark blue" represent, a musical genre maybe ? 

- It's kind of the happiest feeling, it's that blue note, that Jazz Blue note. (The interpret adds in her translation that it's a jazz label) and all the blue neon signs, when everything is closed, going down Wilshire Boulevard. (giggles

- Jazz interlude - 

Miles davis, Lana Del Rey you could cite his name ! Apparently, your "late Miles Davis drives" inspired the title "Honeymoon". What does that mean ? Do you listen to him in your car ?

- Yeah, I have a little collection of his songs that I listen to, I have a cassette of live interpretations. I don't know what it's called but it really puts me in the mood to write. 

- Do you compose when you drive, like when you go through places in your car, not exactly knowing where you're heading ?

- I ... It takes me a long time. I kind of set myself up so usually it takes like weeks. And then on some random lucky night I get a little bit of something. And then I take it home and work it out.

- That's really american, that car experience, a bit solitary, of those big West Coast cities, like Los Angeles. Los Angeles whose mark is everywhere, on this album, "Honeymoon" ! What does that city, Los Angeles, represent, in your eyes ? Does it represent the theater, does it represent home, or cinema, Lana Del Rey ?  

- Yeah everything ! Well I never thought i would leave New-York... I kind of thought that was my version of the movies but then I got to California and literally every street is like a backdrop. (?? I couldn't make out what she said there, sorry, the translator says "There are clubs on every street corners" but I have a feeling that's not correct) And it was just really exciting.

- There's definitely a 50's movie star way about you, in the overall look, in the glamour, in the mystery you arouse, too. Of which movie could you be the heroin ? 

- Hmmm ... Maybe Elizabeth Taylor. Because she had so many wonderful husbands. (laughs) She lived a lot of lives ! (laughs).

- Many lives, you see what I'm doing, here. Who hides behind Lana Del Rey ? What is true, and what is false ? 

- I haven't had to hide anything for ten years. Unless it's so deeply seeded that I don't even know ! (laughs)

- We have a tradition, on this station. Basically, we ask every musician who comes over here to sing a little something, something that comes to them just like that, a song they have in them. Maybe the song you've listened to the most. What is yours ?

- I have a song I used to sing for all my auditions. I don't even know if I know how it still goes. It was called "Smile". (clears throat)

"Smile though you heart is aching

Smile even though it's breaking

When there are clouds in the sky

You'll get by

If you smile through your fears and sorrow

Smile and maybe tomorrow 

You'll see the sun come shining through

If you just smile"

- Lana Del Rey's smile, early in the morning, at Boomerang. Thank you so much, Lana, for coming here. Your album, "Honeymoon" comes out today. It's a cinematic album, we know that by now, and it's to be listened to in the dark to better see the melancholic, ghostly visuals move around on your ceiling, on the walls of your room ...

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg