Say Yes to Heaven

Freak Music Video Premiering February 9th

so, the overall premiere experience was pretty shitty.  :pft:

i've seen her live three times now, but this was the first time i really felt like i was in front of Lana Del Rey for some reason. i don't really know how to explain it.

i didn't get full performance videos, but if anyone still wants me to upload what i did get, let me know.

idk about you but i had shitty seats, i was all the way at the top. the line was gnarly when i got there thanks to working late. 

large.gif

Well that was beautiful and dull....

When i re-watched Freak twice and begun thinking about it I started hating it the more it when on. It doesn't feel like a music video just a collection of pretty images stuck together -montage style-  with no real effort to make a solid story. A lot of the footage feels like deleted/extended shots for the scrapped UV video. I wouldn't of minded but it so obvious at some points like for instance the five minutes at the end of the video. No offense but its shockingly lazy even for Lana tbh... 

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

The video was just OK for me, some nice shots, great to have more of the UV footage. Lana looks stunning, especially when she smiles.

But there's a really fine line between super slo-mo being meaningful and it being "fuuuuck we have to stretch this footage out".

I mean, nice foot/leg and all, but do we really need 20 slow seconds of it?

On a more positive note, it's generating pretty enthusiastic responses from many 'serious music sites'. Stereogum has a wonderful long essay about LDR and FJM - really worth reading if you have the time.

niCrdNS.png

y2Q7cJD.png

These two shots made up for the six minutes at the end. 2K12 vibes.

I feel like this shot was filmed more recently, like filmed a couple months ago. Anyways, I think we all agree that this video wasn't intended for Freak, she looked really beautiful though, especially when she was next to the record player.

tumblr_ow8qt6vZl01w30flno1_1280.jpg

k lana 

https://youtu.be/vogS4gDDNvQ?t=3m35s

no but seriously that was dumb and boring as shit. get it together u lazy bitch! obviously she thinks that she can do whatever the fuck she wants at this point and people will still eat it up (and they are) but those of us with minds and eyes of our own aren't just gonna sit here and take it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:um:  :bye2:  :icant2:

This would have been my reaction 6 months ago. I flipped after the release of HM because I expected her to do something "great", to become the biggest star in the universe just to prove the bullies wrong. I didn't listen to LDR for about two months when accidentally I started to listen again in my car because I forgot to take her cd out. And I liked her voice, is mesmerizing. That was the reason why I followed her in the first place. I started to listen again to HM and I discovered a beautiful record, mellow but with subtle beauty in almost every track.

So who is Lana? The BTD, Blue Jeans vamp or the melancholic/silly girl from her homemade videos? I think that at the beginning of the LDR era she wanted to become a huge pop star but "upon an unfortunate series of events she saw those dreams dashed and divided like a million stars in the night sky" as she say it in the Ride monologue. And slowly she reverted back to her safe place doing strange videos and non-commercial music that we loved from the pre-fame era. But now we are criticizing her to the ground for being herself.

Is this video a great artistic statement? No, but it's beautiful, has a connection with the song, singing about being a freak it's less literal than singing about Jim (Jones), and, despite some of you said, has a story that it's not obvious and it's up for interpretation. Technically it's a mess but without diminishing the beauty of it. If you don't like the Debussy part don't watch it.

I watched 10 times with ease, it's calming and the Debussy part mesh well with Freak which is a good song.

She doesn't want to be a pop-star anymore are you ready to accept it? I do and I enjoyed the video

I’m not as interested in flip-floppers

I love this video so much! So beautiful and dreamy and just amazing. Definitely one of my favorite videos along with Video Games, Carmen, National Anthem and Shades Of Cool. #WhereISAnnedauphineWhenWeNeedHer.

I AM MY ONLY GOD

I actually like this video. It's really beautiful and has a great 60's aesthetic to it. And Lana looks stunning of course. :-) The entire clip is a bit of a LSD trip so it's somewhat understandable that there's no straight forward, linear story to it.

This would have been my reaction 6 months ago. I flipped after the release of HM because I expected her to do something "great", to become the biggest star in the universe just to prove the bullies wrong. I didn't listen to LDR for about two months when accidentally I started to listen again in my car because I forgot to take her cd out. And I liked her voice, is mesmerizing. That was the reason why I followed her in the first place. I started to listen again to HM and I discovered a beautiful record, mellow but with subtle beauty in almost every track.

So who is Lana? The BTD, Blue Jeans vamp or the melancholic/silly girl from her homemade videos? I think that at the beginning of the LDR era she wanted to become a huge pop star but "upon an unfortunate series of events she saw those dreams dashed and divided like a million stars in the night sky" as she say it in the Ride monologue. And slowly she reverted back to her safe place doing strange videos and non-commercial music that we loved from the pre-fame era. But now we are criticizing her to the ground for being herself.

Is this video a great artistic statement? No, but it's beautiful, has a connection with the song, singing about being a freak it's less literal than singing about Jim (Jones), and, despite some of you said, has a story that it's not obvious and it's up for interpretation. Technically it's a mess but without diminishing the beauty of it. If you don't like the Debussy part don't watch it.

right now, she's nothing but a complacent little ho that feels as if she's already made her mark on the industry and thus isn't striving to push herself any further. she's better than the rest and she knows it, but now that everyone else is starting to recognize it too, she doesn't have any of that fire from before; nothing to prove and nothing new to currently say (and it shows, visually, in particular) 

she went from piecing mood boards together in order to properly manifest her own self-realizations -- from constructing gorgeously unified visuals to ... this? using fucking scraps from a previous era just because she can? twice! its one thing to set forth with an idea and stick to it mentally or emotionally, but entirely another to just splice random shit together and publish it just because it ~ 'sort of works' ~ ... she's way better than this and so its painfully ironic that the critics no longer have anything negative to say, when the video is honestly trash and deserving of the hate that she would've typically received during the higher points in her career. no intelligence or insight or nuance, just vapid images and a hope for some far-reached analysis of an idea that was clearly never even there to begin with 

you say that she doesn't want to be 'pop' but this is the most 'pop' mentality she's had so far in her career; literally cut and rehashed and devoid of feeling. but she knows that as long as its slow and pretty, and set to something * classical *, no one will be able to say anything negative out of fear of seeming ~uncultured~ ; i'm sure her motivations for this were calculated to ensure plausible deniability rather than any artistic growth 

i see u bitch! hope this message (or something similar) gets to her ~ cuz she need to step it the fuck uP (or start to outsource) 

like honestly, even when she was singing honeymoon last night, she sounded like she was half dead and basically let the crowd sing like 40% of the song. that's pretty much an equivalent metaphor for her visual efforts 

ZRBNill.jpg

I feel like this shot was filmed more recently, like filmed a couple months ago. Anyways, I think we all agree that this video wasn't intended for Freak, she looked really beautiful though, especially when she was next to the record player.

I think you're right about it being filmed recently. 

The footage looks nice, the way it was cut is extremely boring and anticlimatic.

Why is the second chorus just a gif qhen we have the scenes of the cult girls dancing?

Also, the bridge/last chorus are cut better but the fact it's just the same footage from verse n1 is not making anything better.

The underwater girls are unneccecary and unfitting. I just ask myself why Lana re-used 4 water scenes again and again in MTWBT when there are so many.

The live performances were great! HM was better than the BBC one, the West Coast ome was wonderful and made me even more mad about the fact we could have this in HQ without screaming twinks if she would have moved her ass to the Letterman show during UV. And I am so here for her auburn hair! The black hair doesn't suit her either way.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Watch the underwater scenes with "Oh Say Can You See" and you get a whole new Magical video!!!

That song fits the video like a glove!!! Its sooooo fuckin beautiful, blissful and magical :heart: !!! Try it and lemme kno what yall think :kiss:

ps: I would love it if someone can sync that song with the underwater scenes and upload the vid on youtube  :bliss: 

I can usually defend Lana against criticism but this was just so bad. The overall idea/plot of the video had so much potential and this is what she chose to make? She can do so much better. Somebody said some of the footage was from the abandoned Ultraviolence video which would make sense since the overall video seems to have no cohesive plot. The last five minutes seemed so pointless. I really wish she could put as much effort into the videos as she does the songs. It just feels like she's given up visually. It's just a tad difficult being a Lana fan when she herself doesn't seem to give a shit anymore.