Say Yes to Heaven

Freak Music Video Premiering February 9th

Inb4 ya'll hype up her next music video with unrealistic expectations and BTD visuals and end up disappointed.

I think it's safe to say that she's not going to release anything as close to what she did early in her career, so some you just need to accept that and move on.

We don't know her exact mind frame of anything, only based on what she releases. For all we know, her creative process has always been the same. I know that she says that she writes the treatments for her videos, but it's the directors that ultimately craft the overall execution of it. In my opinion, both Yoann Lemoine and Anthony Mandler were her best collaborators, in large part because they are very strong visual directors.

Regarding her treatments, Anthony once said something along the lines of some being well-thought out and some being kind of stream-of-conscious. I think that's a nice way of saying that most lack depth or any coherency. She did start off with copy-and-pasting images from other sources in her homemade videos after all. But I think both Lemoine and Mandler were able to take these concepts/ideas and mold them into something do-able. Also, having a bigger budget certainly helped. But I believe that they understood her as an artist. Most of the directors she's been working with lately have been lacking in that area, in my opinion. She's probably giving them these checklists of what she wants and they're doing everything for the most part, but aren't giving them that unique touch or refining them like they should be.

Plus, it's not like EVERY video in the past has been on caliber of Born to Die and Ride. Blue Jeans is literally her in a pool with a guy and some crocodiles. Any other director would have done a sub-par job with it, esp. considering there's not much to do with that concept, but Lemoine was able to bring a distinct style to it. For the most part, she has interesting ideas both for her songs and videos, but she really needs someone there to bring them to life.

The Blue Jeans video is perfect, pls excuse yourself. It's meant to be more "visual" and it does it in a wonderful way and it still tells a story.

I think you misread what @@MadMax was saying. They said that the idea wasn't as good as say Born to Die or Ride, but she worked with people who really brought her vision to life and made it work well. 

I think you misread what @@MadMax was saying. They said that the idea wasn't as good as say Born to Die or Ride, but she worked with people who really brought her vision to life and made it work well. 

oh sorry ...

but srsly, I cringe evrytime I see someone saying Ride was good. The execution was fine, but the thing itself was cringeworthy af.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Now Lana needs to make a video for God Knows I Tried where she's in a church in a white dress. And then there can be some shots of her underwater (like she's being baptized/cleansing herself of her past sins i.e. the Freak video) :hooker:

Edit: Can someone take snippets from the Freak vid and edit it so it actually makes some kind of sense? The video is so pretty but it's edited so badly.

oh sorry ...

but srsly, I cringe evrytime I see someone saying Ride was good. The execution was fine, but the thing itself was cringeworthy af.

The second speech is cringe but the first before the song starts playing is very nice imo.

And you can't deny that it's very cinematic and pretty, although her hair while swinging on that rope really is kinda tacky

ride.png

I looks better in the actual video somehow

a thought-

If Lana does Freak in concert, now fans will be aware of the long 12 minute version and she can easily go into the pit with the fans while the later part plays the Clair De Lune part in a loop

on a screen

possibly even as the finale, like they did with National Anthem on other tours.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

I think the overall aesthetic/setting of the video fit the song perfectly, but the execution is way too posed and self-conscious. Not to mention the pacing/rhythm didn't match up that well. And the attempt to fuse a cult subplot to a song that is obviously just about living in California and having a good time? Really? The video for Ride was way cornier than this but at least it actually mirrors the song's lyrics instead of throwing in a few references to cult suicide in a weak attempt to give the song a new layer of meaning. That being said, I still liked the visuals and this is the most gorgeous Lana has ever looked in a video. It seems that finding a middle ground between low quality home-style videos and over the top production has been a source struggle for Lana, so she's at least making some progress in that regard.

The outro really surprised me though, it's serenely beautiful and totally changed the associations I have with Clair De Lune.

speaking of the ride video

the very start with Lana swinging on a tire

Roy Orbison's greatest hit that was never a single, released just when he died "Love So Beautiful" official video starts off the same way

(make sure it's Roy's official video if one seeks it out)

I really wish one day Lana covers that song or perhaps interpolates it with Roy in a "duet"

One needs to hear Love so beautiful and imagine Roy and Lana..."the summer sun went down on our love long ago...

it is so Lanaesque years earlier.

here is the link-

htpps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrbctEUkfcA

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

I really wonder why she's using so much old material for Honeymoon. It's such a disconnect visually. Is she so attached to the footage that she wants it released whenever? Is she uninspired visually for this era? It's disappointing. I still love ha tho

oh sorry ...

I think the overall aesthetic/setting of the video fit the song perfectly, but the execution is way too posed and self-conscious. Not to mention the pacing/rhythm didn't match up that well. And the attempt to fuse a cult subplot to a song that is obviously just about living in California and having a good time? Really? The video for Ride was way cornier than this but at least it actually mirrors the song's lyrics instead of throwing in a few references to cult suicide in a weak attempt to give the song a new layer of meaning. That being said, I still liked the visuals and this is the most gorgeous Lana has ever looked in a video. It seems that finding a middle ground between low quality home-style videos and over the top production has been a source struggle for Lana, so she's at least making some progress in that regard.

The outro really surprised me though, it's serenely beautiful and totally changed the associations I have with Clair De Lune.

The second speech is cringe but the first before the song starts playing is very nice imo.

is someone else talks shit about the Ride mv i swear  tumblr_inline_o2d2l8t4wW1tn6zbp_500.gif