sparklrtrailrheaven

Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant  

253 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant?

• Kill Kill
    • Queen of the Gas Station
    • Oh Say Can You See
    • Gramma (Blue Ribbon Sparkler Trailer Heaven)
    • For K Part 2
    • Jump
    • Mermaid Motel
    • Raise Me Up (Mississippi South)
    • Pawn Shop Blues
    • Brite Lites
    • Put Me in a Movie (Little Girls)
    • Smarty
    • Yayo

7 minutes ago, YourGirl666 said:

Are Trash Magic, Wayamaya, Pin Up Galore and Hundred Dollar Bill the only AKA outtakes we have? I thought we had a lot more from this era :judgingu3:

Hundred Dollar Bill is a BTD outtake, but the first three are. Ben, Axl Rose Husband, Get Drunk and Jimmy Gnecco are outtakes as well. Disco, Let My Hair Down, Dance For Money, etc. could technically be considered outtakes as well depending on how you look at it. 

imageproxy.jpg

1 minute ago, Super Movie said:

Hundred Dollar Bill is a BTD outtake, but the first three are. Ben, Axl Rose Husband, Get Drunk and Jimmy Gnecco are outtakes as well. Disco, Let My Hair Down, Dance For Money, etc. could technically be considered outtakes as well depending on how you look at it. 

But were they ever intended to be on the album tho?

Just now, YourGirl666 said:

we can't say for sure, since there's not a lot that we know about that era, i would say that if anything, get drunk & jimmy gnecco are outtakes, ben could be considering the demo recording is from 2006, i think songs like axl rose husband, lemonade motorcycle heaven, & coconut & key lime pie were recorded later on

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

1 minute ago, YourGirl666 said:

I know that Ben and Axl were since we have confirmation that there are David Kahne versions of them. I had thought there was a David version of Jimmy Gnecco as well, but I could be wrong on that. Most of our AKA "outtakes" come from the fact that we have songs like Disco that were made around the same time as other songs on the album, and in Disco's case, performed with other songs that ended up on AKA. Get Drunk is technically an AKA outtake as well because it was on No Kung Fu, and that was essentially a demo tape for AKA.

imageproxy.jpg

Just now, Super Movie said:

I know that Ben and Axl were since we have confirmation that there are David Kahne versions of them. I had thought there was a David version of Jimmy Gnecco as well, but I could be wrong on that. Most of our AKA "outtakes" come from the fact that we have songs like Disco that were made around the same time as other songs on the album, and in Disco's case, performed with other songs that ended up on AKA. Get Drunk is technically an AKA outtake as well because it was on No Kung Fu, and that was essentially a demo tape for AKA.

there is a confirmed studio version of jimmy gnecco

i just remembered there's a david kahne version of me & my boyfriend, which was first recorded in 2007, so maybe that song as well...?

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

2 minutes ago, Super Movie said:

1 minute ago, Surf Noir said:

i just remembered there's a david kahne version of me & my boyfriend, which was first recorded in 2007, so maybe that song as well...?

Thanl you all! AKA is such an obscure era

2 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

The whole era is kind of messy when it comes to pinning down which songs are outtakes and which songs were just made around that time, especially since there were side projects like The Rich Whores. The only ones we can really know 100% are the ones that were confirmed by David himself or confirmed to be produced by him (or Steve Mertens, except for When I'm With You, I'd consider anything he did with Lana to be an AKA outtake since he was the original producer). 

imageproxy.jpg

Thanl you all! AKA is such an obscure era

i absolutely love this era, i'll always be happy to discuss it, or to receive any new information/songs/pictures/videos from it, even if it doesn't happen that frequently <3

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

5 minutes ago, Super Movie said:

The whole era is kind of messy when it comes to pinning down which songs are outtakes and which songs were just made around that time, especially since there were side projects like The Rich Whores. The only ones we can really know 100% are the ones that were confirmed by David himself or confirmed to be produced by him (or Steve Mertens, except for When I'm With You, I'd consider anything he did with Lana to be an AKA outtake since he was the original producer). 

Same with BTD tbf, there are just so many songs. It's really hard to organize them, like, how the hell am I able to add Boom Like That (love her tho) to my BTD Demos album with songs such as French Restaurant and Because of You, even though adding it wouldn't be totally wrong cause we know nothing but that it was recorded by the same time

7 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

i absolutely love this era, i'll always be happy to discuss it, or to receive any new information/songs/pictures/videos from it, even if it doesn't happen that frequently <3

Her true magnum opus I fear :trisha:

Same with BTD tbf, there are just so many songs. It's really hard to organize them, like, how the hell am I able to add Boom Like That (love her tho) to my BTD Demos album with songs such as French Restaurant and Because of You, even though adding it wouldn't be totally wrong cause we know nothing but that it was recorded by the same time

Her true magnum opus I fear :trisha:

here's what i do, i just organize by year :wink: some years are joined together because maybe there's not enough songs for each individual year or they just go together but it makes a lot of sense to simply go by year

i have mine like this

2005/2006

2007/2008

2012/2013

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

8 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

here's what i do, i just organize by year :wink: some years are joined together because maybe there's not enough songs for each individual year or they just go together but it makes a lot of sense to simply go by year

i have mine like this

2005/2006

2007/2008

2012/2013

Mine is pretty, but hard to organize.

I have:

The Early Sessions (Anything pre-2012 that's not confirmed as an AKA or BTD outtake)

The AKA Sessions

The Born to Die Sessions

The Paradise Sessions

The Ulltraviolence Sessions

The Honeymoon Sessions

The Lust for Life Sessions

The Jack Antonoff Sessions (just cause we lack more songs from that era)

The Blue Banisters Sessions

The Soundtracks Sessions

Bonus (2012-2021)

The Remixes (Fanmade)

Honeymoon - The Instrumental Experience

@Surf Noir @YourGirl666

i organize mine my year too, but i also separated the years into smaller mixtapes if the Lana fandom wiki ( x ) listed the song(s) as likely meant for a Lizzy Grant session vs a May Jailer or Lana Del Ray session, etc or by the producer etc.

i think it needs minor updating but this is recently fixed up x

12 hours ago, The Siren said:

@Surf Noir @YourGirl666

i organize mine my year too, but i also separated the years into smaller mixtapes if the Lana fandom wiki ( x ) listed the song(s) as likely meant for a Lizzy Grant session vs a May Jailer or Lana Del Ray session, etc or by the producer etc.

i think it needs minor updating but this is recently fixed up x

Love your mixtapes!

I think she just bought the rights to prevent the album from being released without her consent (and to actually own the masters of course) so I don't think she has any plans of re releasing it.

As much as I love this album I think it's better that it stays that way. I can already see the thinkpieces about some lyrics and her "authenticity" (even though you can actually see how Lizzy Grant and Lana are the same and not a persona created for her major label debut)

giphy.gif

As far as I know she only bought the rights to the whole thing to be able to get it out from the market asap and rebrand herself, with no intenion of ever touching the material again, which is understandable since she recorded this bak in 2007 and 5 Points shelved it until 2010, the good sis did a full 180° musically and was turning into a full time pop princess by the time LDR got released.

I think the re-release rumours came from Les Inrock interview back in 2012:

Among these new songs, you chose to revive Yayo, one of the songs of your 2010 album under the name of Lizzy Grant. Will this album ever be re-released?

Like I did for Yayo, I would like to redo certain songs like Kill Kill and Mermaid Motel. They mean a lot to me, they are the most autobiographical out of all the songs, my sprees to Coney Island …

But I don’t like their production, I can’t re-release them as they are. I recorded them 6 years ago, an eternity… Yayo was a fundamental moment in my life, a trigger, my first video.

So I guess she loved the songs but not exactly how they sounded (I think it's not the first time she has shared those opinions?), she also talked about how displeased she was about the final version of TIWMUG lol

8nl2OpX.png

19 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

As far as I know she only bought the rights to the whole thing to be able to get it out from the market asap and rebrand herself, with no intenion of ever touching the material again, which is understandable since she recorded this bak in 2007 and 5 Points shelved it until 2010, the good sis did a full 180° musically and was turning into a full time pop princess by the time LDR got released.

I think the re-release rumours came from Les Inrock interview back in 2012:

Among these new songs, you chose to revive Yayo, one of the songs of your 2010 album under the name of Lizzy Grant. Will this album ever be re-released?

Like I did for Yayo, I would like to redo certain songs like Kill Kill and Mermaid Motel. They mean a lot to me, they are the most autobiographical out of all the songs, my sprees to Coney Island …

But I don’t like their production, I can’t re-release them as they are. I recorded them 6 years ago, an eternity… Yayo was a fundamental moment in my life, a trigger, my first video.

So I guess she loved the songs but not exactly how they sounded (I think it's not the first time she has shared those opinions?), she also talked about how displeased she was about the final version of TIWMUG lol

it makes me happy that she loves kill kill & mermaid motel, & that they mean a lot to her <3

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123