Subversive

LDR5 - Pre-Pre-Release Annual Meltdown and Discussion Thread

And some of us need to realise that their expectations regarding sale numbers etc are out of place when it comes to Lana

I am not even sure that there are sales expectations anymore. 

I find the current state of music so interesting. And now more than even shows who is able to adapt in the new times and who won't and will fall off the ladder.

Ok, but why is Melanie currently outselling and outstreaming Lana?

Some of you need to realise that the music industry is changing so fast, it's insane. 

The industry has never been into such a place like now.

wait until she runs out of baby objects to sing about

I am not even sure that there are sales expectations anymore.

I find the current state of music so interesting. And now more than even shows who is able to adapt in the new times and who won't and will fall off the ladder.

I mean, I definitely want her to have commercial success. I'm not really informed about these issues since I'm just not interested in sales etc.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't base the definition of a good album on the perception of the general public.

A quick look at the current charts makes clear what the general public expects: mass production.

Melanie Martinez??? lol Lana has sold millions, MM is zero competition and nowhere in the same league as far as sales or exposure.

Exactly... I literally laughed at those comments. The only reason she's doing better than lana at this point is because she's MILKING the era by making a music video for every single song off the album and is touring EVERYWHERE. The industry isn't changing as drastically as they say it is, Lana just changed b/c of the media backlash from everything of that era. It's like people don't know how to put two to two together. I'm surprised to know that half of her stans don't know much about her or her reasoning behind all the toning down.

Our girl already DID all of that and isn't bothered because that's simply not the type of music she wants to make anymore. Have you even heard the music she's inspired by? Fiona Apple has extremely slow music and I think that's what Lana's going for... to achieve that critical acclaim and is compared to people like her instead of major artists. And 600K sales w/ 200M streams IMO is not BAD for an album like Honeymoon. People underestimate her so much and it's crazy. She still has that star power and always will, if she cares to bring it back then she can be on top (except that she doesn't care about the spotlight so why should we..)

And some of us need to realise that their expectations regarding sale numbers etc are out of place when it comes to Lana

Our expectations of her sales aren't low if she would just try again but she isn't. So in a way you are right.

If only Lana served us great quality with Honeymoon. And it's not true that only mass production and lack of quality sells. Urban artists have great sales because they serve actual quality and have a very devoted fanbase. And they are huge on streaming as well.

I loathe Hitlor Swift to death, but in the context of a commercial pop record, 1939 was actually good. And this is just one popular example.

Halsey and Melanie went Platinum and Gold because of streaming, because their audience is young and is streaming the heck out their albums on Spotify. Even when Lana released the video for Freak, she didn't re-enter the BB200, because her streaming numbers for Honeymoon were the pits that week.

And no, nobody is judging the quality by the success, but in the case of some artists and Lana is one of them, quality is crucial to success. People will forgive crappy music a Selena Gomez or Justin Bieber (whose album had some good catchy pop songs on it actually) because they are young and cool to like among teenagers and kids. Lana is an artist that attracts listeners who actually appreciate quality. And when the quality isn't there, people are more critical or desinterested and the album fails. They also lose interest in the long term.

It really is that simple guys. Take your stan glasses off. 

And for that one member who is saying that the music industry is not changing, dear God. Where have you been? The next week's No.1 on the BB100 is predicted to sell 65k (like, no kidding, 65k!!!). And it's december :rip:

If only Lana served us great quality with Honeymoon. And it's not true that only mass production and lack of quality sells. Urban artists have great sales because they serve actual quality and have a very devoted fanbase. And they are huge on streaming as well.

I loathe Hitlor Swift to death, but in the context of a commercial pop record, 1939 was actually good. And this is just one popular example.

Halsey and Melanie went Platinum and Gold because of streaming, because their audience is young and is streaming the heck out their albums on Spotify. Even when Lana released the video for Freak, she didn't re-enter the BB200, because her streaming numbers for Honeymoon were the pits that week.

And no, nobody is judging the quality by the success, but in the case of some artists and Lana is one of them, quality is crucial to success. People will forgive crappy music a Selena Gomez or Justin Bieber (whose album had some good catchy pop songs on it actually) because they are young and cool to like among teenagers and kids. Lana is an artist that attracts listeners who actually appreciate quality. And when the quality isn't there, people are more critical or desinterested and the album fails. They also lose interest in the long term.

It really is that simple guys. Take your stan glasses off. 

And for that one member who is saying that the music industry is not changing, dear God. Where have you been? The next week's No.1 on the BB100 is predicted to sell 65k (like, no kidding, 65k!!!). And it's december :rip:

The numbers are all over the place but when a big artist comes in the picture and releases a great single with great promo then it's a much higher number, lol. I understand what you're saying.. but you made it seem like Lana doesn't have the power to attract all her old fans back. When in fact she can, it's like you're underestimating what she can do. What she WANTS to do is a totally different story though.. she is still capable. 

wait until she runs out of baby objects to sing about

Totally.. and she's not even going to change for the next era. She already admitted she's just going to continue the story.. I still don't sense a decline in her career though because her music is POPPY and people are gonna buy that because they can bop to it.

Nevermind. I don't feel like arguing. The point is. in order to save her career. Lana is going to have to fun herself up. Or promo(if that even helps with her snoring boring sound if she continues on this honeymoon lane). 

Nevermind. I don't feel like arguing. The point is. in order to save her career. Lana is going to have to fun herself up. Or promo.

I said what you said, my posts are longer so I don't even know if people are bothering to read what I'm saying. I admit that lana will flop more and more because she's not promoting or putting enough effort in her visuals like before. My point was that if she changed her mind and did decide to care like she used to and ignore the media backlash, then she can easily be on top. I agree with you! There are people on here that underestimate her star power though. And I know we don't care about Fiona apple is but that's literally what she's aiming for, she never dared to be as famous as she was in 2012-2014... that remix ruined her plans of wanting to have a small fanbase. This is why I feel like the new record will still be slow UNLESS she really wants to be on top again and makes something more upbeat.

Lana only pays attention to what the critics and magazines say.... if she sees that there's an upwards trend in her scores after making her albums more slow and more melancholy then I feel like that's the route she's going to take. I think she just feels more respected this way and is scared to get out of her bubble. That is all.

I want visuals and quality music, but for me it's more about her realizing her artistic vision than proving that the GP likes her the best. AKA is one of my favorite albums in existence right now and it had no commercial success. She doesn't need the money, she doesn't want the fame, she does this because it's what she loves and as long as her music reflects that I will be happy 

Are there literally no chances of her making a faster record? Didnt she say something like that she could see herself making a faster and harder record?

lana-del-rey-just-for-life-anatomy-nss-m

Why is everybody so obsessed with Lana's commercial success?

its possible that she can be dropped by her label if she stops being commercially successful

i mean, she could always get picked up by another label but it could be one with a lower budget.... she might pull a marina :illumarina:

tumblr_oq5qbhvXRQ1v790vno1_540.png

Lana is a major artist, signed to a major label, she probably has a similar contract to other pop girls out there. That doesn't mean that she has to make bops and pull a 2010 gaga, but some of u make it sound like she never intented to reach the charts at all? She knew what she was doing when she signed that contract, she knew what she was doing when she was the face for two huge H&M campaigns, her first one was bigger in Germany than the Beyoncé one. Tropico had enourmous budget, you can compare that to the weekend's starboy film. She was the main theme song for a huge baz luhrman movie. And then some of u say that basic irrelevant remix (which was basically irrelevant here and she already had a multi selling record and platinum singles in europe) ruined her being a bubbling under indie artist aka the next coming of fiona apple?

You need to realise that her label and team want to get some coins from her and I honestly can't understand how they let her handle things as she did with hm. UV had some kind of schedule at least (which was cancelled). There was a tougher promo schedule for 25 and Adele didn't even need it, just to remind you, she sold out 4 stadium concerts within minutes just a week ago. Lana doesn't need to make a trap record but something that doesn't put her OWN fanbase to sleep would be a good start and probably helpful for her career.

i76mrxw.png 

You don't intend to reach the charts as an artist, lol. If it happens, then it happens. And she didn't like the shit that came along with it. Signing a contract with a major label is one thing, but becoming a successful artist is also got do a whole lot with luck too. If interscope has artists that release albums that sell even worse and haven't gotten rid of them, then there's no reason for them to get rid of lana before her contract ends. That's probably what gave her the ammunition to release Honeymoon. Or we're just being too damn critical and she wants to make slow records that put her fans to sleep. If that's what she feels her element is, and if that's Fiona to her then let it be. It's too early to tell as this is truly her only slow record but it seems to be a trend. I feel like she's preparing us for until she becomes indie.

She could very well only have a 4-5 album deal and that's maybe what her reasoning was behind the early releases? That is what I think and there's no reason to roast me but her hating her fake and staying lowkey is why I even think this in the first place.

Lana is a major artist, signed to a major label, she probably has a similar contract to other pop girls out there. That doesn't mean that she has to make bops and pull a 2010 gaga, but some of u make it sound like she never intented to reach the charts at all? She knew what she was doing when she signed that contract, she knew what she was doing when she was the face for two huge H&M campaigns, her first one was bigger in Germany than the Beyoncé one. Tropico had enourmous budget, you can compare that to the weekend's starboy film. She was the main theme song for a huge baz luhrman movie. And then some of u say that basic irrelevant remix (which was basically irrelevant here and she already had a multi selling record and platinum singles in europe) ruined her being a bubbling under indie artist aka the next coming of fiona apple?

You need to realise that her label and team want to get some coins from her and I honestly can't understand how they let her handle things as she did with hm. UV had some kind of schedule at least (which was cancelled). There was a tougher promo schedule for 25 and Adele didn't even need it, just to remind you, she sold out 4 stadium concerts within minutes just a week ago. Lana doesn't need to make a trap record but something that doesn't put her OWN fanbase to sleep would be a good start and probably helpful for her career.

This is probably the best post we had about this in a long time.

Many members on here totally ignore that.

Lana is not indie and I am pretty sure she doesn't want to be on an indie label either.

I feel like she's preparing us for until she becomes indie.

As much as y'all hope to become obscure hipster folks who are listening to INDIE ARTISTS, this will not happen. Making slow music that is not played on the charts does not make you indie, nor does this change the fact that she is still doing alternative pop.

Noone really expects her to release a PRISM or Blackout, but she could at least spice her game up a bit.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!