Jack

Melanie Martinez

I can appreciate what she's going for but I'm not really into these visuals. It's just missing the immersive feeling and "magic" of her past work. VOID was 90% violent dance-thrashing and blurry CG IMO, particularly the scene where she's being chased by herself, which looked a little.. low budget? I just expected something completely different I guess.

I'm glad we at least got to see her again outside of the costume again, though. For that alone, 10/10 :et:

19 minutes ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

The opening was good, underwhelming and blurry otherwise. :um2:

The opening WAS really good, pretty much up until the first chorus for me. After that it just felt kind of messy and fell a little flat.

I'm hoping she's going to give it a much better treatment in the movie(if it even gets approved), but I really don't see the point in having both when she could've just put out some really great, high budget music videos and left it at that.

The visuals are well done and I get the concept but to me it felt flat. A lot of chaos and little meaning… I’m also sooo over the costume by now :bebe:

Those awkward movements felt cute during CB and K-12 (or even sexy in The Bakery) but I think she’s over-doing it here, no need to seem THAT insane every moment 

30 minutes ago, Anonymcomenter said:

The visuals are well done and I get the concept but to me it felt flat. A lot of chaos and little meaning… I’m also sooo over the costume by now :bebe:

Those awkward movements felt cute during CB and K-12 (or even sexy in The Bakery) but I think she’s over-doing it here, no need to seem THAT insane every moment 

I'm not sure she's trying to look insane so much as desperate, but I know what you mean. It'd be nice to see her do more actual dancing than all of the violent thrashing and head-whipping.

And I wonder what Cry Baby era Melanie would've done with these songs.. She would've killed it with the budget that these videos must be getting. Even when she hardly had a budget, she still created some of the best, most creative videos I've ever seen. Just compare the clean CGI and set design in Mad Hatter to VOID, for instance.. it's probably just me, but I feel something missing here.

40 minutes ago, ButterflyBones said:

Just compare the clean CGI and set design in Mad Hatter to VOID, for instance.. it's probably just me, but I feel something missing here.

What I think she’s been missing lately is to sit down a bit with her art and give it a though before releasing anything… idk but it feels messy, chaotic and all over the place. Even the album tracklist goes with no clear direction opposed to the demos leaked.

Same with visuals, she’s going with the flow (which is great) but I think the major problem here is she’s not getting exterior help or output. She wants to do it all by herself but to make this things right she should let experts have a say… same with songwritting :bebe:

Ur sooo right, Mad Hatter was great and she did it with no crazy choreography… Im happy she’s happy to express herself and comfortable enough to dance, but some direction would be great. Just look how good Detention, The Bakery and Drama Club (except that cringey last “woke” part) turned out to be :tyvm:

1 minute ago, ButterflyBones said:

I am feeling so gaslit right now by all of the people on IG and Twitter saying this is her best video ever made... :eartha2:

we’ve been knew about there twitter crybabies…

she could literally release a video of herself farting and they would eat it up :lmaoney:

1 hour ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

The two Portals videos are cool, but they don’t really go anywhere or do anything. No story line. Methinks the budget was spent on CGI.

Album still slaps tho. 

truthfully, i dont think she's thinking about the plot for the separate music videos. shes just going with something quick to get them over with so she can get to the full film quicker - but thats dreadfully taking away from what COULD be her best visual work overall.

im upset :crossed: 

19 hours ago, The Siren said:

truthfully, i dont think she's thinking about the plot for the separate music videos. shes just going with something quick to get them over with so she can get to the full film quicker - but thats dreadfully taking away from what COULD be her best visual work overall.

im upset :crossed: 

Exactly. These videos were probably intended to be placeholders that are nice to look at, but have little to no plot or substance because she's "saving that for the movie"(that most of her fans don't even want now that she's cutting quality elsewhere to make room for it).

I get that this is her vision, and to an extent I was willing to sit back, shut up, and appreciate that. But now it just feels like she's more or less given up on her art outside of the film medium, which isn't giving me much hope. Even K-12 was more fun than this.. like, right off the bat.

I'm just confused I guess. This era feels like it should be so much more fun than it has been, but something's so off.

I’m fine with these videos instead of a film. Please no more films. This album is really her most palatable but still keeps her quirk. She’s def not going back to anymore super involved concepts after this though. I think after this she’ll start to tone it down and focus more on writing less narrative focused music like we’ve seen on PORTALS. I’m excited for the future. I wouldn’t have this opinion after k-12/after school. She seems to be in a good place rn, so I’m chilling too 

28 minutes ago, Anonymcomenter said:

Thinking about how the Void was a BOP when she teased it as a snippet but as soon as she released it it got boring real quick… idk :pft::smokes3:

Probably because she(and every TikToker, apparently) uses it for almost every single video and "teased" more than half of it before it even released. 

It's a great song, even better that she did it all herself, but the fact that it already feels overplayed and it's only been out for like 3 months says a lot, lol..

3 hours ago, BowOfLove said:

Yeah I think the last of her MVs from the Crybaby era were best. Pacify Her, Mrs. Potato Head, Mad Hatter >>>

absolutely all crushed. Tag, You're It and Milk and Cookies too though>>> regardless, Idc VOID is one of her most creative visuals she's done, regardless of CGI quality/storyline. The worm scene is absolutely beautiful and I got such a special feeling when she cut the head off... she's killing it Imo, and I wasn't even hyped about VOID based on how DEATH was, but she served Imo.